General Area in Charlotte>Question Details

mmshrader, Home Buyer in Forest, VA

We may be moving around Huntersville in the next year, I would like to know the most economical county to live since I am on social security.

Asked by mmshrader, Forest, VA Tue Jul 9, 2013

Answers

4
Good evening, MMShrader:
Below is a link to property tax rates in NC. You will find that living in the county is less expensive than in city limits. Lincoln Co. is 0.598 Iredell Co. is 0.485 Mecklenburg Co. is 0.7922 Huntersville is 1.0747, meaning for every 100,000 in assessed value, the taxes would be $598 in Lincoln Co, $485 in Iredell and $792.2 in Mecklenburg Co. City taxes will increase these rates.

SC has homestead and elderly exemptions that can reduce property taxes, but their auto licensing is higher. Here is a link to a site that helps calculate taxes in York Co, SC. http://www.yorkcountygov.com/_fileUploads/forms/Portals/0/De…

Bank rate.com has a good review of all taxes in NC and SC, http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/check-taxes-in-your-st… If you appreciate an answer, please give thumbs up. For the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
Mmshrader -- Well, I'd say it's all relative to where you are coming from. When I moved here in 1995 from Nebraska I was very pleased to see the cost of living, taxes, insurance, etc. were markedly lower than where I was coming from. Huntersville, as a town, has a lot to offer -- I lived there for 8 years (now reside in south Charlotte) and loved the casual environment, lake opportunities and the shopping and restaurants and all within minutes of the city. So, my suggestion is to make your comparisons -- yes Huntersville is in Mecklenburg County which is considered "expensive" compared to the surrounding counties, but the cost may not be so drastic for you, compared to where you live at the moment. Please let me know if you'd like more detailed statistics on the surrounding counties -- the cost may be minimal, depending on your commute to work, and lifestyle that you want, etc. I'm happy you are considering a move to our wonderful area!
If you are moving around the Huntersville area you will want to stay out of Mecklenburg county for tax purposes...Even though it is not that high in comparison to more northern areas it is one of the higher tax counties in the area. Living in the area on a fixed income you will want to save where you can and looking just over the county line at Iredell or Carrabus county would make financial sense for you.

Financially speaking moving to South Carolina would be the most economical. My aunt and uncle move here from Connecticut last year and chose South Carolina because of the home stead act. They were able to get the taxes dropped down to $590.00 a year because of being over 65 and claiming their South Carolina address as a primary address and it saved them over $3000.00 a year in taxes.

Dave diCecco
Realtor/Broker
Coldwell Banker United
Cell:704-519-7895
ddicecco@cbunited.com
http://www.davedicecco.com

I would suggest Lincoln County, Iredell County, or Catawba County around Lake Norman for affordability. However, it is more financially advantageous to live in South Carolina than North Carolina. You may wish to check out Indian Land or Clover in SC.

Robin Faison, broker