General Area in Atlanta>Question Details

Johnson.cami…, Home Buyer in Fairburn, GA

Relocating to Atlanta

Asked by Johnson.camille, Fairburn, GA Mon Jan 13, 2014

My family are planning on moving to Atlanta later this year. My husband works for Coca Cola he can transfer and I work in the medical field I'm sure I will be able to find something. We are looking at areas fairburn and Fayetteville. We want to rent for the first 6 mo to 1 yr to get to know the area. We will be going to Atlanta in late April to surprise my sister inlaw and I'm going to use that time to look around. Can anyone tell me about areas Fayetteville and fairburn? We have 3 kids 18yrs old, 15 yrs old and 10yrs old so schools are important

I represented a couple new to Atlanta this past year and found them a great home in Fayetteville. Great small town feel fantastic schools and though not as "close in" as Fairburn you could easily compare the two by looking at the area on line. Sort term leases are available around the Camp Creek Parkway area, but if you are going to rent for 6-1yr it would be good for your children to stay in the same schools while you decide to transition. This is probably going to be your most difficult challenge unless you will be using a private school option. If you want to discuss further please give me a call Lorraine Carribean, Broker 678-530-0408
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 14, 2014
If schools are important to you, the best Public school systems in my opinion are on the north side of Atlanta in East Cobb, Roswell and Alpharetta. There are very good public schools located throughout the Metro Atlanta area but the 3 areas I mentioned have the most across multiple school systems.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 14, 2014
If you would like further help or information, please call me at 678-362-7458
Flag Tue Jan 14, 2014
Hi Ms. Johnson,
Congratulations on your move to Atlanta, Georgia. I know the importance of a family having to start over to a new city. Taking care of families is very important to me when it comes to servicing their real estate needs. I have been a Realtor for 15 years and would love the opportunity to assist in your home search. I do know the Fayetteville and Fairburn areas very well. Both are great cities to live in and to raise kids. I am available at anytime to speak with you once you are prepared to start your home search. I look forward in hearing from you soon.

Gwen Harvey
Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Classic
404 564-9500 Office
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 14, 2014
Deciding on an area is a very personal decision to make. Real Estate Agents are not allowed to comment on a variety of topics. The Fair Housing Act restricts the information that can be provided by a Real Estate Agent. Visiting the area and making your own determinations about what is best for you is the way to go. Some websites to try include:

Reasons Why A Real Estate Agent Cannot Comment……

These links should be able to provide some of the answers you are seeking.

If you are looking to purchase a property, working with a knowledgeable and seasoned loan officer is critical in today's market. Getting Pre-Qualified is the only way for you to find out your mortgage options. To get Pre-Qualified for your purchase, you can submit your request online at to get started.

Rodney Mason, NMLS #151088
Sr Loan Officer
Prospect Mortgage
825 Juniper St NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404) 591-2453
Apply Online at
Licensed in Alabama & Georgia with over a decade of mortgage lending experience.

Prospect Mortgage offers a full selection of mortgage programs including:
Conventional | FHA | FHA 580-639 FICO | FHA 203(k) Renovation (Streamline & Consultant) | HomePath® | HomePath® Renovation | HomeStyle® Renovation | VA | USDA | GA Dream | Jumbo Financing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 14, 2014
Hi Camille,

Hank Miller is spot on - the schools in Fayetteville and even more so Peachtree City, are so much better than Fairburn there is no discussion. And the home value retention trends are better as well - though not nearly on par with the best areas of Cobb and North Fulton.

Not sure how much you know about metro Atlanta or why you picked the Southside - Atlanta's Northside offers so much more on every level. I know, I have lived here since 1965 to watch Atlanta evolve into a world class city. I have over 25 years experience in the real estate and homebuilding industry, and know Atlanta Neighborhoods, schools and builders, and have lived in both area's. Still if there is a driving reason to be in South Atlanta, Fayette County really is the place - the only place.

I also think your job prospects in the medical field would be far better on the Northside as well. Coke is a great company and I have helped a few Coke families relocate to Atlanta.

Don't hesitate to contact me for more pointed information and advice. If you decide you want to move to Cobb, North Fulton, DeKalb, or Gwinnett, I would be happy to help you find the ideal home and ensure you make a sound investment.

Unfortunately, I don't go below I-20 because I perform a significant amount of additional services and due diligence on behalf of my buyer clients and can not afford to drive 75 miles round trip to evaluate the structure and major plumbing, mechanical and electrical systems of all the homes you like - or monitor new construction for clients who are building - unless you are in the $600K or above price point.

Robert Whitfield
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
Corporate Relocations | New Construction | Luxury & Investment Properties
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 14, 2014
Everything is local but Fayetteville way before Fairburn...areas of Fayetteville

Anything to do with schools is a Pandora's Box of opinions so I'll defer to the data. If schools are important, I would look at areas of Cobb and North Fulton where a history of success and value retention is present. Atlanta home values are driven by schools, demographics and access...

Here's an article - with data, not opinions, that provide just a snapshot -…

I'm an appraiser as well as agent, i'm on the data first and foremost. There will many other areas offered and they may be worth reviewing - my only point is that a wise buyer defers to history and data.

Let me know if I can help -

Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 14, 2014
Fayetteville great schools, Fairburn schools not so great. Stonewall Tell school district is great. You would be close to your sister in law but in a better school district. If you need assistance,please feel free to contact me.
Rhonda Simpson
Crown Realty Professionals
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 14, 2014
We have several brand new homes available in Fairburn in a nice new community with awesome amenities and ultra low HOAs. We work directly with GA Dream lenders, FHA, And VA to offer new 3, 4, and 5 bedroom homes with as little as 0 down. $500 earnest money and we pay closing costs. What others call extras we have standard (brand new whirpool appliances including the latest gas stove, oven, broiler, built in microwave with fan and under light, wide fridge, and dishwasher; fenced in back yard; cultured marble vanities; built-in pest defense system; ultra efficient insulation, windows, etc.; 10-year structural warranty plus many other warranties throughout the home; We are experts in purchasing, developing, marketing, and financing so we cut out the middle man all the way through giving the best home value far below everyone else. A+ rating with BBB and J.D. power and associated award winner for new home quality. 22nd largest home builder in the nation. Homes starting at $759 a month (Principal and Interest) for a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath two story home. We can work with all credit. Grand opening last week and already sold 8 homes, so give me a call at 404-423-2497
Jared O'Brien
LGI Homes
St. Joseph's
The top schools in the state are in North Fulton. It's like sending your kids to private schools without the cost. It's a great quality of life in the Alpharetta and Cumming areas. That's why the Atlanta Braves all live up here! If you're interested, call me up and I'll pull a report of homes in your price point and get you in to tour some homes. If you can't physically see them, I can take my iPad out and we can livelink up and virtually link up with an iShowing! We have a team ready to help you through the process from offer to closing. I look forward to meeting you!

David Kilpatrick