General Area in Sonoma>Question Details

kecdunk, Home Buyer in Sonoma, CA

My wife and I want to settle in Sonoma in 4 years. We have looked at properties from Sonoma to Healdsburg.

Asked by kecdunk, Sonoma, CA Fri Dec 13, 2013

This will be our retirement spot for 1-2 acre vineyard, compound for possible B&B, tennis court. Maybe 5-10 acres. Sonoma County is so large and cannot possibly see everything, but want the ultimate spot. We like the heat more than fog and dampness. Any suggestions would b great -- Thanks -- KC

Answers

6
Hello KC. Most of Sonoma valley does get the heat and would then avoid coastal Sonoma county. Much of what you are looking for depends on the zoning and price wanting to spend.

At present, you can vacation rental properties in Sonoma county, in unincorporated areas. A country B&B, would almost have to be licensed already. There are several B&Bs for sale in Sonoma county, but mostly within city limits; not on acreage necessarily.

My top picks to begin your search, would be Sonoma, Healdsburg, Glen Ellen, Kenwood and Bennett Valley area of Santa Rosa.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 15, 2013
Hi KC,
You have chosen the best spot to retire - the beauty, climate and people of Sonoma County can't be found anywhere else! For the warmer climates that you jprefer Sonoma Valley area and Healdsburg would be your best bet - those 2 cities also offer the best of wine country living with lots of small hobby vineyards and wine enthusiasts. Check out my website for an always current list of homes for sale anywhere you would like to search. I have lived in Sonoma County for 30+ years (Sonoma Valley for 20+) and am very familiar with the different cities and neighborhoods.
Please call or email with any questions,
Julie Sullivan
707-921-6237
juliemsullivan11@gmail.com
http://www.JuliesWineCountryHomes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 13, 2013
Hi KC,

Welcome (in advance) to Sonoma County!

For a warmer climate I suggest Glen Ellen, Kenwood, Sonoma Healdsburg and possibly the outskirts of Windsor. The Reibli valley area or Bennett Valley areas outside of Santa Rosa are not quite as warm but are still protected from some of the fog. Some less expensive alternatives would be Cloverdale and Geyserville to the north.

For more info. please feel free to contact me anytime.

Mike Stone, Broker
707-836-3445
mike4realestate@yahoo.com
http://www.sonomacountyhomepro.com
I undertook a similar search in 1999 and have been selling country properties throughout Sonoma County since 2003. I too looked from Sonoma to Healdsburg and Sebastopol and Santa Rosa. Most of my clients are (as I was) searching for the right combination of setting, land and amenities rather than a specific community--we have many charming communities to choose from with a diversity of country properties surrounding them, and most are relatively close to each other so you can still enjoy a wide range of small towns from your new farmstead!

You are right to be sensitive to climate as we have a wide range of microclimates and the coastal influence can be strong. I agree with Terry that it is important to team up with an agent who can be your eyes and ears on the ground and who works beyond just a single community or two--not all do. You also want someone who is knowledgeable in well, septic, zoning and other aspects of country living who can help you to cut to the chase in your search. Also you want someone who you will enjoy spending time with and who can use technology tools such as video to aid your search. Feel free to contact me if you would like to see if we are a good fit and would like to speak to some of my satisfied clients as a reference.

If you are not planning to purchase for four years I anticipate that the values will have risen significantly during the next four years. Some of my clients are buying prioperties now to use as vacation or rental property anticipating a full time move here several years out.
Well, the first thing you need to do is find an agent to help you search and research, and who will be able to send you regular emails to learn about what is currently available, price information and prioritize your needs, as you know, every home is unique and the pluses and minuses according to your needs will take time to really become apparent. The second thing I would highly recommend is that if you are not already living in the area, that you consider purchasing a temporary abode as your "command post" so to speak, and have a place to come and visit and spend time on weekends to search for your dream home. Fortunately there is so much online in the way of photos, videos, information. If you are living in this area, you might want to consider buying a house that is currently rented or has two houses on the property, so it will generate income until you are ready to move in.
Feel free to give me a call, having lived on 80 acres, I am very familar with the issues of country property here in beautiful Sonoma County!
Terry Bell, Realtor
Creative Property Services
Sonoma County, CA 707-292-5712
TerryinSR@aol.com
http://www.TerrysHomes4sale.com
BRE#01414808
I would be happy to help you find your ideal retirement spot here in Sonoma.
Please e mail me with more specifics.

Theresa Pardini
theresa@bradburyandpardini.com

Coldwell Banker Brokers of the Valley
Sonoma

707-939-2615
Calbre #01745540