General Area in Los Angeles>Question Details

HappyDude007, Renter in 92101

Suggestions on neighborhoods/places to live and rent in LA/OC

Asked by HappyDude007, 92101 Thu Oct 3, 2013

Hello-

I'm a single 33 yr old professional male who has recently been offered a job in Santa Fe Springs as an analyst (around $80K ~10% bonus). The company is located near the the 91/605/5, right close to the border of North OC/LA.

I'm originally from the Southeast and I've lived in SD for 7 years (breakup is going to be hard). I need suggestions on places to live around either LA or OC to rent.

Ideally access or close proximity to:

Beach, Trails, Yoga, SuPs, Beachbody Freak (Bit of a Health Nut)
Groceries (Farmer's Markets, Trader Joes, Sprouts, Costco, Whole Foods, etc.)
Healthy Nightlife (Awesome Dining, Wine bars, Lounges)

Thanks for the suggestions on neighborhoods and areas to look into.

Answers

5
I'm on the West side of LA and a distance from that area so I won't give you a suggested area, but a couple of the responses are self serving and I don't think they read your question carefully. You don't need to get pre approved to rent, and I think you should rent for at least 6 months until you know the area well and have a good idea where you'd want to live and buy. Buying is semi permanent, renting is not. Also by what you said Silver Lake is not your area. It's a long way from the beach, and also quite a commute getting through downtown to Sante Fe Springs would be a very time consuming commute, but it's the area that the agent who recommended it works. There are nice communities in north Orange county. I would get a map, come up on a week end, and look around. The beach areas mentioned are very nice but at rush hour the commute may be more than you want. Maybe an area half way between the beach and where you'll be working. Scout around, see what's available in those areas, and rent something, and think about buying sometime next year. For an active single young man a condo rather than a house would probably be your preference.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 3, 2013
Silver Lake is one of the many areas I work and of all the areas I work, Silver Lake rings the most bells for what a happy dude needs, OTHER than distance. But I know plenty of people who live in Silver Lake who commute to OC.
Flag Thu Oct 3, 2013
Generally, some good options for you would be Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, or Long Beach. Bixby Knolls is a great neighborhood in Long Beach. Long Beach in general has become very bike and pedestrian friendly, and a really great place to live. They have established a great sense of family nd community out there with a lot of great events and activities. Huntington Beach area is amazing, younger and more vibrant. They have a healthy night life, great food and all the grocery stores you mentioned. Seal Beach is also very nice, quieter, and close proximity to the Bolsa Chica Wetlands and Seal Beach Wildlife Reserve, which have some nice jogging trails.

I have some other great suggestions as well, if being by the beach is not your top priority. Either way, I can help you find a great place to live. Feel free to contact me anytime at jennifer@urbanhabitatrealty.com or (310) 804-8874. Cheers!
That is almost anywhere in LA or OC.
Work with a local agent and get a more personal insight.
Hi Happy,
You are being relocated North Orange County and surrounding Los Angeles, CA. I would first suggest getting a pre - approval from the bank so you know your purchasing power. I gather you want a walk able area. You know if you will consider a single family home or condo/townhouse. First get pre-approval know purchasing power and investigate areas of interest. There will be desired areas that you qualify for and other desired areas you may not qualify for. Areas that you may desire may not qualify for single family home but same area may qualify for condo or townhouse. Hope this Helpful.

Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP Realty Marina del Rey
310.853.9933
Hi Happy Dude!

I'm originally from the Southeast, too.

Silver Lake is your community. I'd be happy to show you a few places to help you have a softer landing.

Diane McDonald
Keller Williams Realty, Los Feliz
BRE#01019403