General Area in Austin>Question Details

skyebchase, Other/Just Looking in Austin, TX

We are a family of 3 - my husband, I and a new baby. We are thinking of moving to Austin but don't have a clue about neighborhoods. Any suggestions?

Asked by skyebchase, Austin, TX Sat Apr 5, 2014

My work is on Wild Basin. People have mentioned Lakeside and Bee Cave Way. I would like information on commute, if anyone has it. Thanks! :)

Answers

9
Ariel E. Axelrod’s answer
I would recommend you determine what you can afford so we can better help you with recommendations for areas within your price range. Austin homes within reasonable commuting distance to your potential work area can run from $300,000 to more than a million plus (assuming single family home from 1,800 sq. ft., 3+ Bedrooms, 2+ Bathrooms). Realtors are prohibited from saying one school is better than another but we can share our personal decision making process as well as provider observations on what buyers are doing. Buyers I've worked with tend to focus on Eanes ISD, Lake Travis ISD, and homes/schools that feed into Westwood High School.

A few areas to initially consider are:

Great Hills Area (near the Arboretum)
Jollyville
Westlake (includes the cities of West Lake Hills, Rollingwood, and West Austin to City of Bee Cave)
Bee Cave

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me at (512) 571-9054 or through my site at
http://www.homefinderaustin.com
I would recommend you look at Lakeway, which is in the Lake Travis ISD. Let me know if I can help.
Flag Wed Jul 16, 2014
It really depends on what your price range is and also how long of a commute you are used to and are prepared to have when/if you move to Austin. If your hours are 9 to 5 then be prepared to spend at least 30 to 45 minutes to an hour driving to and from work unless you are able to live in the Eanes School District or close in the Southwest part of town. Prices in those areas will be from $300,000 to several million.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. I have been working as a residential broker here since 1982. I have seen commute times go from 15 minutes to an hour during rush hours and prices go from $50,000 to $400,000 plus! We live in a great city and it seems as though the whole world knows it!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 8, 2014
I think you will really enjoy Austin! I moved here about 4 years ago with 3 children, so I know how stressful that can be. Depending on your budget, there are some really nice areas right off of Capital of Texas Hwy that are in the highly sought after Eanes School District. Somethimes traffic can be pretty bad in that area, so looking in SW Austin might be another option, and you won't have as much of a traffic headache. That is the area I live in and I love it. You can get to downtown Austin within 15 minutes, but there are plenty of amenities nearby with good schools too.

Good luck with your move! If you would like any more information on the area or other suggestions, please let me know. I work in the largest real estate office in Austin with hundreds of talented agents, so I can find an answer to pretty much any question.

Thank you and have a great evening,
Marilyn Hartman
512-903-4110
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 6, 2014

From the looks of the map, your office should be around Bee Caves Rd and Loop 360. Loop 360 is a four-lane divided highway that has a lot of traffic lights and can back up during rush hour. Fortunately Bee Caves Rd is a high capacity road where many commuters exit.

The neighborhood where your office will be located is one of the most scenic neighborhoods in town and also one of the priciest. Homes around this area are zoned for Eanes ISD and start around $500,000 and just go up from there.

What price range are you looking to stay in? I know of several neighborhoods that have well ranked schools and are close to your office. These neighborhoods tend to be around the mid 200s to the low 400s. Oak Hill is one that comes to mind. Oak Hill is an easy commute to your office of around 15-20 minutes and close to just about everything in South West Austin.

If you'd like some more information, please contact me. I would be happy to help you as I am quite familiar with the neighborhoods in South West Austin. I also work with a lot of relocating buyers and can help to coordinate everything remotely.

Jordan Gouger
Keller Williams
512-693-9297
jordan.gouger@kw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 5, 2014
The best approach would be to sit down with an agent to discuss all your needs, timing, budget, expectations, and go over the entire buying process. The sit down meeting is a key part to the buying process as it can be a stressful time if your needs/concerns are not being met.

I have great success when clients are willing to take time to meet and which has lead to positive buying experiences with less surprises.
As far as commute you can use google map or yahoo map to the approximate distance. Also think about your budget as that will open up the areas that you'll be purchasing your home at. Talk to a lender or two and see how much you are pre-approved for.

Susie Kay
Realtor & Certified Stager
United Real Estate
469-371-2899
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net
Seeing listings on the internet never gives the full picture of what neighborhoods looks like. I think as you hone in on your answer if it's right to move to Austin, it might be helpful to visit on a weekend and view various neighborhoods that are close by.

In the meantime, you can also check google maps to see live and predicted traffic to your selected destinations. What is your threshold for a desirable commute time? How much are you willing to spend? Answering these questions will get you started in the process of making your move.
Hi! There are many great areas for a family in Austin. I was born and raised here myself and know the city very well.

Some great zip codes to look into are 78704, 78722, 78745, 78748 and 78613. Those are all good areas and it just depends what your budget is. Do you know where you will be working yet? As being closer to work is probably a priority too. Are you looking to rent or buy?

I hope that helps! Good luck and if you need more help, I would be happy to help you and your family. I have worked with many families re-locating to Austin.
The very first place to start is to talk with a mortgage broker....and have them tell you what payment you qualify for. That payment will direct you to your price range, that will help you narrow down the area's you can look in. I have been in the industry for over 20 years and have place the very BEST loan officer on my team to help my buyers.......he's a pro, give him a call and tell him I referred you:)

Dave Kelly
Gold Financial
512-966-3044

Linda Quist
512-586-9557