General Area in San Diego>Question Details

beijing9726, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

San Diego Neighborhoods

Asked by beijing9726, San Diego, CA Fri Jan 11, 2013

I am looking for an overview of the different neighborhoods in San Diego. I am looking to Buy, budget is between $400,000 and $1,500,000. Prefer a place that is walking distance to restaurants and bars. Also prefer loft type/very open place. Pri

Answers

13
Jay Becker Sotheby's’ answer
Hi there...The property options, prices and areas vary significantly throughout San Diego. Urban, Coastal, Luxury, Residential...as far as open plan/lofts most of these are found downtown SD, however there are a few in the coastal areas. I would love to speak with you when convenient to get a better sense of what you are looking for and following a 5 minute phone call I can start putting together some properties for you to consider. I have been licensed for 22 years, and have a good sense of most areas throughout SD.

Jay@OWN-SD.com
858-222-4321 x7
Hi Bejing,

I don't know if you've found a home in San Diego as yet but I will join the group and offer my services in helping you find the right property. I'm assuming one of the numbers on your price range is a typo. It does seem that one of the condo units downtown would be what you are looking for because you mention walking to bars and restaurants.
However, if that's not the case you do need to talk with a realtor and discuss all of your wants and needs and the true price range.
I can set up an MLS seach that fits your criteria and have it email you properties that match that criteria. Feel free to call or email me to do so.

Good Luck in your move.

Respectfully,

Maureen Hanley
619-6-8-6167
mhanley@sd-realtor.com
Hi Bejing,
Well, that is quite a price range! There are a lot more questions I would like to ask you before suggesting neighborhoods. When you can, email me or give me a call, and we can go over your "need" and "want" list and start finding the perfect home for you!

Thanks!
Sinead McAllister
Broker
McAllister Homes Real Estate
858-205-5215
brokermcallister@gmail.com
http://www.McAllisterHomes.com
If you are young and single, anywhere south of 8 close to the city is appropriate. I would recommend renting in those area first before you buy. North Park, University Heights, South Park, tend to go in historic pattern where at times it can get pretty bad. Meaning crimes, homeless,not the best school district, parking issues. Living city life tend to have city issue. Mission Valley in the newer development is not bad, close to the city but does not have city issue. If you are planing for family etc, Encinitas would be my recommended choice.

San Diego has lots of pocket area that can be nice. I would recommended checking historic pattern in San Diego. Historically South of 8 has always know to be 8, North of 8 always seems to be better.

Here is a good site for referrence:
http://www.richblockspoorblocks.com/
Hello Beijing9726,

That is quite a wide range with your budget and you will definitely see a big difference in places priced at $400,000 and those going for $1,500,000. Given your desire to be within walking distance to bars/restaurants and prefer a loft/open style place, Downtown San Diego (92101) is calling your name. As with any neighborhood, there are pros and cons and it's important to be aware of them. This is where a San Diego native and consummate business professional can best assist you. Another area that could appeal to you is Encinitas as the parameters you mentioned can very well be met.

No matter where you decide, please make sure to do a trial run on your commute (try driving it at different times) as San Diego is such a popular place and with that, unfortunately, comes some traffic.

At any rate, there are lots of great options out there for you and you should be super excited to be making your move to America's Finest City.

Chad Basinger, REALTOR®, CPA, CFP®
858-997-3704
chad@chadbasinger.com
Web Reference: http://www.chadbasinger.com
Beijing9726,

You would be best served by working directly with a REALTOR to spend the time with you and go over all of your criteria and needs as there are several areas that might be of interest. . There are other factors that may be a concern such as commute, school district, HOA dues, Mello Roos taxes and more that you may not be thinking about.

Kind Regards,

Marcie Sands, REALTOR
760-644-1562
Simply The Best Real Estate Co., Inc.
Hi Pri,
Walkscore.com can be useful in finding different amenities near a property that takes your interest. Although you may not get the whole picture of value for a neighborhood from a website as it can be missing something or missing real time information. I would be glad to help you search for a few properties in different neighborhoods and then you may want to explore the surroundings. Do you want to be close to a beach, how many bedrooms, and do you need a garage? Contact me at your convenience.

Michael Urlacher
Realtor®
Prudential California Realty
Cell 858-207-7583
Bus 858-259-6400
mikeu@prusd.com
DRE# 01916452
Good Morning,

While no exhaustive, I have a communities page on my website....if will give you a good start....I'd also be happy to speak with you personally to help tailor my recommendations to your lifestyle.

http://1sandiegohomesales.com/communities/
Good question. It is always a challenge to choose if one is new to an area or City. There surely are some neighborhoods that are more "urban" and walkable. I am currently working with an out of town client who is essentially asking the same question with his criteria also including drive time to work. Because of the "drive" limitation the locations need to be near downtown.

My suggestions included Hillcrest, Northpark, Down Town, especially Little Italy, and Mission Valley.

If close to downtown is not so important I think some great Beach areas (South of La Jolla) include parts of Pacific Beach, Mission Beach and Ocean Beach and near Village area of Point Loma.

The driving factor for location boils down to ones personal preference for ambience of the location, styles of architecture, age and condition of a specific property and if the place feels welcoming.

If you are new to an area it is often wise to rent for a while until you have the opportunity to spend time in and around different locations.
Hello Pri,
are you planning to make this your long term residence?
Many areas within your budget, some may not have the walking distance to restaurant and bars.
Hillcrest, Downtown, some areas of Del Mar, La Jolla and Kensington may fit your criteria.
Do you like to be near the beach? do you enjoy outdoor sports?
Downtown would certainly have the most modern "loft type" open place feel. However, with the right vision and budget you can create your open place space in many homes.

Do you prefer condos or homes?

Call me and let's go shopping for your dream home!
Given the budget you submitted, you have the ability to be a part of many, many communities in San Diego. The next descriptor you used was 'loft type/very open place' and this is most likely downtown. However, if you are open to light, spacious more contemporary properties again, the opportunities are wide open.
I would want to know more about how you live and play. Is a close proximity to the ocean important?
do you entertain a lot and need a large kitchen? Do you need a Garage? Only one bedroom or do you want one or two more? HOA fees are to be considered.
I can be reached by phone, text, or email.
I want to listen to the details.
Shane Pliskin
The San Diego Homes Team
619-208-0535
http://www.sandiegohomesbyshane.com/
The best way to get an overview is to pick a few communities and go check them out either on your own or with a realtor. Your budget seems pretty wide-open. Understand that different realtors will have biases toward what they are familiar with and that may not fit what you are looking for.

For me, I am less of a downtown San Diego person and with that budget would prefer downtown La Jolla, Del Mar, or Cardiff. Pacific Beach would also be something to look at.

To get a detailed overview, you find an agent you are comfortable with.

BeachBrokerBill
CA DRE 01775528
Downtown San Diego would likely be your best fit. There are several neighborhoods downtown which offer high rise lofts and lots of restaurants/bars to walk to.
Feel free to contact me for additional help in locating the right property.
Daniel Di Matteo
Century 21 Award
619.512.0006
Daniel@dimatteogroup.com