Coastal Comp…, Other/Just Looking in Indianapolis, IN

Port St Lucie FL versus Cape Coral FL, which area is better to raise a family and why?

Asked by Coastal Complex, Indianapolis, IN Mon Sep 21, 2009

We are relocating to Florida next summer. I am a nurse so I can pretty much work anywhere. I have family in Cape Coral so that area was my original plan. However, I have been researching quite a bit and have become very interested in the PSL area. My children range in ages from 1-13 so I am looking for an area that is family oriented but not too boring. Any suggestions?

Answers

3
I know this is an older post but someone else out there may have this question about any other areas vs Port St Lucie. Port St Lucie was ranked the safest city in the state of Florida and the 2nd nicest city in the country based on how many community service hours we've logged. I've lived here for 8 years and have lived in 5 other cities in Florida and can say it is definitely the best area I've lived in as far as living in Florida goes. I've also lived outside of the state in 3 other states so I have a wide array of knowledge of other areas. It's a small city with a small town feel. It's definitely turning more into a melting pot with the variety of people moving here. We get a lot of northerners, espcially with the winter they've had this year and people from "true" south Florida who can't stand the traffic move up this way as well. Very family oriented with things to do, the beach, boating, fishing and much more. We're definitely growing fast so if you do plan to move here do it soon as prices are only going to go up.
I lived in Ft Myers (just across the bridge from Cape Coral) many years ago. I have also lived in other parts of the state so I had something to compare with. I found that SW area of FL very hot ,no breeze and many mosquitoes. It was too hot to do outdoor activities. The winter is nice but for about 9 months it is brutal. I now live in Port St Lucie. It is still very hot here too but at least we have a breeze--that helps a lot. The real estate is very inexpensive in both areas because of a lot of new growth but take a look at the crime stats, schools, employment etc. Come down and visit for a few days in each area. Talk to people who live there with children and see how they like the atmosphere for family living. Sometimes an area that is close by may be a better choice. You may pay more but you may be happier too. I like Port St Lucie because the beaches are closer and there are more available airports, cities to visit, also more activities that are closer. In Ft Myers I felt like all the bigger cities were so far away and only one airport that was close. These are just my own personal reasons why I like where I am. I'm sure the people over in Cape Coral/ Ft Myers have there reasons why they like it over there. Good luck in your choice. Call me if you have any questions about Port St Lucie.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 3, 2009
I would imagine that you have spent time in the Cape Coral area since you mentioned that you have family there. I have owned in the Port St Lucie area for over ten years and have visited the Treasure Coast area for many more. I would recommend that you visit the area followed by completing as much research as you can related to the points of interest and the school systems if that is important to you. Since we all vary so, it is most difficult to answer your question, not knowing the priororities that are most important to you.

Now when it comes to real estate information, I would be happy to provide you with all the information availalble. I suspect you may have been drawn to the spectacular housing prices across our region. Let me know if there is a specific search bracket and criteria you are seeking in a home and I can set up a private search that will send you just the homes that meet your interest. It's a great way to keep informed with the most up-to-date information about available homes.

Also, if you know when you might be able to visit the area, either myself or a partner, would be capable of preparing a tour of vaious homes and points of interest within the area.

We look forward to hearing from you should you desire more information.

Kay Pearson, CRS
Associate Broker
Nettles Coastal Realty
Jensen Beach, Fla
772-229-1300
cellular: 248-860-0366
kay@nettlescoastalrealty.com
Web Reference: http://www.KayPearson.com