Connie, Home Buyer in California

We are interested in moving to Margaretville, NY area within two years. I have heard that the area is

Asked by Connie, California Wed Apr 9, 2008

financially depressed. Is that the case? We are looking for a quiet rural place that is not humid. Does Delaware county fit this description?
connie

Answers

8
Msbronson2001’s answer
Hi Connie,
I noticed that you asked this question 3 years ago and that most of the positive answers (6) were from agents. Only one person confirmed your concerns. I am wondering if you ever moved to Margaretville? If so or if not, what do you think about upstate NYS now? Signed, Curious Cat
Hi Connie,
Delaware County is absolutely great. I moved here from NYC 25 years ago, and I and my family love it here. Yes, there are some smaller towns that are somewhat depressed, but the nature, life style peace and tranquility of the rural lifestyle is great. It is a great place to raise children. Summers are not really humid. There will be few days each summer that you might need an A/C, but mostly nice temperatures, cool evenings and nightly dew. Low population density allows for fairly large average size of rural properties @ great deals to be have. Fields, streams, woods or open farmlands are plentiful. If you find a property around this area, I’ll be glad to inspect it for you. Good luck, hopefully you’ll find some nice place to enjoy.
Connie, Delaware County has many areas that you may find beautiful. Otsego County is also close by and has many wonderful towns. You can be close to Oneonta and Cooperstown for shopping and entertainment. If your not sure what area you would like I would be glad to discuss your many different options. I can email you new listings for both areas. Send your contact info to colsen@stny.rr.com and visit my website at http://www.olsenre.com
Web Reference: http://www.olsenre.com
Margaretville is beautiful! Lush green hills, the quiet serenity of the Catskills and a short distance to NYC to make frequent day trips! There is recreation galore, skiing, swimming, hiking, ATV's, horseback riding, trails, cross country, you name it! A community with lots of art, culture and recreation. It is not financially depressed. While the major cities are seeing foreclosures lined up like dominoes, upstate New York has held it's own. Prices are down but not out! I would say the community is very active and thriving. As for being humid, it's a whole lot cooler and less humid in NY that in the southern states! Granted there are humid days but a cool dip in one of the many lakes or your own pool is enough to refresh you! Margaretville and the surrounding areas have some beautiful homes both new and historic; giving you a choice in style and location. If you would like me to email you some of the listings on the market, please feel free to contact me. kmplace02@aol.com
Web Reference: http://www.chesser21.com
Yes, Delaware county is very financially depressed. For the last few years, the county has been determined the poorest county in NY. Many trailers, mostly farm land. Any income for the county comes from the taxes of city folk who have summer cabins for hunting. Also, very limited job opportunities.
Unfortunately, it is still humid here. Because of the forests, we get many mosquitos and black flies.

Hope this helps!
Hi Connie,
I lived in Manhattan for 20 years before I bought a home in the Margaretville area and eventually moved up here permanently. It is beautiful, still pristine in many ways, but more than 65-70% of the area properties are owned by out-of-county residents, which translates to--mostly metropolitan area residents.

We live here without traffic congestion, enjoying fresh air, clean water and a life I refer to as "user friendly"--no standing in lines to utilize services, few traffic lights, and a low crime rate. The weather is wonderful most of the year--the winters are cold, but that is the worst of it. Some people go away for a month+- in the winter, and that usually does the trick for cutting it down to size. We are convenient to many areas--New York City, Albany, Ithaca, New England, and the Adirondacks--I enjoy travel, and frequently take advantage of the proximity to many of these areas.

I could go on, but, instead, if you would like to further discuss any of it--both the pros and the cons--I would be happy to continue with a dialogue. I will send a link to my personal website, so feel free to contact me--I am the Managing Broker of the Margaretville office of Frank Lumia Real Estate Plus!

PS: I have lived here for nearly 20 years and do not own an air conditioner. Enough said.
Web Reference: http://www.jeanorr.com
Connie,

Having spent my entire adult life in upstate New York I feel qualified to tell you there is no real escape from summertime humidity. It isn't there every day but it is a factor and when those "Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer" roll in, it's best to have at least one room equipped with AC.....preferable the bedroom.

It is a quiet, slow paced, laid back beautiful location that is conveniently close the NYS and a whole different world.
Hi Connie,
The Margaretville area is beautiful, safe and prosperous in rural NY terms.
I was the chief reporter for the Catskill Mountain News for several years
and will be glad to talk to you about the area and real estate.
I'm a broker at http://www.timberlandproperties.com
845-586-3321 ext 23