General Area in 29609>Question Details

Gsteve55, Home Owner in Fort Lauderdale, FL

We are contemplating moving to the Greenville area from South Florida. What can we expect for lifestyle and the housing market?

Asked by Gsteve55, Fort Lauderdale, FL Mon Aug 6, 2012

We are an active, outdoors couple who love to ride our bikes, hike and play with our dogs. We would like to be near amenities but also want space for our pups and to be near good road cycling and mountain biking. Our price range would be $350,000 to $500,000 and want a new or newer home. Thoughts and advice? Thank you!

Answers

11
Greenville has an actual Bicycle Plan for making the city attractive and exciting to avid and novice cyclists. It recently won several awards. You can read about it here at http://www.greenvillesc.gov/ParksRec/trails/bikeville.aspx . As others mentioned, the Swamp Rabbit Trail is the crown jewel. It is a 13.5-mile trail that is flat and traffic-free, connecting Greenville to Travelers Rest along a scenic stretch of the Reedy River. It also has shops and stores along the path. For more information, you can visit http://greenvillerec.com/parks/swamprabbit/maps/ .
For your price range, I can recommend a few options by category. In the city limits accessible to Reedy River Park, try the Augusta Road community and Cleveland Park community. The North Main area is also home to a great park with access to the Swamp Rabbit Trail. The San Souci area past North Main is also home to a lot of cyclists. However, it is transitional but is a great investment area for those who want to be close to downtown, able to ride bikes to work or shop and get great value for your money. For outside of the city limits, cyclists and hikers like the Cliffs Communities, Acadia, and many neighborhoods in the Travelers Rest Area. Travelers Rest will offer more acreage and home for your money with access to the Swamp Rabbit Trail, but it is the most rural. All are great options. It really depends on what you want for yourself and your dogs. I hope this helps!
Just did it myself, what a great decision....I would be happy to help you with any questions you have...April I am a florida broker and south carolina broker
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
In Greenville and the surrounding areas there are many options for hiking and biking. The Swamp Rabbit Trail is a huge attraction that stretches from Travelers Rest to Downtown Greenville. Paris Mountain, and Table Rock are great hikes and are close by as well. The campus of Furman University is consistently rated one of the most beautiful in the country, and offers great walking trails and paths for dog-lovers and families.
Here is a short blurb about Furman.
http://newspress.furman.edu/?p=406

Finding a home near any of these attractions will not be a problem for you.
Welcome to Greenville!
I think you will love Greenville, I have worked with many people that have come from there. You didn't mention if you have children and if you are looking for a certain school or if you need to be close to a certain area of town for work. We have an award winning downtown in Greenville and have parks, bike paths, restaurants and plenty of other things that happen on a weekly basis. You said you want a newer home and that is something available in your price range of $350,000-500,000. It sounds like you have already been here and seen Greenville, but if not, google Greenville or Swamp Rabbit Trail in Greenville.
I put together a web site to help people get to know Greenville better. I am a homeowner in the North Main area. Moved here two years ago and love it. For the price you are talking about you won't have any trouble finding a very nice home. Besides the parks and biking there is a beautiful, walkable downtown with events going on all the time. More restaurants than you would believe and a very vibrant, diverse economy.

The big lakes are about an hour away. They are wrapping up a new outdoor ampitheater on the Reedy River and you can't miss the new building going in downtown that will be home to Anthropolgy. Not to mention the revitalization of the Hyatt.
Web Reference: http://lovegreenville.com
We are retired and had lived in Greenville and absolutely loved it. Made the sad mistake of moving to
Florida and are having a hard time getting out due to the economy and housing sales.

If you haven't been there, please go. It is not far from the mountains and only 4 hours to Myrtle Beach.
I want to go back and never leave again.

There are lovely areas near Furman University for biking, but even better areas near Anderson and
Clemson University. Lakes and river abound and before we left a new housing development went
up in that area in your price range. I once heard that when they built the golf course that Tiger Woods had some money invested in the course and had wanted to build a house there.

I am not a real estate agent by any means, but I sure miss Greenville and hope to get back soon.
Within the price range you’re looking, you have many options that will work. Other posting have given you the blue print of what Greenville has to offer. Please feel free to visit my site at http://www.ameripriderealty.com for more information about my company and how we may assist in finding your new home in Greenville.

Good Luck,

Johnny Lee, Owner/Broker
AmeriPride Realty Group
The Greenville, SC area is known to be a biker-friendly community for everyone from the occasional biker to the serious competition athlete. The Swamp Rabbit Trail is a nearly 14 mile (with continued expansion) multi-use (walking & bicycling) greenway that traverses along the Reedy River, an old railroad corridor and City parks to connect Travelers Rest with the City of Greenville. The recent addition of bike lanes on some of the local streets has improved the safety for bikers. Greenville also frequently hosts biker competitions. Several local parks and easy access to numerous hiking trails within a 30 - 60 minute drive of Greenville offer great opportunities for everything from easy Sunday afternoon strolls to the more strenuous hikes and back-packing adventures on challenging mountain trails.

The Greenville area has a national reputation as being a family-friendly, economically strong community with a very promising future offering one of the best lifestyles in the country. Housing continues to be affordable; homes in the $350,000 - $500,000 range provide excellent value for the price.

Please don't hesitate to contact me at any time...my cell phone is always on!

Kindest regards,

Bob Gottschall
864.201.8888
bgottschall@kw.com
rcgottschall@gmail.com
Hi there! Welcome to Greenville!

Greenville is the perfect place for outdoor activities like biking, hiking and walking the dogs! You might like the Traveler's Rest area, as it is close to the Swamp Rabbit Biking Trail and close to the mountains for hiking. The downtown area would also be nice.

As far as lifestyle, I think it will be much cooler in the winter than South Florida and we still have a change of seasons, yet fairly mild climate.

Please let me know if I can help you in any way!

Angela Carson, Broker Associate
Keller Williams
864-380-3413
angelacarson@kw.com
angelacarson.kwrealty.com
I moved here in 1994 from Palm Beach County - it was a different experience moving here. The first thing is navigating the roads - Florida is on a grid - I can assure you South Carolina is not. Cyciing is definelty a hobby for Grenville folks - most people like The Swamp rabbitt Trail. Your price point shoud get you a good selection for homes. It will jjust depend on your individual taste, like do you want a master on the Main, open floor plan, lots of questions for an agent to ask in order to help you find a home that meets your needs inside and out! What kind of dogs do you have? If I can be of further assistance and send you a relocation packet and then we can speak and set you up on a basic home sarch to get your feet wet.

Victoria Cottle, NC & SC Broker
(864) 275-3953 cell
(864) 990-1944 fax
victoriacottle@gmail.com
http://bestgreenvillerealestate.com
Victoria, tell me a little more about your experience with the move and what you have learned.....thx!
Flag Tue Aug 7, 2012
I grew up in Greenville and based on what you told us, if I had similar criteria and interests, in your price range then I would give Cleveland Park a serious look for an Intown neighborhood.

From there, for a comparison and a little more country living, check out Paris Mountain...

You'll grow to love Greenville - I can recommend a competent Realtor if you are interested in getting to know the submarkets of greater Greenville.