General Area in Los Angeles>Question Details

Flowers, Home Buyer in Las Vegas, NV

My husband's job is moving us to the west coast. We can pick anywhere we'd like, and we've narrowed down between Old Town

Asked by Flowers, Las Vegas, NV Sun Jul 11, 2010

Rancho Santa Margarita, Irvine and San Diego area. I know that sounds sooo spread out, but have been narrowing down from Oregon down the coast, so we've actually gotten it down as far as we can with not knowing anything about any of the areas. We are going to rent initially until we decide for sure what area/school district we prefer. But looking for a nicer (higher end, but with middle end possibilities), A school district, a mall (with at least a Nordstrom), boutiques and sidewalk cafes and easy driving (as in avoiding highways). Can rent a SF or TH, 1 to 3 levels ok, and thinking up to $2800/mo would work. Definitely must be safe neighborhood since have 2 young children. Any advice on which towns would work better?

Answers

6
Catherine Bedrossian’s answer
Welcome to California. It is great that you are going to be renting initially, because The LA/OC basin is one of the most diverse areas you can find. You should make it a point to drive around on the weekends and see what parts of the area you like better. Do you need to be close to an airport? If so, Irvine is a good choice. Although personally I find Orange County a bit too manufactured and not diverse enough.

I live in the South Bay area, where we have great schools, fantastic air quality, close to LAX, close to the cultural areas of LA such as West LA and Old Pasadena. In my opinion the South Bay is one of the best places to live in the wolrd. Make sure and check it out when you are here, you may just fall in love with it like I did.
Thank you for your question about Southern California. Irvine is the best place to live 'hands down.' Rancho Santa Margarita and San Diego are all modeled after Irvine.

The Irvine Company is the largest property owner in Orange County and has property in San Diego as well. The master planning of The Irvine Company is second to none. They think about everything.

The city of Irvine has won many awards, including being the safest city in America many times. Please feel free to visit my website for more information.
Hi everyone!

Wow, thanks for all of the links and great suggestions! So I've been able to nix norCal as I just don;t see it being a great fit for us...beautiful but not for us as a living situation. My husband's commute isn't much of an issue as he'll be opening an office where ever he chooses...which will be near where we end up living. We definitely still want to rent - so we're not 100% committed to a particular area, and also b/c we still own our home in Delray Beach, FL...which is upside down. Anyone want to buy a vacation home in sunny Florida?! So I am now trying to figure out between Del Mar, Carslbad, Cardiff, Irvine and Old Town Pasadena...hard decisions. Currently we're in Las Vegas. But I'm not even sure IF we can afford anything out there with the taxes...we're a single income, 2-car family with one of our children in private school...is it going to be tough living comfortably on $150k/yr? Honesty is much appreciated :o) I really don't know how people do it!
Hi Flowers,

Congrats! You are going to love living here in So. Cal. My cousin & her family were relocated here for a job assignment. His office is in Manhattan Beach & they found a great house to rent in Tustin (near Irvine) on a golf course. They really love it there, the community, the schools, the shops! The down side is he commutes at least 3 hours a day, traffic can be a stickler here. If you're looking for schools, shopping, planned community...Irvine is my pick, also look into Tustin. I lived in Irvine for a few years & loved it.

Santa Monica, is also great for what you are looking for too :)

If you need an agent, let me know, I can refer you to my cousin's.

Hope that helps you,

Kim
Web Reference: http://kimandkristine.com
I think you'd like Irvine. It fits the parameters you've described to a T. Consider, as well, your husband's commute time. That will make a big difference in which community you should choose. Do you know his office location yet? If you need an agent referral for those areas, let me help. I work with the most knowledgeable and experienced agents in Southern California.
Deborah Bremner
REALTOR, 00588885
(D) 818.564.6591
TheBremnerGroup@gmail.com
Blogging at: http://TheBremnerGroup.com/news