General Area in 07030>Question Details

Avw, Other/Just Looking in Mill Valley, CA

Our young family of 3 is moving from San Francisco to New Jersey. Hubby's going to work in Florence Park, but where to live?

Asked by Avw, Mill Valley, CA Wed Dec 22, 2010

Our family of 3 (son is 1.5) is having to move from beautiful SF to NJ. My husband is going to work in Florence Park. The question is, where do we move to? Do you have recommendations? Hoboken seems very nice, but has a pretty long commute from what we've heard. However, being in our early 30's, we're not quite sure if we're ready for the NJ suburban lifestyle. Although our son does need some space to run around... Ideally we'd find a relatively affordable rental with 3 bedrooms, a (small) outdoor space, some storage, parking, near a park/playground, in a neighborhood with cool shops and restaurants, not too far from Florence Park. Does such a place exist? Where do we look except Craigslist? Thanks in advance for your help!
Anna

Answers

13
Don't rule out living in Florham Park, or surrounding towns! The area is full of young familiies, lots of recreation, shops and restaurants. The drive to the city (Manhattan) is within 30- 40 min (well, not at rush hour!)....Florham Park is close to Morristown - Morris Museum.........also a 15 min drive to Millburn ( cute downtown area with Taylor Park and playground).....shopping ranges from large, upscale malls to small, "Main St" type boutique stores........

The key here would be your price range, as "affordable" is in the eye of the beholder!

There are a lot of choices with either a suburban or more urbane "vibe" - once you make a wish list and take a few area tours, , local agents can help you narrow the choices.

Best wishes..........I know it's not SF, but you'll like it here once you get settled in!!
I am a big fan of the route 80 corridor in Morris county. Towns like Rockaway, Denville, and Parsippany offer great affordability a lot of access to parks and the other criteria you describe. It also puts you close to Florham Park(I;m assuming that's what you meant by Florence Park) I have two little boys who are 4 and 3 respectively and live in the area and we spend lots of times in parks and there is plenty to do.
Ana,

Hoboken has become a thriving family community in recent years. There is quite a lot of children's programs both indoor and outdoor. The Hoboken Family Alliance is a great resource to browse some of these programs at http://hobokenfamily.com its a very good comprehensive list. The other nice thing about Hoboken is that you can easily hop on a train into NYC for a million more diversions for the kids, the possibilities are endless. I am not that familiar with Morristown, but I have been there, and it is another good suggestion. To learn more I would browse their municipal website, they may have information of children's programming. Give me a call if you have any questions (201) 820-7978.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 26, 2010
The Morristown area is a great idea - it is one of our favored urben/suburban areas. In terms of playgrounds, outdoor and indoor, it will have much more to offer than Hoboken. My recommendation on "indoor space" is to include a great YMCA in your parameters. We moved from NYC to the suburbs of NJ when our kids were young and the Y was a central part of their lives - for swim lessons, varied activities and even summer camp.

NJ has much to offer, welcome!
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commtment to Service
Web Reference: http://wwww.feenick.com
OP:
Thanks everyone for your feedback! Much appreciated. After giving it some more thought I think the deciding factor is going to be which town has the most activities for our kid(s). When checking on the weather in NJ I noticed it rains on average about 10 days of the month, so I'm thinking I need to be close to indoor playgrounds etc. With that in mind, would Hoboken be a better fit than let's say Morristown?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 25, 2010
jersey shore is probably a good area.
Hi Anna:

Montclair is a good option, both for commuting & the feel of the town you may like. Another option, is Morristown. It has a nice downtown shopping area & lots of good restaurants, playhouse, etc. Hoboken is a bit more congested than these other two areas & the parking is definitely an issue. You need an apt. that has the parking with it. Your best bet, is to contact a realtor to assist you & get you the information you need. You can also look on Realtor.com for rentals. Welcome to New Jersey!

Elisa Kolenut
Weichert Realtors
Weichert Presidents Club
973-714-3019
I grew up near Florham Park, in the Morris County community of Long Hill Township. I still have friends and relatives there. I no longer live in the area but would suggest you check it out, though it doesn't have a city feel! If you need any info on that town let me know.

Laura Giannotta
Keller Williams Atlantic Shore
Anna,

Thanks for the clarification. I think that Hoboken would still be do-able, about 30-40 minutes by car. Parking can be a problem in Hoboken, so I would suggest looking for an apt with Parking. I don't know of any towns up that way that I can honestly say are like Hoboken. That is a very suburban part of NJ. Montclair is a bit closer and is a bit more hip and up and coming than the rest, the commute difference is about 15 mintues. If you want to explore the Hoboken option feel free to call me at 201.820.7978.
Sorry, I meant Florham Park.
We are looking for a rental, but might end up buying if we like the area and the job works out.
Are there any towns that resemble the city-like feel of Hoboken?
Hi Anna,
My name is Yvette Veideman I am a Realtor at Remax Connection. I have 19 years of experience.
http://www.realtor.com is a pretty nice site to explore. It might be helpful. The Northern part of Burlington County has lovely developments. Are you looking to buy or rent? I will be send you a selection of both id you like. My website is http://www.ListForLessNJ.com
Please feel free to call my cell phone 609-707-1212 and we can discuss your move to New Jersey.
Fondly,
Yvette
Thanks for the question Anna!

Is it Florence Township in Burlington County or Florham Park in Morris County? Because I do not know of a town in NJ called "Florence Park" . Florence Township is about an hour Drive from Hoboken, Florham Park is much closer about 30 minutes.
I think the town you're looking for is Florham Park. Surrounding towns are Madison, Chatham,Livingston, Shirt Hills, FlorhamPark is a great residential area too. You can find listings on trulia.com, GSMLS.com, or realtor.com.