General Area in Henderson>Question Details

Melissa, Other/Just Looking in Las Vegas, NV

Relocating to Las Vegas from NC and would like advice on which area is better: Henderson or Summerlin for families. Seeking gated community...

Asked by Melissa, Las Vegas, NV Sat Nov 26, 2011

Looking for a community that is close to restaurants, shopping, good preschools, and offers upscale gated communities. I'm planning on renting initially as I'm relocating for a new job and want to get established in that as well as learn the area prior to purchasing a home. I'm a single mom with a 3 year old and 2 dogs so an area that is safe and close to parks would be nice. It seems like Lake Las Vegas and Seven Hills are very nice, but I've heard Summerlin is nice as well. I'm having to do my search online so any advice would be great!! Thanks!

Answers

9
Both Summerlin and Henderson have pockets of communities that are very nice and are surrounded by parks and trails. Just depends on the size of the home you're looking for, your budget and how close you prefer to live to shopping centers and casinos. Some of the most recognized communities in Henderson are Green Valley Ranch, Anthem Coventry, MacDonald Ranch & Highlands, Seven Hills and if you don't mind the drive Anthem Highlands, Madeira Canyon and even Lake Las Vegas are all beautiful communities.
Melissa-

Since you will be new to the area I think renting is the smart choice to start with. That way you can get a feel for where your job is and what area would be best suited for you. Both Summerlin and Henderson are great choices and if you ask people that live in either community, they will tell you it is the best. To me it would come down to where my job was and what was most convenient. If you are in the southwest, Mountains Edge can be nice too.

When you are ready to start looking, call me about getting pre-approved for a loan. I will get you the lowest interest rate and lowest closing costs out there.

Andy Gutman, Loan Officer
(702) 575-3757
andy_gutman@yahoo.com
Hi Melissa,
Since you are relocating, you may want to think about your place of employment in Las Vegas and the proximity of the drive,traffic, time to that place of employment. Come visit and drive around the areas within so many miles of your employment to explore the shopping, schools, and communities. I relocated from Georgia years ago, as many people have relocated and its hard for someone else to determine what is the best area to live in. Renting is a great option, in that it gives you the opportunity to explore all of the above. I do not believe you can go wrong with either area, as they all have pluses and minuses according to your top priorities. Email me or call me to chat, southerner to southerner!! lapis99@aol.com and or 702-591-0300
Hello Melissa,
There is a reason why Summerlin was the most popular master planned community in the Nation for 10 straight years- it is simply the finest place to live in the entire Las Vegas Valley! This comes from a Las Vegas Native and I would not live anywhere else! When you hear master planned community you think a small little community but Summerlin encompasses 22,500 acres on the western side of the Valley and is currently home to 100,000 people. It is developing its downtown or central core with plenty of retail. office and bars/restaurants. There is 9000 acres left to build and I have learned that the Shopps at Summerlin Centre (a billion dollar regional mall) will restart construction soon and work is ongoing with new subdivisions and new homes! Check out my blog for more great info on Summerlin and feel free to contact me to discuss further or if you have any questions!
Hi Melissa,

Both communities arte great and offer similar amenities, gated communities, parks, great schools, Keep in mind that the City of Henderson is an incorporated city with its own government, police department, fire department, city services, etc. Summerlin is a master planned community, part of which is in the City of Las Vegas and part of which is in unincorporated Clark County. Summerlin does not have it's own government. Both Summerlin and the City of Henderson are served by the same school district -- the Clark County School District.

I live in the City of Henderson and I think it's the greatest place in the Las Vegas Valley. I specialize in buyer's agency and rentals too. Please let me show you around. Dave Crowell, Sellstate NRES, 702-672-4878 or DavidCrowell@sellstatenres.com.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 26, 2011
Mellissa,

While there are many great areas to live in Vegas, it would be difficult to say one is better than another. I have found what's very helpful is for one to tour our cities and then make a selection on what feels right to them. Schools can be checked of the web as well as crime statistics, but when you're looking for the right place to live, it comes down to your personal feelings.
I have lived in Vegas, N. Las Vegas and now in Henderson. As a resident for the past 40 years, there is one difference between the three. Auto Insurance happens to be lower in Henderson.
If you would like my assist, I would be happy to help.
Craig Leidy
Broker/Salesman CRS SFR
702-595-9007
Hi Melissa,

All the communities you mentioned are low crime, have parks, shopping, and preschools. I don't believe you will find the answer you are looking for due to difference in taste and preferences. Your best bet is to personally check out the areas yourself or with a real estate agent. It's like asking you what part of NC is better to live in? I have a brother who lives in Kernersville, NC and will stand by it being better than where my sister use to live before moving to Las Vegas, which was Raleigh, NC.

Best wishes,
Mark Slomka
702-355-3931
http://www.EncoreRealtyLV.com
SlomkaRealty@gmail.com
Consider researching areas of interest online and do visit more than once; also think about working with an agent of your own; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; for school information see link http://www.greatschools.org/
Both Summerlin and Henserson are very nice. Visit http://www.ccsd.net for school information and search for schools with the highest test scores. Henderson is closer to the airport and the Strip. 7 Hills has nice parks, so does some of Summerlin. Just remember most parks are unusable in the summer during the day as it is too hot. You'll find the Henderson rentals slightly better than the Summerlin rentals.