General Area in Wadsworth>Question Details

Chad, Home Buyer in Wadsworth, IL

Thinking of buying a new home in Wadsworth, IL. Would anyone care to provide any pros/cons for such a move? Would be moving from downtown and?

Asked by Chad, Wadsworth, IL Sun Jan 24, 2010

wondering what type of entertainment is around, such as restaurants (non-chain), shopping (besides gurnee), etc?

Answers

6
old question how did this resolve itself?
Chad, I have lived in Wadsworth for more than 20 years and found it to be a good area to raise my children in. Some of the positives are the larger lot sizes with beautiful mature trees that offer more privacy and serenity. There is plenty of space for the kids to play ball etc in the backyard and even practice golf. The homes are larger at more reasonable prices and still include amenities such as granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. You do need to go to Gurnee for shopping but it is only 10 minutes away. So your neighborhood stays quiet and the traffic congestion is in Gurnee instead. Macy's is opening a new store there in just a few months and there are plenty of other stores in that area. Although, these days, most people do most of their shopping online anyway. The local people know the best (non-chain) restaurants. For example, the Shanty restaurant looks rustic on the outside, but the food there is just as good if not better than what many of the best Chicago restaurants have to offer. You can still have access to excellent restaurants without the higher prices. The Wadsworth location also gives you easy access to expressways for trips to Chicago or Milwaukee. Therefore, you can take advantage of the entertainment that both cities have to offer.
Chad, there are lots of communities to look at "up there" besides Wadsworth that might suit you.

Zion, Winthrop Harbour, Gurnee all have a little more activity than Wadsworth, as well as Antioch (further west and north a bit) which has a nice little "downtown" with a few restaurants, a bunch of chain restaurants too, and a Menards, and a couple of very nice developments (with some big-a** houses) nearby on Hunt Club Road that might make you feel a bit more "Chicago Suburban" vs. "Country Living"

Do a little driving around, up there, with your agent to get a feel for the lay of the land. Yeah, it's not Chicago, but it has it's own perks.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Mike - Thanks for the response. The primary reason is to have more space (Planning to start a family) and our second reason is due to the locatioin of our jobs being up North.

Scott - Thanks to you as well for the detailed response. I am not exactly expecting Wadsworth to be downtown Chicago as we both know it is far from that..ha. But I do want somewhere that I can move to raise a family and potentially stay for 5 - 10 years. I am actually already working with a realtor, but thank you for the offer and again the response.
Chad,
Why are you looking in Wadsworth specifically? I have nothing against Wadsworth, I sell homes here quite often I just wonder what brought you to this area to begin with?

Mike
Hi Chad,

The official tag line for Wadsworth (see the Village Website) is "Wadsworth-The Village of Country Living". And in Wadsworth--that is what you get. You have homes on larger lots and farmettes and farms. Most of the homes are on well and septic--that is not a problem, but you should study online what that entails. Shopping is in Gurnee unless you need feed for your animals which you can get at Wadsworth Feed & Saddlery. Restaurants are in Gurnee--except for two that are at the corner of Hwy 41 & Wadsworth Rd. (The Shanty & Savannah House) which are probably not what you are used to in Chicago. If I was your realtor I would suggest that you spend some time in the area to come to terms with your decision to move to the "Village of Country Living" --especially since your questions are asking about city-type amenities. Wadsworth features a lot of open space, great access to forest preserve and & trails, and a serene quiet setting. I think Wadsworth is a great community--you just need to understand that a move to Wadsworth will bring a lifestyle that is completely different than living in downtown Chicago. Most of the amenities of downtown Chicago can be found in spread throughout Lake County, but you have to drive to them. If you would like help finding a home in Wadsworth I would be happy to provide help. You may reach me at 847-274-3591.
how about zion
Flag Tue Apr 22, 2014