General Area in Mobile>Question Details

rich251, Home Buyer in Mobile, AL

Once a property has been auctioned at the local courthouse, what is the easiest way to find out how the amount of the winning bid?

Asked by rich251, Mobile, AL Sat Jul 28, 2012

I'm specifically wanting to know about Mobile, AL auctions.

Thanks.

Answers

7
lisa.mcleod’s answer
Go to mobilecounty.org. Do a records search under the probate court (you will have to register for free). If the foreclosure deed has been recorded, it is usually stated in that document.
Be at the auction or call the foreclosing attorney !
The others are correct - probate and tax records. I've purchased a number of properties at the courthouse, and the quickest will be probate. Tax records should record this information (isn't always accurate) but it will take much longer to populate online. Probate will have the info fairly quickly, but you'll have to use the legal description to attempt to find it. Send me a personal message and I'm happy to discuss further with you. Take Care.
In my area tht is the most confusing number for a buyer looking to purchase a lender owned property. When the forclosing lender "wins" the bid at auction they own the property for a lot more than that. The cost of ownership to the forclosing lender is the outstanding balance of the mortgage, attorney fees, court costs, advances for property taxes and insurance, property maintance costs if the property has been abandoned, eviction fees, clean out costs, ad infinitiem, and yes the sheriff fee for the auction which in my area is a percentage of the sale price.

The lender if they "win" at auction will now dispose of the asset/liability at fair market value not at a price derived from what was bid at auction.
If you can't find out what you want on-line, check the tax stamps on the deed. Learn the tax rate and do the math. Works except for transactions which are not arm's length, such as between family members.
Thethe Mobile County Probate website.
Sales prices are public record with the tax accessors office. If you have the address, you will be able to find the price at which the property sold.