scott.j.ritc…, Other/Just Looking in Miami, FL

My wife and I are considering where to retire (about 10 years out) and are looking at New Hampshire as an option. What are some towns to consider?

Asked by scott.j.ritchey, Miami, FL Fri Sep 14, 2012

We aren't too concerned about being close to Boston, in fact we aren't looking for a city type of environment. That said we have to have culture and activities available to us (museums, historical sites, theaters, shops). Family friendly is a must, good restaurants, picturesque. Also very important is reasonable real estate/property taxes - I hear they can get pretty crazy in NH! Thanks!

Donald Mituzas’ answer
I agree with Joe that Portsmouth is a great option. I would also consider nearby Durham, home to UNH. College towns tend to be a hub of activity as well as having a lot of places to eat at reasonable prices. This area also puts you close to Maine and lobster country. I bet Joe could help you with information on both places in NH.
Don Mituzas
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2012
Hello Scott,
I was looking at the other answers and would also recommend Lakes Region, around Lake Winnipesaukee. This is located in Central New Hampshire and is a vacation destination to so many. Although not close to the city for access to museums, etc., you are about an hour away from Concord/Manchester and two hours to Boston. We have many activities all through the year and there is always something to do. As far as taxes, Moultonborough is only $8.61/thousand, Center Harbor is $10.96/thousand, and Meredith (super cute town) is $12.51 per not bad. Also, the property values maintain their value, as this area is highly desirable.

I have attached a link below for reference. Let me know if you have any questions.

Web Reference:
Portsmouth is certainly nice but it will depend on what type of home, the age requirement and how big of a lot you need. There is a sharp increase in prices as you get closer to the coast.

I myself love Durham in the summer, but tend to avoid it in the winter with the increase in traffic and noise when the college kids come back to town.

There are many nice areas of NH. Scott I can certainly show you all of them for you to look at and pnder any pros and cons of each.

Although Manchester is a very good option, Portsmouth is Great. Everything you have mentioned in your wish list fits perfectly there as well as Manchester but, has the Seacoast appeal!

I'd be happy to send you along some information if you would like, you can reach me at 603-488-6272 and email

Joe McCarthy
Scott I can certainly help. The two choices that come to mind are the suburban areas of Manchester which has some very nice neighborhoods, more land and easy access to the culture you seek. If yolu want to circle out to one of the communities around Manchester, you can get a more rural feel but be within 15 to 20 minutes of shopping, restaurants etc. If you would like some help please email me at and I can certainly help.