General Area in 36542>Question Details

laurahorton, Other/Just Looking in Hilton Head Island, SC

Planning to buy or build a retirement home at the beach. I love Kiva Dunes. Can you give me any "local" knowledge about Kiva?

Asked by laurahorton, Hilton Head Island, SC Sat Nov 3, 2012

Recently visited the area house hunting and love Kiva Dunes. Exactly what I am looking for except...I was told that most of the homes are rentals and during "off season" times the place can be pretty empty. Also, how long has it been building (lots of empty lots still) and, in your opinion, do you think it will get 90% built out in the next decade or so? And how has Kiva survived the hurricanes? Thanks. I would love to buy something right now - before the market starts to rebound.

Answers

5
Kiva is exceptional, the best set of beach homes on extraordinary dunes in the area, wonderful amenities and a well heeled developer who appears committed to the property long term. They have not had any hurricane problems.

It has the feel of early Hilton Head, some of the first Sea Pines Plantation and Palmetto Dunes beach homes when it was uncrowded and delightful.

90% built out...possible. There has been a one or lots turn over in the past year and there is not a lot of bargains on the beach so building is a good option as well.

We live and work on Ft Morgan and would be happy to help you in any way.
Kay and Gary Gilpin, Great Southern Real Estate, 251 752 4912
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Kiva Dunes is a wonderful area for piece and quite. But I don't know about your getting 90% of your investment back. There are some areas that are in a flood zone in Fort Morgan. So you need to be careful and get that checked out. Who can tell about Hurricans. But if you love the area and that's where you want to be. Invest in that vaction home for your family! If you have any other questions please contact me at Realty 1st. Sandra Walker 256-339-4193
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Hi Laura,
Looks like you have gotten some very good answers. Kiva is very nice, but a lot of retirees choose to build or purchase homes in Craft Farms. They have great golf courses as well. But Kiva can be a grand choice as well. If you decide on either I would be happy to help you out and can recommend a couple of very good builders to construct your new home. Let me know what I can do to help.

Tim Newman
RE/MAX of Orange Beach
251-223-9185 - Cell Phone
http://www.GulfShoresRealEstate.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
Kiva Dunes has been in existence for approximately 15 years. It is a beautiful development but the draw back is a two lane, windy highway 16+ miles out. For many, many years there have been plans to straighten and add 4 lanes to Hwy 180 (Dixie Graves Pkwy)all the way to the Fort. Will it ever happen? I think yes..will Kiva Dunes reach 90% within the next decade? I also think yes. If you love the unique
beachfront isolation coupled with the
fantastic golf course Kiva Dunes offers, I would suggest you buy now because prices are moving up. \

Kiva Dunes fared very well in our last big storm, Hurricane Ivan.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
Hi Laura. Kiva Dunes is considered to be a vacation destination neighborhood however I do know a family that lives there in a retirement home. Maybe if you tell me more about what you like about Kiva I can recommend a neighborhood that is primarily retirement homes. Kiva survived H Ivan fairly well however access was blocked since ft Morgan road was flooded and covered with debris. I offer a weekly distress sale report on luxury homes that you may want to subscribe to. http://www.MyFavoriteAgent.com Tami Roberts 251-223-2921
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012