General Area in 32828>Question Details

Tina_AvalonM…, Home Buyer in Orlando, FL

We currently live in East Orange County and are looking into buying a larger home in a good school district. We are eying on Oviedo and Avalon Park.

Asked by Tina_AvalonMom, Orlando, FL Thu Sep 17, 2009

Many of our friends, including Orange County school teachers, recommend Oviedo for better schools and safety. Some homes in Avalon Park are now sold at exceptionally great prices and we really like the new urbanist community design. And schools in Avalon seem really great. Residents and real estate experts in these two communities, please share your opinions. Thanks!

Answers

7
I also live in the 32828 area. I've lived in Waterford Lakes, Stoneybrook and Bridge Water. If you like the new urban design of Avalon Park, that might be just the place for you. The schools have all been built within 15 years. Most recently Timber Creek High School saw a dramatic reduction of its student population due to the opening of East River High School in Bithlo. That means smaller class sizes, greater opportunities for a larger percentage of students to participate in extra-curricular programs and a better teacher-student ratio. In the past decade Avalon Park has established itself as a very family-friendly community. There are frequent events in the downtown area, doctors, dentists and banks have settled in. New stores have also opened. If you'd like to know more, just give me a call at 321.332.4696. Karl "Doc" Mooney
Web Reference: http://www.avalonpark.com
Well, you're quite right, both area's have highly rates schools but each have their own distinct feel. Avalon with the New Urbanism live, work, play, design, and Oviedo with more of a rural/quieter feel. Typically in avalon you will get more house for your money due to the prevelancy of distressed sales in the area.

I think you should check out the Winter Springs area as it may be a good middle ground between the two feels. Particularly check out the Avery Park neighborhood. The homes in the community have the same type of architecture as you would find in Avalon, is in a highly rated school district, and just up the street from the new Winter Springs Towncentre. The entire area is not a pre-planned community like Avalon Park, but if the architecture of the homes, and the convenience of the shops in Avalon where what you liked, Avery Park is a good option.

Depending on your price range, size of home needed, and upgrades desired will also help narrow down which area may be best for you.
Hi Tina

So Glad you asked. That is what we are here for. This is just up my alley!

I will respond using personal experience and customer feedback. I am in no way endorsing one community over another. I think you should continue to search online and get lots of feedback before deciding.

I have listed and sold homes in both areas for years. In fact my office is in Oviedo. I make this my base for a reason. As a relocation certified agent it is safe to say I get more requests for families relocating to Oviedo than any other area. This is important to you because? Your future value and possible resale value of your new home. Our goal is to get you a great home at a fantastic value and then to preserve that value for you. Well not personally of course, but giving you all the benefits of an area that may help do that for you.

Avalon Park, You either love it or hate it. That is what my customers say. You know the benefits. You should get more bang for you buck here. Great Values, especially if you have time to wait for a short sale approval. The downside is that this area is seemingly going to go on for a while longer in the distress market. There may be a higher concentration of distress tand foreclosures that may last longer than in some other areas. This may affect your value in the immediate future. If you plan on staying for a while then it might be a good choice depending on what you can find Avalon in your price range.

Oviedo on the other hand is in demand and growing daily. I recently helped a family relocate to Live Oak Reserve, a very popular community. This customer did her homework on the schools and she did a great job and chose Oviedo hands down. It was the best choice for her and we looked over the entire area. Oviedo is close to major corporate headquarters, employment centers, University, top rated schools, and always scores high on the factors that help preserve the home value I spoke of earlier.

I hope this helps sort it out for you. Your next step is to hire a Realtor, get in their car and start looking at some home choices. This is where I come in. You will be needing an market value evaluation on your current home, mortage advise, and available properties sent to your inbox. Sounds like my job description.

I would be delighted to talk with you further. I will leave my contact information for your convenience and would love to share some of the links I have saved over the years that will put more prospective on some of the other concerns you have such as crime, schools and ammenities etc.

Thank you for the quesiton and an opportunity to help!

PS I have been on Trulia for some time answering quesitons and connecting with Buyers and Sellers. I have had the pleasure of working with many I have met here. It is a great way to connect! I am super excited to help!

Regards
Gay Middleton
Realtor*Moving You in the Right Direction
gaymiddleton@orlandohomeresales.com
407.493.3699
Web Reference: http://www.gaymiddleton.com
Hello Tina,

Avalon Park/Avalon Lakes and Oviedo have the reputation for having high rated schools. You might also consider Winter Springs or even Casselberry as you will find equally good schools in those areas as well.
Also consider Winter Park and the Waterford Lakes areas.... so you have lots of choices of good schools..

If you need to sell your current home before you are in a position to purchase another, I would be happy
to provide you with a Comparative Marking Analysis of your current home and recommend a listing price.

As a veteran Realtor who is very familiar with East Orange County, it would be my pleasure to provide you and your family with whatever real estate services you need. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Thank you for your inquiry!

Suzanne Ogden, Realtor
Charles Rutenberg Realty
(407) 234-1098
sogden2@cfl.rr.com
Web Reference: http://www.suzanneogden.com
Hi Tina,

Yes, I like the way Avalon Park has been set up, too. They've really taken the guidelines for a Traditional Neighorhood Development to heart. Must admit when I first saw the place 5 yearsa ago, I questioned wether or not they could pull it off, but they have. Love their cozy downtown. Only downside is those cooling towers and the electrical wires easement, but you can't have everything.

Prices are great due to timing. Avalon Park got started only a couple years before the giant market bust and as a result the deals there are now excellent.

Mark LeMenager
Weichert, Realtors - Hallmark Properties
Tina,
Having lived in the Waterford area ( Timber Creek High district). I can say that we are very happy with the schools here. Oviedo also has a great school system. i recommend you visit the schools for yourself. After all no matter what you read or hear it is best to see for yourself!
Hope this helps.
Realtor Rick.
I have a very nice and useful document that I give to my clients and prospective clients when they are seeking information about school districts, demographics, and more.

For school grades and ratings, please see this link: http://www.greatschools.net or even http://www.publicschoolreview.com Depending upon your price range, you may want to look within the Winter Park and Maitland areas as well which all have "A" rated schools.

If I can assist you with anymore information, please feel free to contact me.

Steffani Martino, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate
Steffani.Martino@Floridamoves.com