General Area in Old Saybrook>Question Details

Lizbw, Home Buyer in Old Saybrook, CT

Old Saybook beach associations

Asked by Lizbw, Old Saybrook, CT Thu Jun 16, 2011

As I've been browsing Old Saybrook, CT, listings, it seems that location is very important because it determines which beach association you belong to, e.g. Indian Town, Knollwood, Chalker, Fernwood and probably a lot more. Which one has the nicest physical beach? Which one has the best amenities? We're a 30-something couple with a baby from NYC, so we'd like something family-friendly with good swimming (we like to swim).

Also, is there a main beach where people go too? Or do they just go to their individual beach? THANKS!

Answers

7
Hi Liz,

Every beach community is different in size & make up and I think that the Old Saybrook, Old Lyme & East Lyme beaches have their own unique features. I suggest visiting to make your own determination.

Kevin
Web Reference: http://www.kevingeysen.com
What about the private association beaches in Old Lyme and East Lyme? Do any of them of the amenities of the ones in Old Saybrook?
Old Lyme Beaches are flatter, wider, sandier, less rocks. White Sands Beach is available to all town residents. Rocky Neck in East Lyme is state park, as is Hammonasset in Madison.
Thanks so much everyone for sharing your insight! I really appreciate it, as I was not able to find this info in my online research.

I have another question: How do these Old Saybrook beaches compare to the Old Lyme & East Lyme beaches?
Good Morning Liz,

I also am partial to Knollwood since I am a summer resident of that community. My kids, who are now older, had some of the best experiences of their lives there! The community offers tennis, basketball, and open area for play near the club house. The beach offers swimming, a pier where you can access the water & swim raft as well as a rock jetty where the kids love to crab, fish and find mussels and snails. Cornfield Point is very nice but the beach is smaller and more crowded. Indian Town has a very nice beach area and amenities such as boat and jet ski docks. Chalker Beach offers a community beach environment with club house and beach parking.
The town beach is located between Knollwood/Cornfield Point and Indian Town and offers low tide sand bars for longer beach walks! All are very family oriented. Are you looking to purchase or rent.
Kevin
God morning Liz~I think the nicest physical beach is Cornfield Point. I live in Knollwod and it is probably the second nicest physically. The Knollwood neighborhood also has a park and clubhouse. The park has a couple of tennis courts, playground /swingset area and a field where a lot of kids play wiffle ball etc. It also has the 'big' sledding hill in Old Saybrook. Fenwood is right next to Knollwood and is a bit smaller but also quite nice. Indiantown and Chalker Beach seem to have a larger summer community whereas some of the others are more year round. There is the Town Beach which is public - for any town residents -and it has amenities; a snack shack, lavatory, outside shower to rinse off with. Harveys Beach is also open to for any residents but I don't believe there are any amenities. All the beaches in the area are family friendly- a feeling that seems to spread town-wide not just at the beaches.
Remember that these are Long ISland Sound beaches so they are all quite small relative to say, Narragansett or South County, RI.
Mary Lee Blackwell ~ Prudential Ct Realty ~ Old Saybrook Office ~ maryleeblackwell@prudentialct.com
Hi Liz...There are also two public town beaches, so you don't have to live in one of the private beach communities to have access to a nice beach. Bill Foster, Broker. bill@mitchel.net