General Area in North Park>Question Details

Skippy, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

We're considering moving to North Park. We have two kids 1 and 3 1/2 yrs old, and we like the "Walking Lifestyle" eg cafe's

Asked by Skippy, San Diego, CA Tue Nov 10, 2009

around in walking distance etc. What can you tell me about the neighborhood in terms of schools, vibe, culture, proximity to everything, shopping etc. And would you recommed it for a young family? Also, what do you think of affordability of housing?

Answers

9
Shirley Fenile’s answer
I live in South Park. It's next to North Park. It's the best. for walking, feeling that you're safe, sharing in a community vibe and knowing your neighbors.

We have a few good eateries. The Station makes yummy carnivor burgers and an outstanding vegetarian one. It's dog friendly and kids can come and run around a wooden protected/fenced trolley replica. Many take yoga at Ginseng. They offer yoga for kids. Enjoy pottery studios and a terrific bookstore called The Grove. Grape Street is home to the largest acre dog park in San Diego. Grants Market sells organic coffee and Bread and Cie bakery goods on a consistent basis.

What's not to love? Buildings are well built from the 20's, and not as pricey as other areas i.e. Mission Hills. Come visit South Park ! Come to the Old House Fair on June 19.
We bought our house in North Park 4 years ago and absolutely love it. We are a young couple and don't have kids yet, but may in the future. As others have mentioned, you need to be careful about which area you buy in. A lot of real estate agents will market their property as being in "North Park" (because it is a desirable location), but that description is very vague and includes some sketchy parts. In general, you want to stay south of University Avenue, west of the 805 (very important), and east of Mississippi Street. The public schools are not the greatest (although they are improving), but there are several great private schools in the neighborhood. The farther south of University Avenue you get, the more residential it becomes (and the less businesses there are to walk to.) The best thing to do is drive around.... Pay attention to the neighboring properites. Avoid buying anything next door to an apartment complex or a house that is obviously a rental property.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 1, 2009
Not sure if anyone metioned it yet, but also look at "South Park". No, not the cartoon!

South Park is a *very* cute community adjacent to Balboa Park. It's pricier that most of North Park but for vibe and culture it's pretty great. Let's put it this way, I wish I had a few listings there. ;)

Kindly,
Paul
Skippy,

I suggest you walk North Park with your family, and see what you think. The closer you are to the main streets, the more activity there is related to the businesses surrounding the area. As mentioned below it is very mixed. There are smaller individual complexes-some that have been upgraded, and larger hotel style complexes that are a bit more urban intermingled with older detached homes. You are on the right track as far as investigating the schools. Once you have your pre-approval in place your agent can help you further investigate your preferred areas.

Kind Regards,

Marcie Sands, REALTOR
760-644-1562
Simply The Best Real Estate Co., Inc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 10, 2009
I love it to, I live in North Park. IF you buy I recomend asking your loan officer to get the FHA203K loan approval for you JUST incase you need it. A lot of the homes here are older, its a wonderful place to live. Older homes usually need some work , sometimes its not a big deal sometimes it is, Having this loan approval will make you a stronger buyer should you find a home that needs a little work done to fund and be approved by Your lender, this comes in handy when your buying a home from a seller that will not make repairs requird by your bank ,and VERY helpful if you are buying a Short sale OR an REO where they may not make repairs for you

Hope that helps
Skippy,
North Park is a desirable, trendy, up and coming neighborhood with lots of newer developments taking place. Affordability is great right now. If you want to set up a free search go to my website. http://www.TheSDLife.com or visit my blog on trulia http://www.trulia.com/profile/justinbrennan/. Thanks and have a great day.
Web Reference: http://www.TheSDLife.com
Skippy,
You got great advice from Mark and Shea about getting a pre approval letter first. You can find lots of useful information about areas you are interested in at...
http://fredeckertgroup.com/template32/nextpage.asp?mnu=49318
Crime, schools, demographics, etc. all available for free. See the link below for additional area information and buyer help at the treasure chest links.
Hi Skippy,

As before, you will get many answers to your questions. In moving here from out of the country, know there are parts of North Park that are very safe for a family and parts that are not. What Justin stated is correct as it is very desirable for investors as it is close to downtown and a very popular rental area. Also know that "redevelopment areas" are undergoing a transformation and have a mixture of rehabbed properties and older properties.

The key for you is to speak to some lenders and find out what you can afford, get a pre-approval letter and then engage an agent. We have had many clients buy there, two bedroom, two bath condos are selling for $200,000 to $245,000. Three bedroom from $225,000 to $325,000 with small single family (1,100 to 1,500 SF( sell from $325,000 to $650,000. The largest determining factors are location and property condition.

We hope this helps.

Mark and Kari Shea
Real Estate Experts Serving San Diego County
Specialists in Investment Properties, Foreclosures, Short Sales,
Development Opportunities & Traditional Real Estate
North Park is a great up-and-coming neighborhood with many opportunities. North Park has a specialized redevelopement area with new shops, businesses, street and infrastructure improvements. I am personally looking for investment property in the area now. Can you tell me a little bit more about your needs and wants for a home? Please give me a call if you are serious about locating a home for your family. I know the area well having been born and raised in San Diego. Thanks! 619-823-2120 _ Justin Brennan