General Area in Brisbane>Question Details

Minicooper, Home Buyer in Brisbane, CA

My husband and I can't decide between buying a home in the oakland hills or peninsula. Any recommendations?

Asked by Minicooper, Brisbane, CA Thu Dec 15, 2011

Our criteria for a home is affluent, good schools, nice view, quality unique home (not development), close to BART, great for raising a family.

Answers

10
Hi Minicooper,
The answer to your question is very simple, do you work on the peninsula? Every morning I enjoy watching the early morning news only to see the traffic on the freeways and all the time wasted.
In todays culture, living close to work is the trend and it only makes sense.
I would vote for the peninsula, but I don't know your full situation. If both or one of you work in the East Bay, then I would see that being a more viable option. However, being in the Brisbane area, you may miss the ease of San Francisco and the peninsula being to easy to access, as opposed to the Oakland Hills, where every time you wanted to go into San Francisco or come back to the peninsula, you would have to cross a bridge or take BART. We would hate to see you go and there are areas on the peninsula which have great schools and are affluent by anyone's standards. So many areas of unique homes!

Let me know if I may help further. Happy Holidays to you and your family! Sharon
Mini,

Art Linkletter was famous for saying, "Kids say the dardest things....."

Children have a way of viewing things for what they really are but are often overlooked in the buying process. Regardless of age, we would strongly encourage buyers with children to actively engage them in the process.

Who knows, they just may be able to see through a lot of the things that may be getting in the way for you and provide you with the clarity you need to move on. Never overlook the wisdom of a child.........

0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 16, 2011
I'm trying to envision BART close to the Oakland Hills:
Close to 24?
I'd say if you like the A's then go for Oakland,
If you like the Giants, you can't live in Oakland.
Does that help?

Good luck and may God bless
Perhaps doing a pros and cons list for both areas might be helpful. I'm not familiar with the Oakland Hills; and without more information, it's hard to say if the Peninsula would be a good fit.

Best wishes
Vicki
Everything else being equal, I would vote for the peninsula. I believe you'll have a greater selection there.

Oggi Kashi
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to error and omission, and not warranted.
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com
As a follow up to Ron's comments, it's true that most agents/brokers don't work in multiple areas, but there is a huge benefit if you can find one that does. There's nothing wrong with using two different agencies, but having to coordinate with multiple agents/brokers and tell your story to multiple agents/brokers makes the process a lot more time consuming and complicated.

Because we're based in San Francisco we've had lots of clients who had children and fled to the suburbs of both sides of the bay, plus we have a lot more who can't decide whether to get a smaller place here to live in the city or bigger place elsewhere and commute.
You will find people who would recommend both! Sounds like you could benefit from the guidance of a real estate broker with years of experience. Someone who can really listen to your needs and wants and help you sort out what is really important to you. Having someone different for both sides of the bay would probably be best as I don't think you could really find someone who is that familiar with both.

Ron Davis
Real Estate Broker, GRI
Web Reference: http://www.liveinnorcal.com
It all depends on lifestyle and budget, but take note that many areas of the oakland hills have soil instability issues - this might make the difference. We work in both areas if you don't want to deal with multiple agencies.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
First of all, depends on where you work if you are and commute;
Peninsula is very convenient to commute to San Francisco and San Jose, East Bay and Half Moon Bay as there are al the freeways easy access - 101, 280, 92.
And all yours other criterias are also there - good schools, nice view, quality unique home (not development), close to BART, great for raising a family.
Let me know if I can help you anyhow in locating your next home
best regards
Val
http://realtyfinancial.com
info@realtyfinancial.com
Web Reference: http://realtyfinancial.com