General Area in Lincoln Park>Question Details

Scs, Other/Just Looking in Lincoln Park, Chicago,...

Rental units with washers and dryers IN-UNIT

Asked by Scs, Lincoln Park, Chicago, IL Sun Mar 7, 2010

My wife and I are looking to move into Lincoln Park from Evanston, but we cannot seem to find a single rental that has a washer & dryer in-unit. Why is this so difficult and why aren't buildings in the neighborhood equipped to have them? Any ideas?

Answers

7
HI.scs.
call me in some condos they have stackable washer& drayers. were they are in a small closet or I can find one for you at a co. that sells it.

jeffrey ziga

1-773-627-0019

jeffrey.ziga@century21.com
You should keep an eye out for a condo rental, specifically a unit built over the past few years likely have Laundry In-Unit. This became much more of a standard feature in the recent past.

Jeff is correct, lots of cost associated with incorporating it correctly into older units. Washers tend to discharge a high volume of water at a very fast rate. This can overwhelm most older systems.

Wayne Beals
Keller Williams
312-77BEALS
312-772-3257
wbeals@kw.com
The reason many of the buildings are not equipped to have them is that these buildings are old and the plumbing installed was not intended to handle dishwashers, garbage disposals, washer/dryers, and/or some combination thereof. Replacing the plumbing or modifiying the pluming in many of these buildings is costly and/or not practical.

There are MANY units for rent in Lincoln Park that have an in-unit washer and dryer that are available. However, this added amenity does command a higher rent. I would recommend that you engage a real estate agent as their services are free (landlords pay their commission) and they can provide lists of properties that have an in-unit washer and dryer. Realtors can also find properties with certain amenities (pool, doorman, fitness room) or that allow pets.

I hope this helps.
Depending on the price point and other criteria there may or may not be many choices. Buildings built in the 1980's and earlier, even 1990's did not consider the w/d a necessity. It's the same in Evanston where I grew up! Let me know if you would like some help in your search.

philip
Its easier for Realtors to figure out which units have them, where do you want to live is the question. In the mls there are 83 condos listed for rent with washer and dryer. The rents range from 1350 to 15000. I can send you these listings if you would like.

Simir Shah
Simir.shah@gmail.com
P.S. I found 76 rental units ranging from studios to 7 bedrooms and from $1350 upwards to $25k.

Hope this helps!
Hi Scs,

If you give me your search criteria, i.e., # of 'bdrms, # of baths, budget, etc... I can run a quick search utilizing the W/D in unit feature.

You should know that some of the reasons condo buildings (or any rental for that matter) don't allow W/D in units is overflow hazard, water bill expense, lack of w/d hook-up, electrical power, no gas lines, etc..

Let me know if you'd like for me to run a search on your behalf.

Evelyn S. Fred
Baird & Warner
773-696-5594