General Area in Pearl River>Question Details

Elf, Home Buyer in Delaware

Pearl River information please

Asked by Elf, Delaware Tue Sep 9, 2008

We are relocating to Rockland County. We'd love to be near downtown Nyack, but can't find anything with enough space or that doesn't require tons of work in our price range, so now we are looking for something as close as we can get to there. We saw a few places in New City that are in our price range, but the area feels a little more "suburban" than we are used to.

Someone suggested that we look at Pearl River, but we don't know much about the area and haven't had a chance to look up there yet -- The schools seem to be very good, which is important since we may be starting a family soon, but is there any kind of downtown area or walkable area of town? Restaurants, and that sort of thing?? Any info would be appreciated

Answers

5
HI ELF...I AM A LICENSED RE .BROKER SERVING THE ROCKLAND COUNTY FOR OVER 30 YEARS AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU FIND YOUR DREAM HOME . I HAVE A VAST KNOWLEDGE OF THE AREA AND MY OFFICE IS LOCATED IN PEARL RIVER....PLEASE GIVE MER A CALL IF I CAN BE OF SERVICE TO YOU. 914-523-2364 AND E-MAIL AT ...c21PATRIOT@AOL,COM........PATRICK NEALON
Hello. Nyack, definitely has a great transition feel from leaving NYC and arriving in Rockland County. You may question yourself "What am I going to do here in RC". The good news is, Rockland County is very small. You can be anywhere within 1/2 hour. There are several towns that have shops, restaurants and perhaps even a gallery or two. It is always a nice feeling to walk along the sidewalk and window shop and grab a bite to eat.
In addition to Nyack and Pearl River you may also like Suffern. There is a great train line in Suffern as well. Since you have written your question in September, a lot has happened in Real estate regarding: Mortgage rates, first time buyer, and prices may be bit lower. If you are interested in re-exploring any of these areas, please call me @ 845-304-4838 Thank you, Kathleen
Hi Elf,

I know this listing is a bit dated, but I was wondering if you have made the move yet? I live and work in Pearl River which does have a walkable "downtown" area with restaurants and bars. Prices have come down a bit since September, what is your price range? Sometimes the local brokers have listings that are not in the MLS system. If you are still looking and not working with another agent, I would love to help you find your Rockland County home. Maureen McEnroe Joyce Realty 914-588-1873.
Elf,

Pearl River is a very nice area with a downtown along Central Ave. There are a number of restaurants and most importantly there is a Metro North, run by NJ Transit, train station in the center. The train goes into the Secaucus Transfer station where you can connect to trains to Penn Station in mid town Manhattan and into Hoboken where you can take the Path to the Wall Street area. It is definitely an area worth looking into and you will find it less costly than Nyack or New City. If you would like more info, contact me at carmen.dibiase@prudentialrand.com.

You can also visit the Chamber of Commerce website: http://www.pearlriverny.org/
There actually is a "downtown" area in Pearl River which has a lot of bar/restaurants.

You might also want to check out Haverstraw, which is a bit more urban than Pearl River and New City, and some people are touting it as the next Nyack. There is a condo/townehome complex on the hudson that has affordable homes. Here's a link: http://www.gdc-homes.com/community_overview_5.htm