General Area in San Diego>Question Details

Jhanrick, Renter in San Diego, CA

Three single guys looking for best neighborhood

Asked by Jhanrick, San Diego, CA Sun Aug 12, 2012

Hi Everyone,

I am moving to San Diego very soon with two roommates. Our ages are 26,29,30 and we are all single. We want to know what neighborhood would be
the best fit. Here is a little more of what we are looking for:

-We would prefer a house. A large condo would also be fine.
-Our budget is 5k-8k month.
-For the most part we arent huge party animals, but we would like the option of nightlife. Good restaurants nearby is important.
-Living near the beach would be a huge bonus. La Jolla is on our list but we worry that it might be too quiet?
-We want a nightlife option, but dont want to deal with a bunch of drunk college kids or early 20 year olds.
-There is one dog, so an area where there are parks nearby.

Based on my research our options would be La Jolla, Mission Beach, Downtown, or maybe 5th 6th ave by Balboa Park. What do you guys think would be our best bet?

We are also looking or a realtor so I will be emiling some of you! Thanks!

Answers

13
jvs90’s answer
Encinitas or anywhere North of the 8 would meet your requirements. I recommend visiting your interested area during day, night, and on Friday or Saturday night. One thing about city living that most people hate is lack of parking, noise, crimes. In Encinitas you can catch the coaster into town. No need to drive, close to the beach, laid back, and has local bars etc.

Check crime stats of area. Crime of late in San Diego has been on the increase.
There are some good answers below. Have you considered Mission Hills? Zip code 92103. It is just south of the 8 and just east of the 5. Easy access to downtown or the beaches
Save your money for your hobbies and pimping your house out!

Best value is Spring Valley! 10 minutes from the beach 20 minutes from the airport. Temperature is nice and stable with a good breeze if you are on the hills. National city and other places close to the beach have tiny lots small houses and is a little more crowded. Bullock street is a nice large safe street with light traffic, large houses, nice lots, views of the ocean and respectful people (Mostly Philippine neighbourhood). Best neighbours I have ever had! For 2-3k you could have it all and 5 k in the bank each month for your night life!
Hi J,
I agree with your choices but would add Mission Valley to the list. You will find that this location is close to everything - shopping, restaurants, movies, freeways, stadium, etc...La Jolla Village is another great area for you and your roommates. Lots of area activities and close to everything.
The Village area will not be too quiet. Most of these options would be for condos or townhouses which would allow pets.
Downtown is a great option. The night life is great, tons of restaurants and shopping and parks. Plus if you like baseball you will be near Petco park which is beautiful and across the street is the Convention Center - home of Comic Con. You won't be bored and it won't be too quiet.
I have a condo/townhouse that is only two blocks from the beach and is upgraded and move-in ready, 2 car garage plus an extra space. Parking will be a problem for any of the beach areas.
When will you be coming to San Diego?
Janet McCarthy
Connect Realty
jmccarthyhomes@gmail.com
858-243-5719
I would say you either want to be Downtown or at Mission Beach. Yes, both locations have young people, but they also have 'older' people. Downtown features the nightlife and restaurants that you are looking for. Be aware that there are different locations downtown that house very sophisticated adult crowds...Little Italy and the Marina District among them.

Mission/Pacific Beach is also popular with old and young alike for those who want the beach lifestyle, enjoy the sand, sun, and surf. Best of all, these two locations are only 20 minutes apart.. These would be my top 2 suggestions.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Just out of curiousity where are you living now? How often have you visited SD and what were the length of your stays and where did you stay? I'm not trying to get too personal but a lot of folks who want to live in the SD area and haven't really spent a lot of time here don't really understand just how simple or difficult navigating the area can be.

Also will your move to SD be permanent? Will you be working here? If so in what area? Where you will be working could largely impact where you may want to live. The public transportation system works will in NC. I use the Coaster and Amtrak frequently when departing from SD Airport or going downtown to take in a Padre or Charger game or for a night or two on the town.

Personally having lived in the OB, PB and MB area for years before moving to NC I can tell you that the NC area is heaven. Parking, conjestion, excessive transiency, tourism, college life, partying, crowded beaches, etc. gets old in a hurry.

Sorry about all the questions but the more info we RE professionals have from you the better we can help you locate an ideal location for you. Given your ages and what little profile you've offerred up I might also suggest the Point Loma, Sunset Cliffs area.

It's a very upscale place to live and not as much of a party atmosphere yet close to it if you want to party occasionally. There's Shelter Island and Humphries which has some of the best entertainment in the Country.

My wife and I have been going to concerts there for years and love it. We've seen some of the best talent there that we've ever seen anywhere and we've traveled the globe following our favorite groups. Additionally, we frequent Anthology in Little Italy which would be an ideal choice to live, work and play.

BTW, we have a home in Vista and a beach home in Leucadia which is about 20 minutes from our Vista residence. Frankly we can get to downtown SD from Vista in about 40 to 45 minutes if we time traffic right and there's no accidents.

If we're staying in Leucadia we can be at the airport, Petco, Anthology, Humphries, the Gaslamp or Qualcom in about 20 to 25 minutes without traffic. BTW, I forgot to mention one of the best entertainment venues in SD is the Belly Up in the Cedros Design District in Solana Beach. We've seen lots a great entertainers there for decades.

I know that's a lot to absorb but without having a closer look at your profiles that's about all I can offer up. If you wish to discuss your personal information more privately please feel free ot call me on my cell: 760 815-6977 or email me at onthelevel@cox.net or feel free to check out our very user friendly websites. Good luck.

http://www.sandiegorealestatetoday.com
http://www.intimatelivinginteriors.com
http://www.chadofalltrades.com
Encinitas is too far north, we want to be closer to the city.
We all work from home so commute isnt an issue.
Hello Jhanrick,

It sounds like Encinitas would be a great fit, but a lot of my answer would be contingent upon where you guys will be working. I'd strongly advise keeping in mind how your commute will be.
Ocean Beach, Point Loma, Mission Beach/Bay, North Pacific Beach, Crown Point and La Jolla would work for you. \I can send you some information if you would like.
Check this site for a search for communities. You answer a few questions and it show you some options http://www.thesandiegopropertyshop.com/Buyer-Information/Fin…

Local Help with Your Real Estate Needs

Jerry Heard
Your Broker
The San Diego Property Shop
http://www.TheSanDiegoPropertyShop.com
jerry.sdps@cox.net
Direct 619-920-9796
Office 619-269-5545
Fax 619-269-9168
CA DRE # 00648687
Dont want to go that far north.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Also, can you tell me the main differences between Pacific/Mission/Ocean beaches? Thanks!
I can send you a free list of homes to view to get you started. I can be reached at scottie1421@gmail.com or you can register at my website http://www.militaryhomesinsandiego.com

Rashard Scott
619-565-3604
Hi Gentlemen, personally I think you are a little too young and single for La Jolla. Plus it's pretty pricey. Downdown can be noisy albeit I love the Gaslamp and Little Italy and the Petco Park areas. If you like the beach lifestyle without all the wild college parties you may want to consider the North County Coastal area.

Del Mar, Solona Beach, Cardiff, Encinitas, Leucadia, Carlsbad and some great places in Oceanside may really hit your hot button. Please feel free to give me a call at 760 815-6977 or email me at onthelevel@cox.net if you're interested in venturing that far Northward.