Macarena Sep…, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

The best family neighbourhood in san fransciso for a family from abroad with a 2 years old baby?

Asked by Macarena Sepulveda, San Francisco, CA Tue Aug 21, 2012

Answers

12
Like my colleagues below I have to say the answer depends. It depends on weather and whether you plan to relocate here permanently and enroll your child in the public school system. If so, the top schools (Clarendon, Burna Vista, Rooftop for example) place a greater emphasis on folks who live in so-called CTIP-1 areas of the city to foster economic diversity because these areas were traditionally underrepresented. If that goal has been accomplished is questionable especially given the realities of the market) and those areas are very narrowly drawn. Good thing is that they tend to include sunnier parts of the city including the Haight, Hayes Valley, the Mission, Potrero, Dogpatch. Each neighborhood is unique on its own of course but all are distinctly San Francisco. Take a look at the information below and let me know if you need anything else. And, welcome to San Francisco!
Marcarena,

There are numerous possibilities in the city and it will depend on a number of factors and price will dictate what recommendations can be made.
Here are some general options:
Cow Hollow, Pac Heights, Russian Hill, Telegraph Hill, West Portal, St. Francis Wood, Richmond, North Beach/Marina

If you'd like more specific recommendations please feel free to contact me.

Lizete
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 21, 2012
For a simple answer try Noe Valley, Marina and Inner Richmond for starters. For detailed information and options feel free to contact me directly.
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 21, 2012
Macarena,

The answer to your question is, it depends. There are many neighborhoods that are great for families, but the best one will depend on your budget, weather preferences and commute needs. Also if you want walkability to shops.restaurants or views, that will affect choices as well.

We work with a lot of international clients and happy to help. Contact info below.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 21, 2012

There are many, but to get a feel of the areas try looking into my companies video's about the different areas you may want to consider. http://zephyrsf.com/agent/matthew-goulden/buy/explore-neighb…
I'm a big big big fan of the outer sunset and outer richmond districts. They are affordable and both have small community feel. I see all the same moms at the local kid hotspots, like the amazing storytimes, park chalet kids concerts, and the beach. Did you know the best preschool in the entire san francisco bay area is also in the Richmond @ 40th and Balboa???!! It's really amazing. I've interviewed so many and can attest to this one being the BEST. And, it's not terribly expensive, all things considered. Check it out!
Noe Valley and Cole Valley are both great choices. We have friends who have children in Grattan Elementary School in Cole Valley and they love it. It is one of the better public elementary schools in the city.
Web Reference: http://www.keyserhomes.com
We used to live in Cole Valley and loved it. It is just blocks from Golden Gate Park, which is beautiful and has great playgrounds for kids. It is also pretty central in the whole city. A new Whole Foods went in on Haight and Stanyan recently, and it also makes the neighborhood nicer.
We have a two year old girl and my wife is from the Dominican Republic. We live in West Portal and love it. It's right next to Muni - which offers very quick access to Downtown and is much better than having to take a bus. There are lots of young families and a good neighborhood spirit - with block parties for Halloween and Memorial Day. There is a great library, and several blocks of shops, restaurants, a movie theater, book store, etc. It's close to a mall (Stonestown) so when you just feel like driving to shop for a more suburbia type of experience - it's right there. Finally it's very close to the zoo and golden gate park.

We love it.
Macarena,

As my colleagues have indicated, there are several great options in San Francisco for you to consider. When I think of families in San Francisco I immediately think of Noe Valley. For one, it has a family feel with many smaller boutique shops and eateries out of your door. There are many families and young children there and it seems the place to be for this kind of demographic.

Of course, there are many other options for you but it would serve you well to come and visit them to get a true feel for each. Will you be renting or buying? What is your time frame for your move?

If you would like further assistance you can contact me directly.

Gabriel
Please have a look at major SF neighborhoods and zip codes on my site. Here you can also see properties for sale in each neighborhood directly from the SF MLS. I'll be happy to assist you in your search. Thank you.
Jeff Tepermeyster, Independent Broker & CEO
(415)-722-6249

Having made the move here myself from England in 2002 there is a lot to learn about San Francisco.

A lot will depends on your budget and lifestyle choice. But Noe, Mission Dolores, Bernal, Glen Park, Cole valley and Inner Sunset / Richmond are some great areas that have not been said by others.

I would advise to meet for a cup of tea to discuss your options.

Matthew