General Area in Orlando>Question Details

Friends From…, Home Buyer in Orlando, FL

My wife and I are moving to Orlando in April, we are thinking about buying in the Dr. Phillips or Windermere area. Thoughts about time/neighborhoods?

Asked by Friends From Iowa, Orlando, FL Sat Dec 18, 2010

If anyone has any thoughts about the school districts, short sale/foreclosure advice, time to buy, great communities within these areas, etc. that would be great!

Thanks!

-Friends from Iowa

Answers

17
A great choice. Pretty much everywhere within Dr. Phillips or Windermere will have excellent schools. It is not really that large a geographic area. So while there are small difference between individual areas, it will really come down to which house your fall in love with.

Bank owned properties are getting to be fewer and fewer in these areas. If you see one you like, so will lots of other buyers. Be prepared to act quickly and NEVER fall in love with bank owned property. In terms of short sales I advise my clients to avoid three things: 1) properties where the listing agent has never closed a short sale, 2) properties with 2 mortgages, and 3) occupied short sales. There are still plenty left after ruling those out.

The time to buy is when you need to move. Your own home is where you live, it's not really an investment despite all the hype your hear from most people in this business. All comes down to rent and get nothing or buy and see if you can build some equity. That plus when you own you can do what you want with the property unlike a renter who is very limited in what they can do. Given the state of prices today and assuming you are financially stable, then your time to buy is now.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Mark LeMenager
Find your next house with the click of a mouse.
Search the MLS without obligation or registration from my website.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 18, 2010
Friends from Iowa,

This is a great time to buy, especially in the Orlando area. We have been in the distressed market for some time now and have the process streamlined. The homes are priced to sell and the sellers, whether distressed or not are extremely motivated.

There are many great areas in Orlando that could fit your general criteria that you have mentioned. Dr. Phillips and Windermere are included in these areas, however there are some others to compare. Depending on your overall goals and needs, will ultimately drive your location. Contact your agent to help you search through the communities, the first step is to find that perfect location! Once that is established you will be able to find your dream home!

Best of Luck and I am glad you have thought of the Orlando area!

Jeramie Vaine
jvaine1@gmail.com
978.870.9429
Web Reference: http://www.jeramievaine.com
We have agents in the area that can help you and who share the commision with the buyer.
Go Hawkeyes!

Send me your criteria on the home you want and I can start searching for you. April will be here before you know it. And depending upon if you want to purchase a short sale now would be the time to start looking. I have lived in Orlando going on 19 years. Dr. Phillips or Windermere are great choices.

Tom Langmann
orltoml@aol.com
407-571-1448
Hello My Friends,

Welcome to Florida. Your move should be an exciting one. The areas you chose are amazing. I lived in Windermere for 10 years and just recently moved to Avalon, of which is also a great area! Now is the time to buy, prices are on the move and you do not want to be one of those people who shoulda, coulda, woulda! I would love to show you around when you arrive and welcome you in to are amazing state! Please contact me and let's find your dream home together...

Have an amazing day!
Rebecca
407-491-5578
RebeccaWalters@kw.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 19, 2010
Friends from Iowa,

As a fellow Hawkeye, originally from the Quad Cities and actually an Iowa State alumni, I welcome you to Florida. We have lived here for over 7 years and know the state very well. If you are set on an Orlando address you cannot go wrong in the areas you are targeting. If you are open to other areas of the state you truly should consider northern Palm Beach County for an amazing quality of life. Here is a blog I did on the area as a brief introduction and if you would like any additional information on Paradise please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

http://tompriester.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/jupiter-rocks/

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Web Reference: http://www.tompriester.com
Both of the areas are very nice and are very desireable areas. They both have gated and non gated communities that will fit your needs.
I find that the Dr. Phillips area is closer to Orlando and most desireable restaurants and shopping needs. Another factor to consider the drive to work and location.
I would recommend, if possible to make a trip prior to your move to actually see the different areas and compare. I have sold several homes in both areas and would highly recommend a trip to see the different styles of homes and get a feel for the communities. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of service to you and your wife.
Happy Holidays!!
Bob Multari
Real Living Real Estate Solutions
6401 Raleigh st.
Orlando, Fl. 32835
407-694-8890
Bob.Multari@RealLiving.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 18, 2010
Hi Friends!

You must be so excited (and maybe a little bit nervous?) about your move.

Both Dr. Phillips and Windernere are great places to live. On the whole, Dr. P is more established and you will find that the drive to most amenities will be much shorter there than in Windermere. Both neighborhoods are quite desirable, and the market in both areas are showing signs of stabilization and perhaps even beginning to increase in price. There are still AMAZING opportunities in both areas, but I would recommend not getting your head set on one particular "type" of sale. The good ones go fast, regardless of whether they are traditional, short sale or REO, and the converse is true of bad or overpriced ones.

Basically, you can rest assured that you will find the house and neighborhood that suits you in either of these areas; there is a huge variety in ages and sizes of homes.

One thing to keep in mind: You almost cannot drive a straight line from anywhere to anywhere in Orlando. This really surprised us when we made the move here about 3 and a half years ago. Just because something is "only" 3 miles away doesn't mean that the drive will be 3 miles. Windermere seems really close to Orlando, when you look on the map, but the actual drive can actually be quite circuitous. around lakes and switching-back to get to toll roads. Google maps can be your friend here; if you have an area you are thinking of living and know where you'll be working (say) you should map it.

I. personally, really like the gated community of Orange Tree in Dr. Phillips. Great central location, private golf course, walk to famed "Restaurant Row" (and bars) and shopping, A rated school district and a really beautiful mature Florida landscape.

Alys Esmond
321-695-5593
HI Friends
Great choice. I live an work in the Windermere area and Drive through Dr Phillips every day. I would suggest one of the gated subdivisions in Windermere. Some great prices here at the moment.

Hve a look at http://www.frontlinefloridarealty.com/Windermere

type in your requirement in the advance search option ot just let me know what you are looking for and I will help you find it.

KInd regards

Alan@FrontlineFloridaRealty.com
Friends From Iowa:

Dr. Phillips (Bay Hill) and Windermere are the two of the top and most preferred neighborhoods in Orlando and surrounding areas. April is a great time to buy,..you will have plenty to choose from as far as new, short sale, bank owned, and regular sale priced homes in the inventory. The mix of new and established is also available in both neighborhoods with Windermere having more distressed properties (short sales and bank owned) as well as non-distressed houses.

Please let me know if I may be of help to you.

Paulette Korr
407-592-6356
Welcome to Orlando Florida. I made the move 3 years ago. Both area you mentioned have excellent schools, and good neighborhoods.
I would also like to add the Lake Nona area of Orlando. Another town to consider is Saint Cloud. It is a smaller town feel than Orlando. You can find home here with a little more land around them

Bank owned and reo are good buys. Short sale have a tendency to take longer than other types of sales.

I would be happy to assist you in your relocation.

You can e-mail me at henn_russell@yahoo.com

Have a great holiday

Russell Henn
Keller Williams at the Lakes
Kissimmee, FL 34744
Dr. Phillips is a great place to live with excellent schools and it is convenient to everything including dining, shopping, theme parks. Windermere is also a wonderful place to live but depending upon where you are in Windermere the schools may not be as good. Both areas are actually very close to each other and you really can't go wrong with either. My wife and I live in Dr. Phillips and have 2 small children and we couldn't be happier with the schools.

If you need help searching for a home we would be honored to assist you with your home search. Also feel free to visit the community section of our website it will give you more information on both areas and also allow you to search for homes in Windermere and Dr. Phillips for free.

Good Luck!!!

Chris Christensen (407) 312-8003
Broker/Owner
Regal Real Estate Professionals
Hey Friends,

Dr. Phillips is a good area with a mix of old & new communities and good schools, also i would focus on the area between Disney and Windermere that again has good schools but mostly newer communities.

Some short sales go quickly (45 days) but most are longer, it depends on how many loans (1st, 2nd, 3rd), types of loans (hopefully no home equity loan), who the loans are through and lastly do the real estate agents on both sides (sellers agent and buyers agent) understand the process.

REO's are a little tight on inventory currently but that is changing as banks ramp up again so you should be good to go there by April.

As to the communities in these areas I will need a bit more criteria to help there.

Feel free to call me anytime to discuss the areas at 407-330-0060.

Hope this helps,

Dave Lowe, Broker
GRI, ePRO

Community and Family Values
Web Reference: http://OrlandoHomeStore.com
I'd definitely go with a bank foreclosure... why pay full price, although options are beginning to narrow as inventory starts to dwindle. You also need to know what you're doing with these deals to make them successful however. We've been working exclusively with distressed sales around this area for the last couple of years so feel free to check out our site below and get in touch if you need further assistance. School wise, you can't go wrong in this neighborhood.
Many thanks!
Hello, there are many neighborhoods in the Windermere and Dr. Philips area. Please visit my website http://www.SearchingWindermere.com. You can also reach me at 407-506-6853. Thank you, Lucas Evans
It's a great time of year to be shopping for a home - weather will be nice - new inventory will be available and we will hopefully be benefiting from tax returns! Dr. Phillips and Windermere both offer great schools and convenience to popular restaurants, shopping and even close proximity to Orlando's famous theme parks! That location is in the heart of everything and is very desirable.

If you haven't selected a REALTOR® to help you with your home search I would be more than happy to help you get started with some preliminary steps to be prepared for April. My name is Carla Stanton and you can reach me at 321-356-3370

I grew up in Central Florida and work for Prudential Florida Realty and I would love to help you find your spot in this great town!
Excellent area. Call my cell 407-408-5167 or e-mail me at glf929@hotmail.com and we can talk about what you are looking for and how I can help. George @ Keller Willams Realty.