General Area in 78217>Question Details

Regi, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Newlywed son lives zip 78217. My hub & I are considering purchasing. We know little about Tx. Advice?

Asked by Regi, Chicago, IL Wed Dec 26, 2007

Answers

11
Good evening, to answer your question; San Antonio is broken down by smaller cities and the surrounding areas. For example, I'm a retired military veteran and working full time in the real estate business, I find most people like the nature of living near a military base, (comfort? maybe). however, we have some excellent cities here that are only less 30 minutes from the Alamo, and built up!!. The cities are called Cibolo, Schertz, (where I actually live), Garden Ridge and loads more. Email me and I will be more than happy to help you with your homebuying needs. Lucky for you, the San Antonio are is still thriving thanks to the military, which I'm proud to be affiliated with, growing industry, and, we're in Texas, we have gas and oil!!! You maybe be closer to $4 a gallon of gas but we're still cheaper than the rest of the nation!! Life is great in Texas!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 18, 2008
Regi,

Congrats to your newly wed son! I'm sure you're starting to contemplate the move to perhaps move closer so that if the idea of grandchildren comes up; you won't be too far away? If so, I can identify 100%. I moved down to the fantastic city of San Antonio 9 years ago from Indiana. All of my immediate family still resides up there, so every year they have to fly down once or twice (or vice versa) to see our children and family here.

Obviously the major difference is weather. The normal cold down here for us can get as low as the low 40's at night and then warm right back up to mid 60's and low 70's by 4 pm. The cold snap may last for a combined 2 months if that. It really starts to get toasty around March, April and then won't stop until late September, October.

Driving is a HUGE difference too. We have "frontage roads" throughout and everything is much more spread out here than up North. The traffic really isn't bad compared to inner Chicago at all, but since everything's so spread out; it may still take you the same time to get from A to B because of distance.

If you would be needing to find employment; our economy and job growth for the area has still pushed us to healthy levels as we are having more and more major employers move into our great city. If you would like to know more about SA's economy at a snap shot: copy and past this link here. http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.tx_sanantonio_msa.htm

There is so much to do and enjoy here in San Antonio. If you are looking for outdoor activities; the list goes on and on. If you do ever need more specific information; I'm sure you can talk to any great Realtor here or even your son; so I'll just end this by telling you a fact that I find most important about this city. San Antonio is the 7th Largest City in the US, but you almost could never know as the people here are by far the most friendliest you can find. It's a large city with that small town feel! I love it!
Web Reference: http://www.exposedhomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 27, 2007
I grew up in 78217 depending on your budget there are several well established neighborhoods that are right around the area. It is a good location if you are going to need access to I35, Loop 1604 or Loop 410. There is a new housing development coming in off Higgins road and they have a shopping center coming in off 1604 and Bulverde road so the area will have more to offer within the coming months and years. It really depends what you are looking for San Antonio has a huge diversity of communities within the city and it really has something for everyone.

I was born and raised in San Antonio and will be more than happy to assist in any way I can, give me a call @ (210) 422-6293
Call me. I work in a Home Finding Center in San Antonio, TX...I have LOTS of information...Whatever you need to know...My direct line is 210-301-2997...my cell # is 210-430-2055
Hi, I personally live in Zip 78217, I love it, older established neighborhoods, convenient to shopping, expressways etc. but some of the newer communities just north of there are also great. Texas and San Antonio in particular are great places to live-lower cost of living, no state income tax and friendly people everywhere!! Let me know if I can Help.
Web Reference: http://www.eldonbaker.com
You will find a lot of info about SA on my Web site. If you don't find what you want to know, contact me. If you decide to move to SA, you should enter into a buyers' agency agreement with a REALTOR.
First of all congratulations on your son’s recent marriage! My search of 78217 pulled up 92 active listings with an average asking price of about $130,000. I am very familiar with that part of town, in fact, I have a client who just went under contract in that same zip code last night. Please shoot me an email and let me know more about your search criteria and I can send you specific homes. I know you said you are unfamiliar with purchasing a home in Texas and I would be happy to assist you through the process at no charge to you. Thank you! jennifersimko@kw.com
San Antonio is a very interesting city, but it is a city, traffic concerns, cost of living higher, high crime, why not have the best of both worlds, look at Fredericksburg, only 70 miles from SA, low cost of living, safe, and a great place for your son and his family to come to visit. check out http://www.zillow.com 108 W. Centre, Fredericksburg, Texas 78624.......Ask your son about Fredericksburg, it is a beautiful little town with alot to do and would be a fun place for the family to gather. Our home is the perfect home for entertaining and a walk to Main street, to visit all of the antique shops, brewery, cafes, superb cuisine, you would have the best of both worlds.
The Texas Hill Country is a great place to live. We are selling our home. You can check out the photos on http://www.zillow.com or http://www.fsbo.com #95055. On Zillow just type in the address, 108 W. Centre Fredericksburg, Texas 78624. This is an exceptional home. I have MS and our family is in Waco, we have found a home in a gated community there that will fit my medical needs. Fredericksburg is a wonderful town, safe, lots of things to do. Please check it out...Kathy Schroeder 830 997 1917
I'll try this agian! My family moved here from Washington state due to a transfer and I was a real estate specialist for 10 years prior to the move. I felt I did all the research needed to make the move. I was very wrong. Please do yourself a favor and call the utilitiy companies directly to get an idea of the difference in expense. I went off what I read on all the real estate sites and they were about wrong as it could get. We paid $2400 a yr on a $310,000 home in a gated community, on an acre and in a good school district and here we pay $4047 with a discount on a $240,000 home in a very rural area, terrible schools (misinformed), you need to dodge the pot holes on the county maintained road. The utilites are sky high!! We pay three times the billd here for water, two times for electric, twice for the trash. For what? The service is horrible. Please do your research! Talk directly to the source, do not believe what you're told or read from the fime people of Texas. Once here, the area is beautiful, however the low price you pay for a beautiful new home on acreage doesn't make up for all the high bills to keep you up and running. We lived just outside of Seattle and one would expect higher prices there. WRONG!
You'll find San Antonio warmer for longer and, conversely, not as cold during the winter and practically no snow.

I'm not familiar with the tax structure in IL, but in TX there is no income tax (maybe not a major factor if you're retired) but high property taxes compared to most income tax states.

I've known a number of folks that have moved from the mid West (primarily St. Louis) and most have enjoyed the area and stayed. We moved here from St. Louis 14 years ago and fall in that category. Those that moved back tend to have lots of family they left and return for that reason.

This is a tough thing for a real estate agent to say, but you would may be better served renting initially until you're pretty certain the stay in San Antonio is long term and to give yourself a chance to see if the area is for you.

I'd be glad to respond to specific areas of concern on this forum or via my website!
Web Reference: http://JimRooks.com