Needabiggerh…, Both Buyer and Seller in Mechanicsburg, PA

Planning to purchase a newly built house. Do I need an agent? What assistants can an agent offer?

Asked by Needabiggerhouse, Mechanicsburg, PA Tue Mar 1, 2011

I know the location of the house and the cost. I can reasonably negotiate the transaction. Do I really need an agent?

Answers

7
I think Stacy hit the nail on the head...she represents the seller, and works for the builder. Who, then represents you? An agent can assist in the negotiations with the builder, and concessions are not necessarily price, but upgrades in a new home....when you consider the experience, knowledge and training which a professional real estate agent has, coupled with the fact that their services are free to you, the better question is why wouldn't you use an agent. I can't tell you how many times questions have been asked on Trulia where a buyer has gotton into a deal they wish now they can 'undo'.....using an agent may well avoid you kicking yourself in the future!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
I can tell you,having sold several new builds in my area, that my every one of my clients has gotten a better deal than working directly with the builder's representative. Most people think that the price listed is the price they must pay...which is NOT the case at all. Additionally when it comes to upgrades you can usually get quite a break on them as the mark-up is so high. Find yourself a great agent in your area and let them go to work for you getting you the best deal possible.

Best Of Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
I am a Realtor and work for a builder (I am an in house sales consutant). I always explain what a buyer's agent is and the benefits as well as that I am representing the seller and work for the builder.. Having a buyer agency does not (at least at my company) affect any negotiations. You are treated the same as if you would deal directly with me.

Good luck with your new home search!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
I would use an agent just to be safe. The listing agent will have the sellers best interest in mind so when it comes to negotiations, if you are not big on real estate law, and know the ins and outs with negotiating real estate matters, you could be taken advantage of.
It's kind of like going to court with out an attorney.. people do it, but rarely come out on top. But, again it's all on how much you know about the market, real estate, negotiating, and legal information. If you need help I am in your area and would be glad to go to bat for you!
Web Reference: http://www.joshsoldit.com
I believe you are doing yourself disservice by denying yourself the services of a professional Realtor in your purchase. The question you might ask yourself is, why NOT use a buyer agent? Many Realtors have additional training in Negotiation and their experience in Real estate can't possible hurt your purchase. We can't all be experts in every subject, and since the buyer agent will cost you nothing to use..the answer is clear.
If you go into this without an agent, you will be at the mercy and direction of the Listing agent. The listing agent is there to protect his or her clients best interest. They will then be the one's trying to tell you what's best for you, what price is reasonable, and all this with their clients best interest in mind, not yours. A buyer's agent represents you for FREE. They get paid by the seller, not by you. You might as well use one who is knowlegable and trustworthy, and have them fight for YOUR best interests. An agent does much much more than just negotiate the price for you. From the inspection, to the appraisal, to handling all the paperwork and keeping records, they do their best to make sure you don't get screwed.

Marcin Talaga
Marcin@conlonrealestate.com
One of the "cardinal rules" for home acquisition is, regardless of whether or not it's a resale or new construction is the importance of having your own representation.

In many cases an agent will be able to share with you the sales history, price incentives, and promotions offered by the builder as well as help you obtain the best possible price for your new home.

Try this test....walk in any builder's sales office and indicate that you are working with an agent. They will likely inform you that you will not require their services because they will take care of your needs. The reality is that you may be viewed a more vulnerable without representation.

Most agents will assist you in monitoring to homes progress by visiting the site, taking photos, and acting as the liason between you and the builder. A good agent will be there for you from beginning to end and most certainly help protect your interests.

Sure you can go it alone but the chances of having unresolved difficulties become much greater.