General Area in Houston>Question Details

Mervyn Stone, Renter in

My wife and I are relocating to Houston from the UK on 8th July 2013. Best / safe neighbourhoods and other area advice please.

Asked by Mervyn Stone, Thu Jul 4, 2013

We are a young acting 50 year old couple, no kids, no pets. I will be often working away somewhere in the US and my wife does not yet drive so walk score is important as is safety. We are open to either condo / townhouse or single family home and at this stage wish to lease although purchase in next 12 months. Any advice for suitable areas in the area is very welcome

Answers

13
Mervyn,
I am originally from the UK and have been here in the Houston area for 30 years. My husband travelled a lot and I completely understand what you are looking for with regard to a temporary and permanent residence. I can help you understand some of the differences you will experience here and get you on the right path with regard to neighborhoods. If you are not working with an agent already (I only just saw your post as I have been in the UK for three weeks visiting family) I would be only too happy to help you. My contact information is below.

Elaine Grier
Keller Williams Realty Professionals
832-472-9825
ecgrier@kw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 17, 2013
The Galleria Post Oak Blvd has shopping Whole Foods and many upscale restaurants all walking distance. Feel free to call me do I can send you some properties to preview before your move to Houston. Thx. Kerry Wald Realm Realty. Cp832.274.1831.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
There are some exciting housing opportunities in three areas of Houston that you would find viable areas to live in (bike paths to work, easy access to light rail, unique restaurants,specialty shopping, etc).

Please let me know how I may assist you in your query for an appropriate Houston home. Thanks!

Best wishes,

Chuck Fattore
713.858.7077
I have a wonderful townhome in a gated community in Northwest Houston. Walking distance to a Lifetime Fitness and many stores and restaurants. It's a lovely 2 BR 2 1/2 BA on 1960/249 in the Willowbrook Community. Sounds perfect for what you're looking for...up for lease now...please contact me or my agent at 713-977-7469.
Melvin,

Good Morning, The Montrose/neartown area is a solid, safe and very "walkable" community. Here is the link to the walkscore...http://www.walkscore.com/score/montrose-houston-tx... Also areas like Rice University, The Museum District, and the Memorial Parkway corridor. However the Montrose area is in my opinion the leader and best choice. There is a wonderful community of different cultures. Almost all you necessities are within an 15min walk. The is an abundance of public transportation and it is a community that you can grow with. I know safety is a concern for you, here is the link to the Houston Police Department's interactive crime map...http://mycity.houstontx.gov/crime/disclaimerPage.aspx... You are looking for the "Central Division," "District 1," "Beat 1A20 and 1A30." In my opinion the area is very safe, but I think it is best for you to see for your self. You might think otherwise. Melvin, I would life to discuss this information in greater detail. My skype is Brandon.Jenkins. Also, congratulations on you move to Houston. I hope you come to love this town like so many of us do.Thank you for your time and consideration.

Brandon Jenkins
NewHomePrograms.com, LLC
832-377-1721
I have a house to rent if you interested very nice beautiful house in Pearland tx 77581 available from August 1st 2013. Just let me know what is your rent price should be good for you or what is your price rang ?. You can email me on staneja47@gmail.com
Thanks for the reply, but the south east Houston is not one of the areas I will be looking in.
Flag Thu Jul 4, 2013
Hello Mr. Stone,

July 8th is around the corner......... I am assuming that you have a temporary place to stay while you are looking for a lease.

There are several areas that come to mind, however, it seems like you must have access to transportation at least initially until your wife starts driving. I would suggest the Uptown Galleria, Midtown and Downtown areas including the Heights, to begin.

Areas, such as Katy, Sugar Land, Cypress, Spring etc. are wonderful areas, however, you will have to decide if the suburban life is something that appeals to you or if you prefer the city areas, once you get here and know Houston a little bit more.

Is the commute distance to your work important to you - and where will you be working when you are not travelling for work?

Another important factor would be your budget so we can help you locate the right properties and you can make an informed decision.

I am available if you need more information. Feel free to contact me at the information below.

Persis
713-294-7747
persis.realtor@gmail.com
http://www.har.com/persis
Hi Mervyn, as the agent below indicated, Rice Military and surrounding areas are wonderful for what you are looking for. They are mainly single family/townhomes in that area and within walking distance to great shopping and a 5 minute drive to Downtown Theater District. I personally live in Rice Military and have been here for the last 16 years. This area caters to a couple such as yourselves. Of course there are townhomes in the Midtown area and great restaurants and shopping. At this stage you do not give any indication as to where you will be working. That might determine the area for you. Please give me a call at 713-582-6937 or email me at gail.levin@kw.com and I will be able to forward you some properties to view. I hope you have a safe trip to the US.
Hi Mervyn,

Picking a location will largely depend on what your and your wife’s interests are. Suburban areas may leave your wife feeling a bit isolated as most outlying communities are not within walking distance of shopping and entertainment venues.

The Rice Military/Memorial Park area offers both traditional single family homes and more new age lock and goes needing little maintenance and appeal to young to middle aged professionals. Memorial park is a hub of social activity including running trails, soccer fields and other sporting opportunities. On nearby Washington Avenue you will find open air ice houses and many other interesting shops.

The Heights is a unique community with a mix of homes with 1950's charm and modern three story homes that are replacing the older homes that are beyond refurbishing. This community has a mix of young to middle aged professionals (hippies and yuppies) and retirement age residents. 11th Street runs east/west through the heart of the The Heights and offers a variety of entertainment, social and dining options. I have enjoyed many a relaxing afternoon enjoying lunch and a fine tap brew on the deck of the Onion Creek on 11th.

These are just the first two communities that pop into mind; there are many others such as the Montrose where alternative lifestyles are embraced, the Galleria which has a very upscale feel or you may like the University/Med Center area which is close by the Houston Zoo, the Miller Outdoor Theater where numerous free concerts are held and home to many museums and art exhibits.

These areas are also very bicycling friendly. Give me a call if you would like to discuss these and other options in more detail. My phone number is 281-798-4100.
Hi Mervyn, The areas I think you might consider are Memorial, Katy (Cinco Ranch area) and Sugar Land. They have easy access to the Energy Corridor and a lot of expats who work in the energy industry choose to live in these areas. You should be able to meet some of your countrymen. The bus service is limited the further you go out from the city.You could choose a place within a short distance of a shopping center.The bus service is more available the closer you get to town so you might want to look into those options. Here is a link to the Metro bus site. http://www.ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/SysMaps.aspx
Fort Bend also has limited bus service. http://fbctransit.org
Let me know if I can be of service.
Heather Mackinnon
832-964-5619
hmackinnon@remax.net
I would never recommend someone new that can't drive move the the far suburbs and then suggest Metro. Really? That is not good advice.
Flag Sun Jul 7, 2013
I would recommend the Sugar Land area. But there are additional information needed to make a sound decision. My info is listed below. Give me a call.
Fraisy George
Celll: 832-725-0988
What is your budget? I specialize in relocating, and quick moves, and can even have you approved for something fabulous prior to your arrival. With the way my process works you fill out 1 application and pay 1 application fee, and can apply to multiple homes. Feel free to contact me whenever it is convenient for you.

Javary Daniel
Champions Real Estate Group
281-777-5779
TOTALMOVEINTX.COM
Mervyn ...

Welcome to the Colonies ... how ironic that this message comes on the 4th of July.

I can recommend several areas ... it all depends upon what your priorities are. Since your wife doesn't drive, it would be best to look at public transportation ... we're a bit behind in terms of rail, but what we have is excellent. I'd begin at Galleria, The Heights and Montrose. I think you'll find what you want in one of those areas. Incidentally, Realtors are not permitted to determine whether an area is "safe." I'll be happy to provide information on crime statistics in the areas you decide to pursue.

If you'll e-mail me at the address below with a bit of additional information, we can begin. I'll have some properties for you to see beginning on Tuesday ... just let me know where you'll be staying, and I'll make the necessary arrangements. I'll need to know what your budget is, and whether you or your wife are smokers.

My wife/working partner have welcomed many new Houstonians, some from as far away as Dubai. We'll be happy to both find you a great place to live and acclimate you to your new surroundings. Please get in touch as soon as possible, so that we may begin getting things together. There's lots to see.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards ...

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
al@geffon.net
Web Reference: http://www.har.com/algeffon
Houstonians WTF people who are born in Houston are Houstonians come on dude.... dam
Flag Thu Jul 4, 2013