Lynn Mastrob…, Other/Just Looking in West Orange, NJ

We're looking at a few condos for sale in Hamilton Park and we're wondering how the parking is in the area and how would we commute to

Asked by Lynn Mastroberti, West Orange, NJ Wed Sep 22, 2010

manhattan

Answers

9
Lynn,

Great choice. I have lived in Hamilton park for 7 years. On 8th st directly on the park. Never had a problem with parking unless there is a big snow storm. Then you can just park your car in the mall for a day or two. Not a problem at all. As far as the commute there is a bus stop right on the park, but i would think the path is the better choice. It might be slightly further than some other locations, but since I'm not a Agent I can tell you the real DL. As a resident downtown for 7 years and knowing the city very well there are only a few areas you would want to buy. Not saying any other areas are dangerous, but not as nice and......Stay away from grove street and Vanvorst Park. Might be a bit closer to the path, but lack the charm and the neighborhood feal you get with Hamilton Park or Paulus Hook. just a bit more info...if you don't work in downtown NYC the Exchange Path is not direct to Midtown. As a result a lot of Paulus Hook residences walk to grove path. Depending where you are located that walk to the path is no shorter than some walks from hamilton park. Good Luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 24, 2012
Parking is good. You should have no problem.

Call me I can help bring you Home!

Jose Martinez
Coldwell Banker Home Loans Jersey City
201-494-1973
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
Parking is really easy, there are parking lots in the area, the rates start at 165 per month, the parking lots are all near the park at off the park as well.. one is on Erie.. Great area by the way, if you are looking at the Hamilton Park, one of my favorite buildings..

Thomas Laurita
Senior Vice President/Sales Associate
Halstead Property New Jersey, LLC
79 Hudson Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030
201-478-6705 (Direct Line)
646-201-9702 (E-Fax)
973-477-1164 (Cellular)
http://www.halstead.com/properTV.aspx?video=314C9A539E
tlaurita@halstead.com
Hello Lynn,
Very few condominiums in Hamilton Park offer parking. However there are some public parking lots that rent monthly spaces so you should have no problem there. The Manhattan commute is a little more difficult as the PATH station is a not-so-short walk. Whether you choose the Newport-Pavonia or the Grove Street PATH, you will have a good 6-10 block walk. Good luck withi your search.

Bruce Levitt
Coldwell Banker
120 Newark Avenue
Jersey City, NJ
210-420-0720
973-710-2293 cell phone
Hi Lynn,
In my experience, the parking in the area is becoming a bit harder just after 9 p.m. IF you live East of Hamilton park and on weekends, again, IF you live East of Hamilton park since the mall shoppers park on the neighborhood streets to avoid paid parking in the Newport mall garage. That being said, you are still guaranteed a street spot but you may have to circle around a few times. Parking west of Hamilton Park remains very easy.
If you live East of Hamilton park, a walk to Newport PATH is an easy 8-9 min. Grove st PATH is also within an 8-9 min walk. West of the park, add a couple of minutes to your walk.
The only time the street parking does become challenging is after a snow storm as many spots are taken by the snow. Luckily, they suspend street cleaning for a few days until the snow has melted and you don't have to worry about moving your car.
Lastly, residents of Hamilton Park area are entitled to a special discount parking rate in the Newport mall garage , which is only 2-5 min walk from the area depending on where in HP area you are. Last time I checked (2 years ago) that rate was $85/mo with proof of residency in the area. it may be a bit higher now.
All in all, we are enjoying the best of two worlds in Hamilton park - an easy walk to the PATH, clean reliable trains to Manhattan 24/7 (7 min train ride to downtown and 15 to min midtown) and an option of having a car and being able to park on the same block most of the time.
Natalia Chebalina
Hello Lynn,

The street parking tends to be pretty easy in the Hamilton Park area. I live on 9th Street, just a block from the Hamilton Park and my house has private parking in the back. But I often find myself parking on the street because there is plenty of spots and it's easier than pulling into the narrow driveway. Keep in mind that you do have to move your car for street cleaning on weekdays from 1-3pm (except Wednesdays.)

There is an express NJ Transit bus that stops on 8th Street and Jersey Ave that takes commuters to NYC Port Authority. Most people walk to the Grove Street PATH station, which is about a 15 minute walk. Or you can walk to the Pavonia/Newport PATH stop through the Newport Mall. This is an especially attractive option in inclement weather, as some of the walking is inside the mall itself. The train runs 24 hours, 7 days a week and gets you to Manhattan in about 15 minutes during rush hour.

I hope this is helpful,
All the best!
Irene Barnaby
Lynn,

In addition to the other answers provided you also have rental options in the area the cheapest is monthly parking at Newport Pavonia mall should on street parking become too laborious.

Ron Blackman
Hello Lynn!
Parking in the Hamilton Park neighborhood is usually easy to find before evening hours. You will need to request a residential parking decal to park for long hours and over night. This is easy to obtain as long as all of your documents are registered to your new address and the cost is minimal.
In the winter, parking can become a little harder to find as people tend to move their cars less often.

As far as commuting to NYC, your best bet (if you're ok with commuting to midtown) is to take the bus that stops on Jersey Avenue and will leave you at the Port Authority. From there you can connect to other bus lines and trains or walk to your destination.

You can also walk to the PATH train station via Newport or Grove Street. Both are walkable depending on where in the area you will be living. Some of my clients walk to Newark Avenue and from there they take the shuttle to the Grove Street station which runs about every 15 minutes or so. The PATH to NYC is anywhere from 10 - 20 minutes depending on your stop.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to reach me.

Best!
Karina Anillo
Lynn,

From my experience, street parking is not too bad in that area given that many of the homes in the Hamilton Park area are 1-2 family properties, thus lessening the potential amount of people with car.

I was in Hamilton Park last night and found parking rather easily at 8pm. That being said, I'm sure this situation can vary from time to time.

There are not too many parking garages in that area, so street parking may be your best and only option if you choose to move to the Hamilton Park area.

As far as commuting to Manhattan, you would either take the PATH from Newport or at Grove St. Both stops are about a 10-15 walk from the Hamilton Park area.

Please let me know if you h ave any additional questions. I'll be happy to assist.

--
Walter J. Burns
Realtor-Associate
Weichert Realtors
Hoboken, NJ
201-653-8488 Ext: 230
201-694-8946 Mobile
walter@livingonthehudson.com
http://www.livingonthehudson.com