General Area in Portland>Question Details

Erinlmahone, Renter in Portland, OR

We are considering a move to the Portland area. We have 3 kids we would like a walkable neighborhood close to good schools with public transport.

Asked by Erinlmahone, Portland, OR Sat Dec 29, 2012

We will be renting at first. Preferably 3-4 BR, pets ok, approx. $1500/mo. Is this realistic? Safety and walk ability are of utmost importance.

Answers

5
Try a Arbor Homes Community in the 97229 area. It has what you are looking for.
I know I’m coming late to this party but I thought there was something I could add to what has already been said.
First, as for walkability the east side has more to offer close to the city center than the west side. Check out Hollywood, Laurelhurst, Irvington, Alameda, Beaumont, Wilshire, Concordia, Alberta Arts, Overlook, Kerns, Mt. Tabor and the entire Hawthorn Corridor*, not to mention Sellwood and Westmoreland.

(* the Hawthorn Corridor includes the following neighborhoods: Sunnyside, Buckman, Ladd’s Addition, Crown Heights, Richmond and the Clinton district.)

For rentals you might want to consider Craig’s List as an additional resource. It will give you a good idea of the overall market for rentals as well as leads. Craig’s list is more up to the minute than many of the other rental sites.
I was born and raised on the east side. If you need anything please don’t hesitate to call.

Michael McBarron, Broker
Windermere/Cronin & Caplan Realty Group
mmcbarron@windermere.com
503-679-9121
Hi There,
I'm going to guess with three kids when you say 'walkable neighborhood' you are interested in neighborhoods you could walk to the park, dog park, school playground, more so than retails shops, coffee and restaurant/bars? There are great areas in Portland and the surrounding suburbs that could work for you. Southwest Portland - Burlingame, Vermont HIlls & Multnomah are all walkable areas with good schools and access to public transportation.On the Eastside of the River you might look at Roseway, Rose City, Hollywood, Mt Tabor and Eastmoreland Heights. You could go further away from the city - Beaverton to the West and Milwaukie, Happy Valley to the Southeast.
If you want to be within walking of retail and restaurants it would be best to stay closer to the downtown area and probably on the East side of the Willamette River. Rents are higher the closer to the downtown core you live. Clinton/Richmond, Hawthorne, Beaumont, Alberta are neighborhoods with fun shops and restaurants, parks too.
As for schools I would recommend taking a look at a couple websites to determine what will work for your family. Determining the schools you are interested in might help you decide what neighborhoods are most appealing:

GreatSchools.org

Portland Monthly Magazine puts out an annual school progress report -
http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/news-and-profiles/city-and…

The last piece to the puzzle is timing. Portland Rentals are in high demand. Good homes are renting immediately. I would recommend coming in to town for a few days or a week to search for a home. Most rental companies require a background check fee $30 - $50, and the first person with the money in, has first option on the rental. I have assisted quite a few out of state renters in locating a home. If you have any questions or would like to talk more about how the rental process works don't hesitate to call.

Best to you -
Diane
Dear Erin,
I do have a rental coming up available in March or so. The home is a 2 bedroom/2 bonus room bungalow/craftsman, in the very popular Hawthorne district for $1590/month. Move in would be 1st/last/ $500 security deposit, and a $400 pet fee. I may be listing the neighbor's home for sale, with same sqft, era. The Hawthorne area is very walkable, trendy, etc. 2 blocks from a middle school.
Do you have jobs waiting for you? Kids? http://www.OregonRealEstateByJewel.com jstockli@prunw.com 503-936-2432
I haven't advertised this yet.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 29, 2012
I've lived in Portland for five years now, and I would not live in the Hawthorne area unless you were single. It's a cool and trendy area but if safety is your concern, as it usually is with families, I'd steer clear of the area. Southwest Portland is your best bet for schools--hands down. I live in Goose Hollow and wouldn't live anywhere else. My kids go to Lincoln High School and walk to school. My daughter Rachel went to Chapman Elementary School and I consider it to be the best choice. Good luck!
Flag Sun Jan 13, 2013
The closer to town the price goes up. Pets will cost $400 pet deposit not sure how many places will take only month to month? Our vacancy rate is about 4% or less so landlords can be picky. Rent is about $1 a foot. I can try and help you find a rental? I just spent some time with a couple find a place from CA. Let me know how I can help you? Tom inglesby