General Area in Seattle>Question Details

TravelJunkie, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

Parking? When you live in Downtown Neighbourhood of Seattle do you pay for parking, do most please include a spot? Do most couples just have one car?

Asked by TravelJunkie, Seattle, WA Sun May 19, 2013

Looking to move to Seattle in the next 6 to 12 months. I live with my partner and we currently have two cars.

You should be able to find a place with 1 car, but 2 will be difficult. there is, in some neighborhoods special designated permitted parking for people that live in that neighborhood. However, I want to disagree with Ray in that I think we have one of the best bus systems in the country given all our topography challenges.

Good luck to you,
Jirius Isaac
Isaac Real Estate Team
Champions Real Estate Services
TriStar Finance #MLO-107799
Office: 425-483-6849 Cell: 206-841-9976
Winner of Seattle Magazines 5 Star
Real Estate Agent Best in Client Satisfaction Award
Mortgage Loan Originator Best in Client Satisfaction
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 19, 2013
Seattle is a city that is increasingly hostile to private automobiles, and friendly to influential developers that have been successful in reducing required parking in new construction. The developers say less parking is more 'green'. The 'green' is what the developers pocket by not spending to build adequate parking for tenants.

The dilemma is, Seattle residents need to drive ---a lot. Seattle does not have a comprehensive subway or rail system. Bus transit is pretty good, but the hilly topography makes public transportation a perpetual challenge. These factors, combined with a trend to reduce available parking, are creating a parking crisis for a growing city. You know parking is a problem when it costs $25 to park for two hours near a downtown restaurant ---after 6 PM.

If you're lucky, you may find an apartment which includes ONE parking space. The 2nd space will come at a handsome price. My suggestion? Look at neighborhoods immediately outside of the downtown ring. You'll find apartments and condos with more than one parking space in Magnolia and West Seattle, for example. If you do your homework, you should be able to find parking for your cars. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 19, 2013

Travel Junkie

Hi there ...made the move yet?...have you been able to figure out solutions for the 2 cars ?
thanks and stay in touch

Dave Skow - WA MLO #278613
Eagle Home Mortgage
w 206 714 9745
Many Condo buildings in downtown have at least one parking space, occasionally you will come across one with two parking spaces, but those are less common. In downtown, parking on the street is one of the most expensive zones to park per hour. Downtown is fairly walkable and has good transportation options one of the most common I see is the car 2 go, a great option for people that don't drive as much. If you need help finding a place give me a call or shoot me an email, my office is right next to downtown. Good luck!
Most places will have 1 parking spot available to you, some have 2 but that'd be an exception. How can my team help in helping you find the place of your dreams?

Eric Anderson, Instant Access Realty
You have to confirm that each property has parking and 2 spots will be an exception, not the rule downtown.
I bought a condo in 1978, paying an extra $10,000 for an inside spot (outside would have been $5,000). Best extra money I ever spent on anything.

To answer your question, it depends on the building, but I agree two spots will be tough to come by unless you're talking a high end unit.