General Area in 14612>Question Details

D Childs, Other/Just Looking in Rochester, NY

My nieces house seems to be sinking. The kitchen is definitely slanting. Would this be covered by insurance?

Asked by D Childs, Rochester, NY Sat Mar 28, 2009

This is a garage home built in the 50s. No basement and is sitting on beams. It is definitely moving. Could Homeowners cover this?

Help the community by answering this question:


Go with Sal's idea. A sinking floor is not always an easy fix and can be very expensive. If you're lucky a rotted board or two and not something major. Get a pro to look at it sooner than later.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 2, 2011
Before contacting the insurance company. May i suggest that you contact a home/building inspector for a detail inspection.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 2, 2011
Often houses built without basements come with these types of complications. I would suggest consulting a structural enginer!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 23, 2010
WHY is it sinking? Sometimes houses built on foundations have rotten sills. The beams on top of the foundation rot and then the house sinks. Even though you have no foundation you have the beams under the house, Probably one(or more) of them is needing to be replaced. I would bet on it being considered maintenance issues and not insured. Is it happening because of a sinkhole? Depending on the policy that may or may not be covered.

You have to find out WHY the problem exists.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 4, 2010
Your best answer lies with your nieces home insurer. If they are not insured contact several agencies in person to research what kind of answers you get. Use you favorite search engine (ie Google), search
"Rochester NY home insurance" to find agencies.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 4, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer