General Area in 11211>Question Details

Michael Dacko, Real Estate Pro in Brooklyn, NY

Realtors & Brokers: What is your experience with placing a lockbox on a unit in a highrise condo building?

Asked by Michael Dacko, Brooklyn, NY Tue May 15, 2012

I've contacted the management company about this but I haven't heard back from them so I just wanted to see what most realtors are seeing out there.

Answers

4
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I don't think the management company is going to allow me put one on the door so I'll just have to be there for every showing.
It can be pretty crazy. I see them collect in weird areas, sometimes around street posts, gas lines, bike parking spots, all over the place. When I'm helping a buyer it is always an adventure to find where the agents are hiding them.
Generally speaking, lockboxes are frowned upon here in Brooklyn. I do not use them and especially in condo or co-op buildings where owners are taken aback by that black plastic box that some real estate agent affixed to thier building.
I have yet to encounter a locked box used anywhere in Manhattan or the downtown neighborhoods of Brooklyn. Condo buildings would generally have doormen, and they would not let someone in who they could not verify with a call to the apt. that they had legitimate business in the building.