General Area in 11520>Question Details

Leolady35, Other/Just Looking in 11520

Roomate is moving out and I need to show the room for a new roommate. The old roomate will not allow this, how do I deal with this issue.

Asked by Leolady35, 11520 Fri Mar 26, 2010

Do I have a legal right to go around the roomate and show the room or do the have a legal right to stop me???

Answers

3
Allen Bauman’s answer
While you are waiting to find out the answers to the questions asked below it may be a good time to learn the art of diplomacy. You and your soon to be ex-roommate were probably friendly towards each other when you decided to live together. Look back towards the common reasons you had to come together and approach your roomy in a friendly and personable way. Appeal to his/her sense of fair play and decency. Gently remind that person that you probably can't afford to wait until the last minute to fill the vacancy.
If all else fails there's always coffee and donuts in the morning until he/she feels too guilty to say no anymore!!!!!

Allen
Depends on your lease and what it states, if you have one, and is your current roommate named in the lease etc.,
Is this a sublet? Did you have a lease agreement with the room mate, or was it just verbal? If so, you may have to wait until the roommate moves out.