General Area in Petaluma>Question Details

mmgildehaus, Other/Just Looking in Petaluma, CA

We are considering Petaluma. We have 2 boys 7 & 9. We are looking for a friendly, active, community w/GOOD public schools & reasonable housing costs.

Asked by mmgildehaus, Petaluma, CA Sun Feb 17, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3107018672-2-Tu2-Turquoise-Ct-P…

Answers

4
Kathy Schmidt’s answer
I LOVE Petaluama and believe it would meet your needs well. Our schools are good and innovative, the community is, well, it's community-minded. Small town feel with big town know-how. Housing costs are rising again since inventory (homes on the market) is low, and what "reasonable housing costs" are is often based on personal experience. We are certainly more affordable than Marin County but less affordable than Cloverdale. Work with a realtor who understands what you want and can afford -- and Welcome to Petaluma!
Kathy Schmidt (707-775-2209)
Great community, not a lot of jobs, expensive and commute to any good paying jobs is awful.,
Petaluma is a great town for a young family, very community centric, good schools and a real
" hometown" feel. As far a reasonable housing costs, that depends on where you're coming from. Being te closest Sonoma County city for San Francisco commuters, Petaluma is a little pricier than it's neighboring cities to the north. But, it's all relevant, depending on where you're coming from and what you consider reasonable. I'd be glad to talk to you in more detail 707-799-3617 Allison@SonomaCountyRealEstateAdvisor.com or NoDumbQuestion@gmail.com.
As a mom and 9-year resident of Petaluma, I can say that there is not a better community in the Bay Area for raising children. This town's cohesive nature and family-oriented community never cease to amaze me.
Look at http://www.greatschools.org for school info. 3 of our elementary schools last year scored 10/10 from the State Board of Education.
In terms of affordability, Sonoma County is one of the least expensive ares in the Bay Area and Petaluma still offers convenience to San Francisco commuters. Countywide, Sonoma saw a 16% increase in home prices in 2012 but historically, prices are still near 2003 levels. This, combined with super-low interest rates allows your money to go so much further than it did then.
There is a quality of life in Petaluma which is difficult to match. The warm sunny days and cool nights make for happy people and grapes. There is a contentment and local enthusiasm here which I have never experienced anywhere else.