General Area in Denver>Question Details

Movingagain, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

We are relocating to Denver and are looking to find the best areas to move. We have a 3 year old, so schools and family neighborhoods are a must.

Asked by Movingagain, Denver, CO Wed Jun 23, 2010

Price range - $200-$325k. Wouldn't mind a fixer upper for a foreclosure or house that needs rehab, but just want to find the best neighborhoods, lowest crime, great for kids. Any suggestions? Work is going to be downtown, just off of I-25 next to the Convention Center area. I don't mind commuting 30-45 minutes each way either.

Answers

14
Ethan Besser’s answer
Hi Movingagain,

Welcome to Denver, you have made a fantastic choice! Denver has great schools and some of them, like the Cherry Creek School District, have national recognition. There is low crime in this area and there are some properties available in the upper end of your price range

I am a Relocations Specialist love to help people and would like to offer myself as a resource for any questions about Denver, real estate in Denver and creating a life in Denver for free and for no obligation. I would be happy to discuss school districts and school options for your child. After you settle on the appropriate school districts, I recommend that you should take some time and tour those neighborhoods to see which ones you feel comfortable in. I specialize in Family Relocations and offer a free, no obligation tour of the city!

Also, I provide a Free Relocation Packet that includes:
* Cost of Living Analysis
* Salary Comparison
* Crime Comparison
* Moving Cost Estimate

Thanks and feel free to contact me anytime for questions or information on your move.

Ethan Besser
Keller Williams - DTC
Cell: 303.856.8980
besser@kw.com

The Besser Choice in Real Estate!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 23, 2010
Movingagain,

First of all, welcome to Denver. Where are you moving here from? You will find that there are many wonderful areas in Denver that could possibly meet all of the needs you have mentioned. Some of the areas that come to mind from your brief scenario of parameters are Park Hill - 80207, Green Valley Ranch - 80249, Montclair - 80220. If you are interested in older, turn of the centrury homes, City Park - 80205 is a good suggestion and close to downtown. These all have been workable for others who are looking for the same needs you have mentioned.

These are areas that would not only fit your price range and requests; but also may have the fix-up and foreclosure and short sale possibilities that could work for you. Some of the most popular communities such as Stapleton, Lowry, Washington Park, etc. would pretty much be ruled out with the Price Range you are looking at. I would like to talk to you further to specify your needs and narrow down the search to find the 'right' home for you. Feel free to contact me for further assistance. Also check out the updated IDX search engine on my website at http://www.rmcguire.yourcastle.org. Good success with your search and please know that I will be glad to help.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct: 303-669-1246
http://www.theRobertMcGuire.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 23, 2010
I relocated here 5 years ago and lived in 4 different houses before finally settling in - yes in 5 years! I know you are probably anxious to set down roots but just ensure you are totally confient the area is right for you. Websites are ok and arm you with information but like when your gut will tell you you have found 'the home of your dreams', the same applies to areas - so I recommend you visit lots of them before you find 'the one'.

I know some areas will be mentioned but everyone's tastes and and choices are totally different. What 'I think' might be good area might end up being the complete opposite of what you really want. An agent needs to know everything (well not quite everything but close) about you, your partner, your future plans, your lifestyle etc. Architecture of the home will dictate certain areas, if you want a lot of land, modern lifestyle, family plans? .

If you are wanting a foreclosure, check out http://juliereddingtonrealestate.com/property-search/denver-…

With regard to schools, been there, done that, wore the t-shirt. I was totally overwhelmed by the not just the different school districts, but the different variety of schools. Magnet, Renaissance, Challenge School, Christian, Gifted and Talented .. to name just a few.

The websites are ok, but greatschools.net is very opinionated and are either frustrated or gushing parents.

While the school is one of the upmost important factors, the area has to suit your family. Chances are, if you like the area, and have a good feel of the people in it, the school will be one you like.

What fun! This is such an exciting time for you.. Take your time and interview an agent that you feel you would like to work with (trust me they will be your new best friend ), Read the article below to get a better understanding. Happy to discuss my Relocation experiences - trust me I visited every area imaginable before finding 'the one'
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 23, 2010
Hi Movingagain:

Since the schools are important to you, I would check out the state's CSAP test results. You can download a PDF at:

http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeassess/documents/csap/csap_sum…

Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
303.473.1926
Dear Movingagain,

Check out Five Parks. It is in north Arvada, 20 minutes from downtown. 30 minutes from Boulder.

Great area, Community built around a park, swimming pool, mainstreet area with coffee shops, and pizza place. ALSO, a top notch elementary school located in the middle of the subdivision. Weekly guys poker tournaments.

I don't live there but my brother and sister in law do. I love the area.

I swear every house has 3 kids, very close knit community

Brandon Allen
Compass Realty
303 956 5247
brandon.allen@inbox.com
Movingagin,

I could have used that name myself. If you decide on Littleton/Highlands Ranch let me know. That is my specialty. I live, buy and sell here. We have a 5 year old. Love the neighborhood, schools and especially recreation centers. We are about 30 minutes to downtown.

Derrek
All of the answers are great and should provide you enough food for thought to get started in the right direction. I specialize in the south metro area of Denver, and in Highlands Ranch in particular. This may be one of a few places ideal based on your description.

I've written tons of information on schools, neighborhoods and such on my blog that can give you a better feel for the area. If you would like, please visit http://www.Denver-RealEstateOnline.com for more info.

One thing to mention as well, you will be working downtown by the Convention Center so check out RTD light rail as a convenient way to commute.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/lightRail_subHome.shtml

The train actually stops at the Convention Center. This could save you the hassle of driving and parking everyday downtown - so basing your school & family needs with the additional proximity to light rail may be something you want to consider.

If I can help you further, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Thank you.
Steve Scheer
sold@stevescheer.com
720-849-6101
http://www.stevescheer.com
http://www.Denver-RealEstateonline.com
There are many good areas, I live in Highlands Ranch and it is an awesome area with great schools, 4 rec centers, trails and tons of open space. Here are some links to explore the area.
Brian
http://www.kennarealestate.com/highlands-ranch-real-estate.php
Dear Movingagain,

A very nice neigborhood with one of the best parks/playgrounds around is in the Washington Park area, 10 minutes to downtown 5 minutes to Cherry Creek area for adult fun, plus the best shopping.
I'd be happy to keep looking for a fixer upper /forclosure type homes with great potential.
Please call or email, lets get looking!
Patricia Montour
Keller Williams Denver Central
720-882-8040
patriciamontour@kw.com
Hi Movingagain,

I relocated to Denver 4-years ago, from Chicago, and my wife and I have a five year old daughter. Part of the reason we chose Stapleton is because of the overwhelming number of kids in that age range.

If you want to learn more about the schools, please visit my blog, where you can find a link to the Stapleton United Neighbors Education Committee:
http://www.movetostapleton.info/2010/06/new-stapleton-school…

Unfortunately, since Stapleton is a relatively new neighborhood (the oldest home were built in 2005) there aren't any fixer-uppers, and relatively few foreclosures. But we are only about 20 minutes from downtown Denver.

If you are interested in learning more, give me a call. I would welcome the opportunity to earn your business.

John Keene
Live Green Real Estate
303-547-7578
If you check the State of Colorado website for CSAP scores (linked from our website under Local Resources), you'll find that most people regard Douglas County, Cherry Creek, and Littleton as the best districts in the Denver metro area. Communities in these districts include Highlands Ranch, Parker, & Castle Rock for Douglas County, South Aurora and Centennial and parts of Englewood and Greenwood Village for Cherry Creek, and of course Littleton for Littleton.

Also on our website under Local Resources is a link for comparing demographics for the different communties, including crime rates, income, education, etc.

And of course you can search for homes as well.

If you have any questions, please email or give me a call.
Relocations are 70% of our business.

Marianne Bandy
The Bandy Team
RE/MAX Professionals - Denver, CO
"From Our Heart to Your Home"

303-746-7799 cell
Web Reference: http://www.BandyHomes.com
The Denver metro area offers a lot of choices based on your needs (neighborhood, low crime rate, well-rated schools). It is difficult to mention them all here, especially without talking to you further about your needs. There are many areas that would suit you. Do you like to ski or hike and be closer to those areas? Would you like to be closer to downtown or suburbs? Would you like an older house or a newer house?

We can talk further about your needs and come up with some areas and homes that you like. Feel free to call me or email me anytime.

Jenny Lane
303-887-3615
Lowry and Stapleton are 2 of Denver's premier and newest communities! Our office is located there, so I have much information! Contact me for a relo package and further details! Welcome! derek.camunez@remax.net or 303-991-3888!
Movingagain,
You have got to do this kind of research and find the areas and schools that fit your needs then find a Realtor to help you find the best deal in that area. Fair housing laws do not allow Realtors to steer people into areas based on this information. What is a good school to you is different that what is a good school to someone else the same goes for areas and types of homes etc. I wish you luck but you have got to do the research on your own, a local Realtor can only guide you to where to get the info you seek.
Kent