Peter Olds, Home Buyer in 78741

We're considering a move to the Salt Lake City area and could use some advice on where to look for homes.

Asked by Peter Olds, 78741 Mon Jun 22, 2009

We're interested in newer (10yrs old or less) construction, and obviously want to get the most house for our money, but we also don't want to be at the high end value of homes in the area. We would like a nice view and a quiet, safe neighborhood. Based on what I've seen online, we're thinking the eastern sides of Sandy, Draper, or Bountiful. Does anyone have information on these areas, or any suggestions on where else to look? ($300k-350k range)

Answers

13
Peter,

To answer your new question in regards to SunCrest the new homes in that area are holding there values very well at this point based off of the information that you request in your last request I am happy to inform you that the average home price range for the area is mid $200k range to the mid $300k range. I would have to advise that the area can get windy a little bet and the roads will get more snow then in the valley but the views area amazing. A great community to move into. If you would like a free list of homes that are currently available in that community and the areas that you requested information on before I would be more than happy to send that to you as soon as possible. Remember Utah has initiated a new grant to buyers that are looking to purchase a home that has never been occupied or a new construction project
by giving the buyer $4000.00 credit so give me a call today or you can contact me at http://www.utahs1hometeam.com.

have a great evening
Thanks to everyone for the responses!
What are the current thoughts among Real Estate professionals in the area about the unfinished homes in/around the SunCrest neighborhood? Is this a development in trouble or a good investment opportunity?
Dear Peter,

I just wanted to touch base with you in regards to your home search in Utah and give you some updated information. Currently utah is offer a new program called Home Run 2 this a a grant in addition to the $8000.00 First time home buyers Tax insentive and is available to individuals that are looking to purchase a partial finished or new construction. You have to apply for the program by 11/30/2009 to receive the $4000.00 insentive.

take a look at some new homes in the area by visiting http://www.utahs1hometeam.com
I think you are spot on in your assessment. The upper East Bench will be a great area for you to live. I have spent my entire life in the Cottonwood Heights area of Salt Lake City. In between Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons. If you look at the statistics in regards to the areas the have held there value the best through this down turn it is the Upper East Bench areas. Now having said that, the best reason to buy a house right now, is you are buying at the low. And even though these areas have weathered the storm quit well there are great deals to be had. Just make sure you have a professional who is familiar with the area to help you find the best area for the best price.. Good luck.
I think that you are on the right track when you say "you don't want to by at the high end value" in any area. If what you are looking for is a great investment, any of the areas that you mentioned are great. You will find that homes in Draper are for the most part, newer, have amazing views and are at an all time affordable price. If you don't mind an older home: Sandy and Bountiful are great as well. I live in Draper and the neighborhoods are great, schools are top of the line and a few even have a french emrgence program if you have young children in Elementary school. Feel free to contact me if I can be of assistance and will gladly answer any questions.
If you answer a few questions I could give you some great guidance.

What type of home are you looking for?
How many bedrooms?
How many bathrooms?
What is your desired price range?
What features are important to you in a home?

Thomas Wright
(801) 467-2100
I have lived in Utah all 50 years of my life. Your question is where to look?
I need more information about you and I am sure I can help you understand what works best for you.
I am not an agent but I am a mortgage lender and qualifying is also very important too.
Dear Buyers, IF you are looking on the east side of SANDY and you would like to be in the safest area that is closest to the resorts, then take a look at the home that I have listed in a beautiful 25-yr old gated community just south of LaCaille restaurant.

Jane Herron
801 243 5854
To look for homes just go to http://www.utahhomeinfo.com. There you get all the information on every home including price and address. Should you need any additional information just click on the E-Mail For Info button and send customer services you request. The reply will come right to your E-mail, and you won't have to call anyone or talk to anyone to get the info you want.
Web Reference: http://www.utahhomeinfo.com
Peter,

The eastside areas that you are considering are for the most part are very nice with quiet, safe neighborhoods and majestic views.

I would also recommend the Millcreek, Holliday, Cottonwood Heights, Sugarhouse and Liberty Height’s areas. In general the age range of the type of home that you would like to be in will produce fewer listings results, but will worth a look if you don't want to be at a high end value for the area.

As an agent that has lived and sold homes in several of these areas I would be happy to answer any additional questions that you may have about Salt Lake City and it surrounding communities

Feel free to find additional information as well on my website.

Happy Home Hunting..
Peter,

You have so many choices! Some ideas in addition to what Becky and Diana mentioned might include:

For views, looking either north over Salt Lake County or south over Utah County, it is virtually impossible to beat Suncrest. It has a wide range of values from very affordable to estate sized homes. Concieved and built over the past dozen years, it is a community that draws many to "live above it all".

Views looking north and east over the Salt Lake Valley are available in Herriman, and other areas to the southwest. The panoramic view of the Wasatch Mountain Range as it majestically looks over the Salt Lake Valley is breathtaking during the day, and continues after the sun sets.

Driving south on I-15, and taking the first exit towards Highland/Alpine opens to your eyes the magnificent vista of Mt. Timpanogos and surrounding mountains. (I recently moved to Lehi, and am amazed every day I take that drive.)

Living in the southern area of Saratoga Springs there are incredible sights looking across Utah Lake for a full profile of Mt. Timpanogos. The sunrises are surreal when a mist is rising over the lake to meet those early morning rays. As a young master planned community, many of the homes in Saratoga Springs/Eagle Mountain are less than 10 years old.

The benches of Sandy & Draper offer sunsets like no other, and views of changing weather as it marches in over the Oquirrh Mountains. After dark, the lights of Kennecott Copper Mine seem to form the silhouette of an eagle.

When it is time to come to the Salt Lake City area, consider asking your Realtor to spend some time becoming acquainted with these areas, talk about your impressions, and speak candidly about the must haves (commute time, bedrooms, neighborhood amenities). All have homes in the price range you indicated. It just might open up some other areas you had not considered, and that might be a perfect fit for you.

Best wishes as you consider a move.

Cheryl Lyon Associate Broker GRI ePRO
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
cheryl.lyon@utahhomes.com
801.633.6855
Hi Peter,

Yes, those areas are quite nice as far as view, tranquility, safety etc. I've worked with buyers in all of those areas and I think one thing to think about is where will your work be and how long of a commute do you want to have each day. The schools are something to think about also. There are great public schools in these areas as well as charter schools. On my website below I have links to the school districts as well as the different city websites where you can find information about city services (ex. water, sewer, trash collection etc.)

You can also have access to the MLS to search homes via a map which is quite nice to look at the different areas and see what is available based on the location. If you register you can save your search criteria rather than type it in each time, save your favorites to a folder, and it will automatically send you an email when new listings come up that fit your search criteria.

I hope that this info. helps you in your move here to Utah. And I hope that you like it here as much as I do!

Becky Nay, GRI
801-573-2077 Mobile
801-676-5815 eFax
beckynay@kw.com

http://www.beckynay.com My website
Hi Peter,
I recently moved from Austin to the Salt Lake City area. I chose Bountiful but any of the areas you have chosen are nice and would meet your criteria. There are some newer areas in the west part of the valley but you will not have the panoramic views. There are some nice neighborhoods in the Cedar Hills, Highland and Alpine areas but they are farther south. Traffic may also be a determining factor depending on where you will be working. Do you have children in school? Would you like easy access to the mountains? Let me know if there are any specific questions I can answer.
Diana