General Area in 85254>Question Details

Jg, Home Buyer in Anthem, AZ

Renting/buying in 85254?

Asked by Jg, Anthem, AZ Tue Feb 17, 2009

I've heard good and bad about 85254. My friend, who currently lives in 85260, told me to steer clear clear of that area, period due to crimes, particularly against children. Is that actually true? Are there areas that need to be avoided altogether? What do you suggest a renter or buyer should look out for when researching this area? What about resale value? Does it's magical stance (Scottsdale amenities but phoenix services) have any affect on resale value?

Answers

9
Bill Austin’s answer
My wife and I lived in Chandler (85226) for seven years. When we moved to 85254 "Magic Scottsdale" in 2005, we did not know it was called that and we were worried that it would live up to the "Snottsdale" or "Snobsdale" reputation that we had heard about it.

Imagine our surprise when we moved in and the neighbors greeted us, came to visit, stopped their cars in the middle of the street to stop and talk, and were all as friendly as could be. We met more neighbors in the first week here in 85254 than we had met in 7 years in Chandler.

We have been unhappy with the drop in resale value here, as people all over the state are, but we believe that the percentage drop in this zip code has been less than in most of the surrounding areas.

Bill Austin
If you would like to check the crime rates in a particular zip code or for an address, you can put the address in online at http://www.crimereports.com.
The term Magic Zip code was coined by Those Callaways. It later was used by other agents trying to promote their listings not realizing that they were also promoting Those Callaways (the originators of the name). It is funny how it has stuck. It has nothing to do with anything else. They were just trying to make their area sound better.

You could pick any zip code and call it the magic zip code and promote it if you wanted to. The point is not to read too much into it and pick an area that fits your needs not because of a term an agent gave it.

The bottom line is whether an area fits your needs. Location, amenities, jobs, etc. Then look at home prices, home VALUES, age of home, etc.

85254 homes are older than say... 85255. 85255 has more planned communities in it. As the city grew North home builders built master planned communities with gated areas and HOA's and more. 85245 still has areas with no HOA's and yet are well located to good schools, shopping, the Scottsdale airpark, jobs and more. Its proximity to highway 51 and 101 make it VERY convenient to the valley.

As for crime. As agents we cannot steer you toward or away from an area, but can point you to recourses to find out more. Each city has crime maps that give you the latest activity as well as any registered offenders.

Crime can hit anywhere. I live in North Scottsdale in 85255 in what would be considered a nice area. However, our cars have been broken into in our driveway. The police say "crews" come by the car load from other areas and walk around looking for easy targets. Fortunately, in my case they were caught. Again, point is, crime can happen anywhere.

As for Scottsdale values vs Phoenix values. North Scottsdale suffered the least in the downturn and is now experiencing a healthy recovery. We attribute this to the big 3: good schools, great amenities, and great shopping.

Give us a call for more: 480-370-3214
to
ScottsdaleScott.com
I have lived in 85254 for 5 years and love it. I have a 5 year old son who attends Sequoya Elementary, and a niece in Cocopah both are excellent schools. Not only are the schools great but, there are numerous large parks in the area. I think it's a great area to raise kids.

If you are looking for a property with a large lot (as we were) you will probably want to focus your search on the southern part of 85254 from Shea to Greenway. The area north of Greenway is newer and and the homes are a little closer together.

I think more then the "magical stance" thing, the main reasons it's a solid area are it's connivence (it's between the 51 and 101), it's proximity to the amenities of Old Town and Kierland, PV and Desert Ridge and of course, the great schools.
I have lived in 85254 for 30 years. I Love my location! I have raised three children here. I have had children in Liberty Elementary, Sequoya Elementary, Cocopah Middle School, and Chaparral H.S.. All of the schools have great statistics, but a school is what you make of it. My children have all done well.

I feel safe in and around my neighborhood. Like any place you choose to live, you must be cautious. My neighbors and police are very responsive to each other. We communicate!

There is a real range in property and price condition in 85254. Some areas have a better rate of return than others.

I love my location and work in this area often. I don't see any reason to "steer clear" of the new Costco that is being built, Kierland, t he golf courses, the location to Scottsdale Airpark, and all of the great dining. If 85254 fits your price range it is a great place to be in "Scottsdale". Phoenix police and PV and Scottsdale School District
Hi Jg-

If you wonder whether 85254 has any extra value for being a Scottsdale address within the Phoenix municipality, all you need to do is compare it with 85032, which starts on the west side of Tatum. Homes on the east side of Tatum in 85254 sell substantially faster, and for a higher price/sq ft, than homes on the west side of Tatum. It's as clear a "other side of the tracks" boundary as you can reasonably find in the Phoenix area, and it's basically the result of the zip code.

85260 does sell better than 85254, so your friend is correct to an extent. But regarding crime rates, etc., I really don't know if that would be the reason. I suspect it has more to do with the difference in School districts (Scottsdale versus PV). You might browse on over to http://www.spotcrime.com and see if you can realistically tell a difference. Or, contact the Phoenix PD and Scottsdale PD for some guidance.

However, I think the best bet for any concerned home buyer/renter, is to visit the neighborhoods in question. Get out of your car and walk a street or two. Talk to neighbors. Visit the parks. Play. What does it feel like? What do the neighbors say?
The 3rd part of that "magic zip code" is It's also in the Paradise Valley School district.

For crimes, every area can have their unfortunate statistics. Best thing to do is look up the crime and sex offender stats and go from there - here's a couple sites: http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Scottsdale-Arizona.html & http://www.azcentral.com/CrimeMaps/

Compare it to where you live now (or surrounding areas) and you might be surprised how no area is immune to crime.
Jg,

Also remember that REAL ESTATE IS LOCAL - Very local - right down to the subdivision or street. Resale values can be effected by many factors (age of home, location of lot, exposure to the sun, surrounding neighbor homes, traffic patterns, air traffic patterns, smells, views etc...). Homes just a few hundred feet a way could be worth more or less than similar homes - consult a REALTOR (Our services are usually free for buyers/renters).

If you decide to purchase a home you will have an inspection period to determine anything that is important to you before you have to proceed.

I hope this helps.
Simple,

Use the BUYER'S ADVISORY as a rental/buying tool to investigate anything that is important to you when renting or buying a home.

Here is the link: http://www.aaronline.com/documents/buy_advis.pdf

Now is a great time to BUY - Really! I would seriously consider buying over renting in the current market.

FREE List of SCOTTSDALE Repo homes with pictures: http://www.ScottsdaleAZRepos.com
Web Reference: http://www.TheKeysTeam.com