General Area in 11520>Question Details

Leolady35, Other/Just Looking in 11520

Roomate is moving out but will not allow me to show the room

Asked by Leolady35, 11520 Fri Mar 26, 2010

I own the apartment, it is in a coop. My roomate is moving out at the end of the month, but will not allow me to show the room to prospective roomates, what is my legal recourse....What can I do??

Answers

2
Most people understand when looking for a "room" to rent, that it's just that a room.

You could just give specific's such as size, view, bathroom attached, walk-in closet, color, window coverings, etc.

I've seen many ads on internet sites stating their ad's just like that with an explanation that the roomate has not moved out yet. You could have prospective tenants come and view the rest of the apartment & amenities.

It would be easier to just wait it out so there's less hostility with your current roomate. It's only a few days til the end of the month.

Good luck with your difficult situation!
Sounds like you probably have a verbal agreement with this roommate. You may just have to wait until she/he moves out. If you went to court, it would cost you money and would take you longer than it will take for her to move out. You may just have to have that 1 month between when they move out and you can find someone else to move in.