General Area in Brisbane>Question Details

Ms.judge, Home Buyer in Burlingame, CA

Thinking about buying a home from The Ridge in Brisbane. Should I worry about the EMF damage from the high voltage power lines in that area?

Asked by Ms.judge, Burlingame, CA Wed Apr 11, 2012

Answers

4
William’s answer
It has been pretty much debunked as causing an issue. http://www.quackwatch.com/search/webglimpse.cgi?ID=1&que…
Ms.judge:

Regarding Electric and Magnetic Fields (EMF) Radiation from Power Lines:
There are plenty of reports and studies on this subject; however, I'm not sure a FINAL conclusion to this question has been reached. I have run into topic on more than one occasion. For an opinion I turned to a friend who is an electrical engineer who wrote the following:

"In general, the power of the EM field rolls off with the square of the distance from the source. I think that I read somewhere that 300 feet is the region of concern. However, 60 Hz is very low frequency, and I really don’t think there is much merit to the health concern. Also, if you are within a foot of a power cord in your home or office, or even a wall with power running in it, you’ll be exposed to the same field strength (you have to be close though)."

You can also read more about this topic here: http://www.epa.gov/radtown/power-lines.html

Regarding resale:

The truth is that some people will not care about the electrical towers and some will. I would say given a choice, Buyers would choose not to live by electrical towers (or any other non-standard condition) for aesthetic and/or health concerns (whether justified or not). These sensitivities will ebb-and-flow depending on supply/market conditions and how long the Buyer plans to occupy the property.

-Steve
Why risk it? Look at an established home with a private 180 degree water view, like on Tulare Street!
Hi Ms. Judge,
The answer to this question is 2 fold. First I would say that if you have found a Property that you like I would put an offer on the property and try to get into contract with the sellers. With inventory so low a properties selling at an accelerated rate just getting an accepted offer can be a problem.
Secondly, once in contract use the timelines stated in the Purchase Contract for the Property Contingencies to research this question. As a licensed Realtors, we are not qualified to advise you on such matters other than help guide you to someone who is a specialist in that field.

Always remember that at the end of the day it's you that must be satisfied, if not than cancel the contract.

Michael
MKaprielian.com