General Area in Portsmouth>Question Details

Cheryl Haile, Renter in Portsmouth, VA

To be stationed at shipyard. I have heard bad things about the area, would we be better off living in Chesapeake or is it no different than Portsmouth

Asked by Cheryl Haile, Portsmouth, VA Thu Jan 20, 2011

We have searched different areas but we are unfamiliar. Husband will be deployed and want family to feel safe. Also, what is the commute time from Chesapeake to Portsmouth?

Answers

8
You can find great areas in Portsmouth and Chesapeake both. As far as the commute is concerned it can be a little slow sometime depending on the time of the day you are traveling and what road you are on. Compared to some other cities in the USA our traffic is a breeze. Why don't you contact me directly, I will be glad to help you by providing all the information you need to make the best decision for yourself and your family, concerning areas, commute and schools. I have been a realtor for 28 years and know the area very well. I am also a Navy spouse (retired since 1980), I can relate. I hope to help you find your new home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 19, 2011
Portsmouth is a poverty stricken town with a corrupt government. Google Louise Lucas and Mayor James Holley ( actually very entertaining). Mayor Holley has passed but it will give you an idea of what the city government is like in Portsmouth.
There is a large amount of crime and drugs and cops that don't do a thing about it.
Neighbors have been reported for gang activity and selling drugs three blocks away from the police station in olde town and cops have refused to do a thing about it.
All neighborhoods are full of Section 8 housing. Tax rates are the highest in the area, and two of the schools were on "probation" and about to lose accreditation
Homeless dominate the Olde Towne streets and benches during the days and warm nights
Portsmouth also has the highest use of food stamps and Welfare in the area.
Down by the shipyard is near Craddock where all the gang activity takes place. The cops claim to be watching it, but that is all they do is "watch " it. Never any arrests.
City council is a joke also, they back the police not doing anything.
The gates of the shipyard and naval barracks are lined with strip clubs.

Virginia Beach or Norfolk are the way to go!!
City lines are so mix matched in the Hampton Roads region you are much better checking out specific neighborhoods for bad things. It may sound cliche, but on some roads you can go into three cities on the turn of a dime.
I just fled Portsmouth. You would definitely be better off living in Chesapeake. Especially if your husband will be deployed. Portsmouth is full of crime. Deep Creek area of Chesapeake and the Western Branch area of Chesapeake are much better than Portsmouth, they are safe and have a large military community. The commute from Deep Creek and Western Branch isn't more than 15 minutes.
Depends on where in Chesapeake you are. I Live in Portsmouth in the port Norfolk are and Love it here. Please look into some nice neighborhoods in P-Town. Great place!
Weren't there a bunch of shooting down there in Port Norfolk recently?
Flag Fri Nov 8, 2013
Some areas of Chesapeake are worse than Portsmouth. It depends....Chesapeake could be longer than some areas of Portsmouth. The cities are so packed into each other and nearly overlap...it looks like a huge medium sized town except for some pockets of high rises near the downtowns of most of the cities here....It could be a few minutes from an area in Portsmouth and the same from Chesapeake or no time from Chesapeake, no time from Portsmouth. Just depends. I would suggest renting from an extended stay hotel which runs about $250/wk and checking it out. GIven that most rents a QUITE A BIT PRICIER and most don't include utilities, you might be saving money....except for furniture storage. It's not a bad area, and I am quite happy here. The people are great for the most part though there are pockets of gangs in some areas of all. Just don't mess with them, they'll typically leave you alone too...but mostly just good people working hard in one capacity or another.
i grew up in western branch in chesapeake. its a little more expensive than portsmouth, but its much better. i lived in portsmouth from age of 19-25. theres more crime there and the homes are not as nice. but its a lot cheaper. in chesapeake, there are bad sections (i lived off gilmerton rd in deep creek which was awful-had a drive by shooting when i lived there..), but there are more sections in chesapeake that are nicer with nicer homes. if i had a choice, i would live in chesapeake for sure.
The commute time depends on the location you reside on Chesapeake is a large area. I think you might like Western Branch which is in Chesapeake but the edge of Portsmouth. There are some cool areas in Portsmouth. I live in Portsmouth and was born here. I would like to talk to you and assist you with your move. I can set you up so new listings come straight to your email each week. Please feel free to contact me.

Eliza Cespedes
homesnfl@yahoo.com
757-777-1084