General Area in Atlanta>Question Details

James, Renter in Atlanta, GA

Relocation to Atlanta

Asked by James, Atlanta, GA Sat May 19, 2012

Considering relocating to Atlanta but have no clue where to start looking for rental homes. I would be working up near Dunwoody near the Perimeter Mall. My wife would be working from home 3 days a week and commuting to downtown 2 days a week.

I have no idea what suburbs to start looking at. We have kids so I need a nice area. I am leaning towards something closer to the Perimeter Mall than downtown just because I will have the commute 5 days a week and wife will only have 2. But I still need a commute that is not too painful for the wife for those 2 days.

Any advice?

Answers

11
Perhaps consider the award winning Oak Grove Elementary and nationally ranked Lakeside High School area of DeKalb County, located 8 miles NE of Downtown and approximately 10 miles to Perimeter Mall. There is a wide variety of rental home options due to the close proximity (3 miles) of Emory University and CDCwho attract a lot of professionals seeking nice rentals. Good luck and let me know if you need guidance from an experienced agent and long-time landlord.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 26, 2012
Dunwoody has many fine homes and the schools are also highly rated. Further, it is not a horrible commute to downtown. If you have time, go to my website under "local community" to see multiple links that will be of interest to you regarding schools, the neighborhood, downtown activities as well as statistics on demographics and crime.

If you need any assistance in finding your next home, please feel free to contact me.
FYI, I-285 in that area headed East/South/Clockwise is an absolute drag, as is I-85 North. Peachtree Industrial Blvd. North backs up too.
Check the map here:
http://www.511ga.org/realtimetraffic.html
during the week at times you think you'll be commuting to get an idea of the traffic situation.
Good luck on your move!
To clarify, it's a drag in the afternoon.
Flag Sun May 20, 2012
East Cobb which incorporates Marietta and parts of Roswell has really good public schools and is commutable to both areas. Alpharetta also has great schools if you stay in lower Alpharetta it would be a a reasonable commute and easy Hightway access to 400.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 19, 2012
A search of a 5 mile radius under 1600 results in 23 homes nearly all clustered inside 285 along the 85 corridor 10 miles out increase the results to 170 with a 20-40 in the norther area.
My ideal budget is around 1600/mo. I will start looking a little north of Perimeter Mall, but I was scared to go that far north because of the wife's commute. I guess traffic is going to be a problem everywhere, but was hoping there may have been a middle ground for the both of us.
James if you could provide a target rental rate better answers can be given. Older homes will rent for less than newer ones. This is a mature area with the majority of homes being built between the late 50's to early 90's From the early 90's on most development was higher end infill communities. These newer homes will be pricey. Many people choose a 10 mile radius from Perimeter going in to Roswell, East Cobb Marietta, Johns Creek, Smyrna, Norcross. In these communities you will find more homes built in the 70's to 90's that are more affordable that the same homes closer to Perimeter Mall. If you budget is in the higher range 1600 to 2500 you can find decent sized very attractive homes for rent. In the 1100 to 1600 price range there is a smaller selection, and the homes are smaller, older and have lower quality finishes and condition. As a general rule you can expect to pay 500 per month more to be within 5 miles vs. within 10 for similar homes.

Bruce Ailion,
RE/MAX Greater Atlanta
An Atlanta Real Estate Expert Serving Clients Since 1979
CRS, CRB, ABR, MSRE, CDPE, e-PRO, ESQ
Certified Residential Specialist
Certified Real Estate Broker
Accredited Buyers Agent
MS Real Estate and Urban Affairs
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Certified Internet Professional
203K Certified Specialist
Attorney
2050 Roswell Road
Marietta GA 30062
404-978-2281 Direct
404-386-3682 Assistant Robin
678-760-6266 Buyer’s Agent Adam
770-973-9700 Office
bruce@locationlocationlocation.com
http://www.LocationLocationLocation.com

Bruce Ailion,
RE/MAX Greater Atlanta
CRS, CRB, ABR, MSRE, CDPE, e-PRO, ESQ
Certified Residential Specialist
Certified Real Estate Broker
Accredited Buyers Agent
MS Real Estate and Urban Affairs
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Certified Internet Professional
203K Certified Specialist
Attorney
2050 Roswell Road
Marietta GA 30062
404-978-2281 Direct
404-386-3682 Assistant Robin
678-760-6266 Buyer’s Agent Adam
770-973-9700 Office
bruce@locationlocationlocation.com
http://www.LocationLocationLocation.com

Bruce Ailion,
RE/MAX Greater Atlanta
CRS, CRB, ABR, MSRE, CDPE, e-PRO, ESQ
Certified Residential Specialist
Certified Real Estate Broker
Accredited Buyers Agent
MS Real Estate and Urban Affairs
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Certified Internet Professional
203K Certified Specialist
Attorney
2050 Roswell Road
Marietta GA 30062
404-978-2281 Direct
404-386-3682 Assistant Robin
678-760-6266 Buyer’s Agent Adam
770-973-9700 Office
bruce@locationlocationlocation.com
http://www.LocationLocationLocation.com

Bruce Ailion,
RE/MAX Greater Atlanta
CRS, CRB, ABR, MSRE, CDPE, e-PRO, ESQ
Certified Residential Specialist
Certified Real Estate Broker
Accredited Buyers Agent
MS Real Estate and Urban Affairs
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Certified Internet Professional
203K Certified Specialist
Attorney
2050 Roswell Road
Marietta GA 30062
404-978-2281 Direct
404-386-3682 Assistant Robin
678-760-6266 Buyer’s Agent Adam
770-973-9700 Office
bruce@locationlocationlocation.com
http://www.LocationLocationLocation.com
Others will give a more precise answer, but generally speaking, stick a pin in a map at Perimeter Mall and draw a half circle outside the perimeter (I-285) with a 5-6 mile radius. Anything inside that area will be a good value and meet your criteria.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Thanks Dave. What would an average commute from somewhere just north of Perimeter Mall be to downtown for the wife?
Flag Sat May 19, 2012