Question Details

Nikki, Other/Just Looking in Florida

Our lease on the house we rent in St Pete, FL and we never received a renewal

Asked by Nikki, Florida Sun Jun 8, 2008

lease from the landlord (it expired April 14). He asked if we were staying and we agreed (but not for a set time) because at the time we were. My husband got job offer in NY and he is taking it. I notified the landlord as soon as I knew (May 31) that we would be moving out before July 11, 2008. Our deposit was for the first and last month's rent. My question is, legally do I have to pay him June's rent when that should be covered in the lease, which has expired? And if so, does he have to return the last month's deposited amount if the lease is up???? HELP PLEASE!!!!

Florida Landlord Tennant Laws are covered under Florida State Statues 83. I have attached a link here with some information on regulation if you do not find the answer your looking for call the 800 number on the link which is the consumer section of the Florida Dept of Agriculture and ask for help.

If you stil dont get an answer contact Legal Aid in your area

Juan Oliva
Mortgage Consultant
Asap Mortgage & Investments Inc.
Mortgage Banker/Correspondent Lender
Fax 561-969-9087
Approved FHA Lender
Apply on Line @
You need to get a copy of the landlord tenant act in your state and see what the rules are. You may want to contact the real estate department.
Web Reference:
Florida law requires the Tenant to provide the Landlord with a sixty day notice. Which means even if your lease expired your rent responsible until July 31. Unless there is a different stipulation in your lease agreement of a 30 day notice. Read your lease he must follow its content.