General Area in Highland>Question Details

PDX_seller_D…, Both Buyer and Seller in Portland, OR

Questions about "close-in" Denver neighborhoods.

Asked by PDX_seller_DEN_buyer, Portland, OR Sat Jan 5, 2008

We're considering Highland, City Park, Cheesman Park, Capitol Hill, and Baker neighborhoods. Can someone tell us a little about each neighborhood? We value walking to cafes, coffee shops, and parks as well as being part of an involved community of neighbors. We'd prefer to hear from residents who live in these neighborhoods rather than real estate agents. We have two young children (5 and 2) and want a 3-5 bedroom home.

We're moving from close-in North Portland, OR and would like to find a comparable neighborhood.

Answers

4
I am an agent but have also lived in the Denver Highlands since 1998 and know it very well, through all its growth and change. I have lived in the Denver Metro area for the past 25 year in; City Park South, Capital Hill and Highlands and can give you perspective if you would like. Please check out my website and let me know if I can help.
Web Reference: http://www.denverlohi.com
I am a native. I grew up near Washington Park/Baker/Byers area. You will love the urban charm of these neighborhoods. Recently, I moved from Historic Highlands Square in North West Denver. I can personally attest that these neighborhoods will suit you wonderfully. Yes, Associate Broker that I am- more importantly a past resident of these areas. Vist the neighborhood websites and Historic Denver. If you need any additional information or the website addresses- feel free to email me. Welcome to Colorado-
Oops, another broker, sorry. The walking communities near Washington park on old south Gaylord and South pearl streets, are your best bet. Both offer small mom and pop coffee shops --freinds don't let friends drink starbucks-- bookstores, some of Denver's best restraunts --including the Sushi Den-- and various other stores. If community is important these are two areas you should check out.
PDX - I know, I know, I am the Realtor you did not want to hear from but I couldn't help myself - have you lived or explored Denver neighborhoods before? I am curious because some of the desired neighborhoods by locals (like Wash Park, Bonnie Brae, Observartory/University Park, Hilltop, Mayfair, Crestmoor, Park Hill, etc) are not on your list and if you have not explored or lived here before, then you may want to add these to your possibility list. I recently had a client move from Park Hill to Congress Park and she recently commented she liked the neighborhood in Park Hill better - I am sure there are some who feel the opposite but I thought you may want to hear about some other neighborhoods also

For newer homes in the city, you may want to add Stapleton and Lowry - further East from downtown Denver but both still have amenities like cafes, coffee shops, and parks within the neighborhoods.

For Buyers with children, the topic of schools typically comes up and you can look at the "School Accountability Reports" on the Colorado Department of Eduacation web site (I have listed the link below) - 4th tab down on the left side - you will need to know the name of the school (hopefully you have a good map that includes the names of the schools). I hope some residents from all of these neighborhoods chime in as they are all great.
Web Reference: http://www.cde.state.co.us/