General Area in Central Park>Question Details

Carlonemelan…, Renter in New Hampshire

Safe, affordable, closest areas to NYC (midtown?)

Asked by Carlonemelanie, New Hampshire Fri Jul 27, 2012

I am a single mom of 4 going through the early stages of divorce. Moving October, 2012 to NY area with kids. Wanted some opinions on what are the safest, affordable, and closest areas to NYC (midtown) are? Wanted to also move to an area where their school system is good with children that have autism? I am looking to move roughly 1-1.5 hours outside of Manhattan. My children are in the acting field as well, so I need to be no further than about 1.5 hours away from the city. I used to live in Manhatten going back, oh, 18 years ago! Quite some time ago, and am aware that it has changed quite a bit. I still travel there with my kids for their auditions/work whenever they have auditions that is. I am moving from New Hampshire and want to relocate to the suburbs/outskirts of the city. My budget is about $1200 mthly. for now. This whole divorce situation is new to me and do not want to get in over my head. I would appreciate your input on some areas. Thanks in advance!

Answers

9
Please call me. I don't know if you would be interested in an apartment in Brooklyn or Queens, close to Manhattan. I have some nice apartments that I can show you. My name is Tanuja and I can be reached at 347-882-0353. Thank you and good luck with the move!
You may visit http://www.homefacts.com . Also you may talk to the local police station.
Thank you Janet. I will be sure to be more specific next time. I thought by putting 1-1.5 hours away from NY that people would automatically know that any area in that distance (N.J., C.T., P.A.)
Using the criteria that you are looking for combining rent and good school district there is no matching in the outer boroughs of New York either. I didn't rush my response. I'm thinking NY, you didn't say another state was an option initially because if that's the case, there's connecticut. What you are looking for might work for Morriston but not NY. it is what it is but I wish you well.
I thin kthe fact that you said you were willing to commute up to 1.5 hours from the city opens up viable options.

Sometimes, people are so busy rushing in with a response , they don't take the time to digest what has been asked!

If you'd like - email me and I can, in turn, email you anything I find in Morris County, as I have access to that MLS, even if I don't cover the entire county. Union County might be a possibility, too. I would be happy to at least search the MLS for you to check any current listings.

Also, perhaps some NY agents from the outer boroughs will come along with alternate suggestions.
I do realize that I will not find anything in Manhattan for this price range, that is why I stated that I am looking to move outside of Manhattan Tom. I am familiar with the housing prices in Manhattan as I used to live there in the past. I am looking to move outside the city for that reason alone. I am looking for a 2 bedroom for my kids and I and will not need a 3 bedroom which will cost more. Thank you Debbie, for suggesting that I look into Morris County. At least you were nice enough to suggest an area for me to look into. I am not a regular on this site because you do get some answers from people that do not even suggest an area for you to look into. I really would appreciate if I could get some NY/NJ area suggestions and not "STAY AWAY.......GOOD LUCK IN FINDING A PLACE IN THAT PRICE RANGE!" As I already mentioned, I know that I will not find something in Manhattan for this price range, I used to live there. I am looking to move outside the city (about 1-1.5 hours away.) Thank you again.
If you're willing to travel 1.5 hours to Manhattan, then you might want to explore southern NJ, or further out in Morris County, NJ - you may be able to find something in your price range with at least 2 bedrooms.

The closer to the city, the higher the prices........so you very well may use up every minute of those 1+ hours to commute.

Best wishes
Good luck in your search. You won't find anything in Manhattan for $1200 to accomodate 5 people. My advice would be to stay in NH if you can find a place large enough for $1200
I hope someone can give you a suggesion but it seems to me that what you are looking for doesn't exist.