General Area in Portland>Question Details

Krista, Other/Just Looking in Eugene, OR

Two 20somethings relocating to portland? What is a good neighborhood to look at?

Asked by Krista, Eugene, OR Tue Jan 20, 2009

My boyfriend and I are moving to Portland in March post graduation. We want to live somewhere that has agood feeling (nothing too 'hip' though, he is more country club than coffe shop),' is safe to walk around at night and is close to shopping, grocery etc. We are renting, not buying, but would love any input on a great place for two 20-somethings. We would really appreciate any ideas on neighborhoods.

Answers

6
Stephen FitzMaurice, Realtor’s answer
I am a 20 something, if barely (29). They are missing a few of the best parts of town, and I know why.
I can help, but I don't want to give it away in front of these fine business people, they will disagree with
me about the true heart beat of the city. Portland is a city of 20 somethings, and I know why.
I moved here for the culture. I'm a business man and from the midwest originally (not a true hipster) but I also appreciate and know the Portland cultural hotspots.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 20, 2009
Ok Krista. Low taxes, good transportation, low crime, walk to shops, access to the freeway, health clubs, night clubs, wetland trails, and other fun stuff can all be found in the following areas:

In the City:

Definitely NW Portland close in between the 405 Freeway and NW 25th street. For a true urban living experience this can not be beat.

In the Suburbs in Order of where I would go:

Bethany Village area: 7 miles to Downtown PDX. Close to Nike, Columbia Sports Wear, Intel. Tons of Parks and shops and the entire area is connected through walking and bike trails. Great Health clubs, a few good restaurants. Out of the Traffic grid. Right at the base of the Tualatin Mountains with access to Forest Park trails. Enhanced Sheriffs Patrol area with very LOW crime. Very YUPPIE Country Club nice feel. Good place to set up camp if you are just getting started.

Tanasbourne area in the High tech Corridor about 10 miles West of PDX has it all.

Orenco Station. Very Cool and pedestrian and light rail friendly: About 12 miles west of town. This area won the best new home community in America three times in a row and there are good choices of apartments, lofts, and homes for rent.

Lake Oswego Old Town: Most affluent area but really cool. Very Country Club with lots of stores and shops and all of the "beautiful people" of course.

Murray Hill. In the Beaverton area.

These are a few.

Use Craigslist in PDX for Rentals. There are a ton on there and lots of people here use it.

Krista this must be a very exciting time in life for you. Jobs may ultimately determine where you guys end up. I wish you all the best in all your endeavors and if you ever need to talk through things just give me a ring at 503-799-8383. I have been here my whole life and lived all around!

best wishes;

Dirk T Knudsen
Re/Max Hall of Fame
Web Reference: http://www.theknudsens.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 20, 2009
Try Sellwood or Woodstock, and the Pearl District would be superb. Overlook is up and coming, and John's Landing is so quaint with its hillside Victorians. Get as close to downtown as you can.
Hey Krista,

Check out the Lloyd district. The neighborhood is walking distance to Lloyd Center Mall, movies and dining. It is also on Portland's light rail's "Fairless Square" so it is easy and free to get around.

Lloyd district is not as posh or trendy as NW so rents are a little more reasonable. The best part about the Lloyd district for me, however, is that you can still easily find street parking in front of the residential areas. Manifesting parking in some of the more popular close-in neighborhoods takes a healthy dose of stealth, endurance and good karma.

Welcome to Portland!
Web Reference: http://www.katiecox.net
I am not hip or young, but as a wanna be I do have a few favorite neighborhoods:)

Close-in N, NE, SW or SE and Downtown/Pearl neighborhoods attract a younger crowd. Cost is generally a factor where everyone lives, so you will need to see what is available to meet your lifestyle choices in each of the areas. North Pdx is near the private University of Portland, Adidias Americas & a major light rail line about 10 minutes from downtown Pdx. It is probably the least expensive area to live and has recently been revitalized by young people moving into the area. Irvington, Grant Park, Alameda & Laurelhurst are wonderful old neighborhoods that often held Portland's up and coming elite (yesterday & today) and while there is a mix of options, cost may be a factor here. Hawthorne/Belmont is often considered Portland's "Bohemian" neighborhood, loaded with businesses of every kind. Sellwood further south is known as Antique Row. The Pearl is a glitzy neighborhood of lofts & condos on the pricey side, but awesome access to everything. Downtown near Portland State are some High-rises, but not much in the way of campus life. The trendy Northwest is also desirable, but a bit pricey. Finally, just south of the city is an upper middle class suburb that has a wonderful mix of suburb and small town called Lake Oswego. You can be in the core Pdx area's within minutes for all the action and still enjoy slightly trendy suburbia.

In the end it all comes down to finding someone you trust to take the data you give them about what you like or don't like about where you live now to be able to direct you to a few great neighborhoods for your exploration. There are many, many other choices too.

http://www.portlandmaps.com will give you demographics & crime data which may also be important to you and if you want extended or specific information about a neighborhood you can contact me directly http://www.reloctetopdx.com

Good Luck. What an exciting time for you!
Krista,
If you don't mind condo living, I'd at least include some of the downtown 'hoods such as the Pearl District or the Cultural District (both include lots of walkability, close to shops, pubs, restaurants, multiple age groups, definitely more country club than coffee shop) or the NW Alphabet District/Nob Hill (more vintage, lots of 20-somethings, walkability, maybe a bit more coffee shop than country club). If you'd prefer a single family house, you might investigage Multnomah Village or the downtown Lake Oswego area. There are some great eastside 'hoods as well (but, you might identify them as more coffee shop than country club). I love that description.....good luck!
Janeese Jackson, Principal Broker
Real Estate Resource
503-709-0802
jj@janeesejackson.com