General Area in New York>Question Details

Jubilong,  in New York, NY

Renters & Agents: What would make finding an apartment easier for a person?`

Asked by Jubilong, New York, NY Sat Feb 23, 2013

Both renters & agents can answer this question.

For renters: What tools that are currently not available (aside from a real estate professional) would help you find an apartment on your own?

For agents: What tools that are currently not available would help you both speed up finding an apartment and obtain better results your clients?

Jamie Bravo’s answer
There are a couple of things that I think would help salespersons in this industry. As stated below accurate listings would certainly help. Real Estate in NYC moves so quickly. Access to available apartments for showing and previewing. Often management companies do not respond to call when there is a need to show an apartment in their building or are to busy to allow salespersons to preview and apartment. But most importantly, is educating consumer/ new renters in NYC is important. Most do not realize all that is required to lease an apartment in NYC. At Bond we e-mail all of our prospective clients a Renters Guide. Having this information available to all would be helpful.

Jamie Bravo
Real Estate Salesperson
Bond New York
FOR RENTERS: check out - there are available listings directly from the management companies and no fee brokers;

For brokers: know all good rental buildings in your area of service and which ones pay OPs at the moment - then just call these few buildings instead of searching for the listings and verifying their status as of today. I just searched for an apartment for my client and out of 90+ listings 90% were outdated and unavailable. I just ended up calling several building's leasing offices directly to check if they had anything available in our price range.
on you can find them all by choosing "for rent" then "by owner/manager no fee" and then specifying the area and your rice range.

For example on streeteasy there were 1,421 for rent by owner or management company listings
Median price: $3,481 Median size: 700 ft² Median price per ft²: $62
SAVE this search criteria
In my experience a more quickly and accurately updated list of avail abilities would help. Things move very quickly here and a lot of time is spent verifying that a listing is truly available before discussing it with a client.
A less than desirable credit score, from my observation, is the biggest problem for agents helping renters find a home.