General Area in Los Angeles>Question Details

JD, Home Buyer in Sacramento, CA

Relocation to Los Angeles-LAX airport area

Asked by JD, Sacramento, CA Sun May 27, 2012

My job will relocate me in next 6 months to Los Angeles, what affordable areas (3bed 2bath under 300k condo or SFH) are in LA. I'll be relocating with children, so good school district and safe areal are important. Looking close to LAX airport

Answers

8
South Bay - you may be able to find a condo in Torrance for under $300k. They have some of the best schools. But be careful - 90501, 90503, 90505 and 90507 are Torrance Unified; the even number zips are LA USD and not as good neighborhoods.

It's 25 minutes max with traffic to LAX. I have a cousin I helped buy in Torrance and he works right next to LAX...usually 20 minutes taking local roads.
The areas that are right up against LAX are LAUSD. Most of my clients would preffer non-LAUSD schools. El Segundo (10 mins) is great! But, the lowest 3 Bed condo is currently mid 500ks. You may be able to get in a better district with a condo in the 300k range, in Torrance (30 min drive). But again it would most likely be high 300k range. Culver city (15 mins) is a good option if you stay within LAUSD.
Feel free to email me if you would like up-to-date listings emailed to you.
Stephanie Hart
Broker-Associate
Forecast Realty
310-918-6856
CA DRE 01338444
http://www.hartssellsouthbay.com
I would recommend looking into a Culver City condo or townhome. The pricing is still a push above (into the $400Ks), but more affordable than single family homes, and the Culver City school district is the highest ranked in the area. There may be other acceptable options. This area is also, naturally, my area of expertise. I welcome working with you on your transaction.
Hi There JD,

I would recommend you take a look at the Westchester area for a reasonable area to consider for possible future purchase. It is also very close to LAX.It is probably the most affordable in WLA. I personally love Culver City for the schools which would also be another consideration for you.

You won't be able to buy for 300,000 in either area, but you can lease and then get the feel of WLA area which in my opinion would be a good first step
Hi JD,
I would be happy to send you a list of properties in and around the 90045 zip code (near LAX) so that you can see what is available and how much oney gets you how much property, etc. Also, I pride myself on my knowledge of schools, etc and so I can help you in that way too. Email me directly at lynnleglaire@sbcglobal.net or call me at 323-2198-4480.

I look forward to hearing from you-
Cheers-
Lynn
Is your company willing to pay for your relocation needs? Our company works with people like you who do need relocate. Call MVP Relocation Associates at 310-670-1100.
Dear JD:

You will have a great challenge finding acceptable housing and good schools in close proximity to LAX within your price range, since West Los Angeles/Santa Monica/South Bay are the priciest areas in our region.

I highly suggest that you discuss relocation assistance with your employer, including a housing silent second loan that will increase your purchase power to the $600,000+ range.

As a professional who has worked extensively in corporate relocation, I can assist you in developing your company offer proposal, ensuring that you have both adequate relocation assistance and a 'gross up' provision in your contract.

Good Luck in your relocation, and feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Meredith McKenzie
Associate Broker
DRE #01142186
323-230-9749
http://www.meredithmckenzie.com
Westchester is a great area; I am a Los Angeles local and grew up there. I learned to play tennis through a local program at Westchester park, walked to the local schools for my education, walked to the market at Emerson and 80th Street (still there) for groceries. Of course, some areas are more desirable (Kentwoood or the Bluffs) but certainly all of Westchester has its good points (Westport Heights, etc) and good schools, parks etc. In addition, Westchester is affordable compared to most other Westside neighborhoods, and close to transportation, etc. The development of Playa Vista continues to help Westchester, as it looks like a real value in comparison. And having Loyola University in the heart of it all keeps the rental market strong.
Should you feel inclined, I am happy to help you evaluate your situation and help you come to a decision that is right for you and your circumstances.
Deborah Bremner
The Bremner Group at Coldwell Banker
REALTOR, 00588885, ABR, CDPE, eAgent, CSP, SFR, HRC, CRE
(O) 310-571-1364 DIRECT
(D) (310) 800-2954
http://www.thebremnergroup.com
Accredited Buyer Representative|Certified Distressed Property Expert |Pre-Foreclosure Specialist Certified
I want you to know that I appreciate any referrals from friends and associates who may be in the market to buy or sell real estate. You can count on me giving them the same high-quality service I provide to all of my clients.