General Area in Greenville>Question Details

Gsteve55, Home Owner in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Tell me about the cost of real estate and living as well as lifestyle in general in Greenville. We are an active, outdoors couple w/no children.....

Asked by Gsteve55, Fort Lauderdale, FL Mon Nov 25, 2013

We are avid cyclists, hikers and love to play with our dogs in the park. We would be looking in the $450,000 to $700,000 range and want a good-sized lot and be near to amenities. I would invite input and info, please......thanks!

Answers

7
Lisa Rourk’s answer
Good morning! You will love the Greenville area. We are located at the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The Swamp Rabbit Trail runs from Downtown in the Cleveland Park area straight to Travelers Rest. You may like some of the older communities in the Augusta Road area, which would be close to Cleveland Park. Montebello is a nice, gated community close to Downtown and Furman University. My family often parks at Furman University, which has a beautiful campus, and then we ride the Trail. There are always people biking, hiking, and playing with their dogs on campus.

I'm a hiker as well. Brevard, NC is 45 minutes away and this is our family's favorite place to hike. It's a beautiful land of waterfalls and lush scenery. We have family in Asheville, NC, which is only about an hour away and there is so much to see and do in this area. Black Mountain is really nice and quaint. Also, the beaches in Charleston, SC are within 3 hours away. Greenville is an incredible place to live! You can take your dogs downtown with you too to eat in some of the outdoor cafes. You must visit Falls Park when you are here. Take your dogs, a picnic, and enjoy the eclectic vibe of Greenville. Contact me if I can help you further. I'd love to assist.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 29, 2014
Hi Gsteve55 - I've lived here in Greenville for just over six years and I'd say that for folks who enjoy the outdoors, this is an excellent place to live. If you located within the downtown/north side, you're within 15 minutes of both Furman and North Greenville universities (which have beautiful campuses for walking & bike riding and 15-20 minutes of several beautiful state parks, such as Paris Mountain and Jones Gap. Just a bit further away are Table Rock State Park and beautiful lakes such as Joccassee and Keowee. As an avid hiker myself, I can attest to the beauty and benefits of the hiking trails in the area!

The northern part of the county is also very popular with cyclists and there are a number of resources for cycling information, trail maps, etc., especially from the Hincapie brothers, Rich and George. You should look up their projects, Pla d'Adet and Hotel Domestique, both of which are geared towards cyclists.
I grew up in Greenville and return often because I still own property there.

You sound like Greenville people!

However, who buys with a $250000 price range gap?

Tighten that up by narrowing your preferred criteria - like what is a good sized lot and what exactly are amenities... Otherwise you could go from Paris Mountain to Chanticleer and back and find probably 30 houses that meet your basic criteria.
Hi, The Greenville area provides many opportunities for cycling, hiking, and other outdoor sports. The lifestyle here is relaxed and fun, with lots of friendly people. Here is a link to a website we used before making the decision to relocate here. http://www.sciway.net/ This site has great information on SC cities and towns. The real estate market in Greenville has remained steady in comparison to many areas of the country, and homes prices are affordable. There are currently twenty homes meeting the general criteria you mentioned in your inquiry, and I would be happy to send those to you. My husband is also an avid cyclist, and there are several cycling groups in Greenville. George Hincapie lives here, and the annual Gran Fondo Hincapie brings 1,200 riders to the Upstate from all over the world. We watch the race each year as the riders race through beautiful tree lined roads in Landrum. I hope this is helpful to you, and please feel free to call me if you have any other questions.
Sincerely, Lorrie

Lorrie Renfrow 864-525-2789
United Country-Upstate Realty of SC
teamrenfrow@gmail.com
Hi Gsteve55. Greenville will be right up your alley with your love for the outdoors! No matter what your price range is, Greenville is has plenty to do for active people at all age levels! Feel free to message me for more info on the area!
Greenville is a great place for you to live! With Roper Mountain State Park in northern Greenville offering hiking and biking trails, as well as the Swamp Rabbit Trail that takes you from Travelers Rest to Downtown Greenville and through Falls Park, featuring several waterfalls, a Historic District, a modern suspension bridge, the Dreaming Tree and acres of lush, green parks. We are not called Greenville for nothing! The kids have plenty to do with the Children's Museum, The Children's Theatre, both located downtown. Several waterparks, ice skating rinks, and a very active Greenville Recreation Center. There is SkyTop trampoline park, a BMX track, and Simpsonville's IMAX as well. As a Greenville mom and Realtor relocated from Los Angeles, it has been important to me to keep my kids active and well rounded. There are many places and ways to find diversity and healthy, mental stimulation for the kids. For the dogs, there are many dog parks, dog friendly locations, outdoor restaurants up and down Main Street, as well as doggy boutiques and doggy treat shoppes. I certainly would love to be of assistance in your home search and help guide you in finding all of the wonderful locations and activities throughout Greenville that would suit your needs!
How exciting that you are considering living in the best place in the United States! We would be so pleased to have you join the growing group of happy Upstate Dwellers. Can I ask you a question? Are you currently working with an agent in our area? If not, can I send you information about our beautiful "Mountains to the Sea" area? I, in all honestly, believe the climate, culture, and amenities the Greenville area offers is like no other area in the South. My parents have just moved here from NC and they agree the climate is better for them, the access to the mountains or beach is phenomenal and airport access is amazing. I look forward to hearing from you soon, and we can exchange contact information. My number is 864-680-0202 or kimstroud @charter.net. Kim Stroud Properties, LLC at Keller Williams.