General Area in 08201>Question Details

Edward Miller, Other/Just Looking in Absecon, NJ

My husband and I are currently disabled and awaiting for a SS decision. He is 61 and I am 48, We have an

Asked by Edward Miller, Absecon, NJ Fri Jul 25, 2008

income of about 900 a month and moved in with a person who is renting the home in June. We learned today that he is not paying the rent and we are now being evicted on the 1st of september. We have a written agreement with the other renter and have reciepts to show we paid on time. What our rights regarding the eviction? The landlord has said we can stay provided we catch up with the remaining rent of 1600 and pay the rent for September of 1300 but we do not have the funds. Please any help will be greatly appreciated. We have no where to go.

Help the community by answering this question:


It sounds as the person you were paying rent to is the person who signed the lease. That would mean that the contract (lease) is between that person and the landlord. If he/she has not paid the landlord, then everyone in the home can be evicted for non payment of rent.

You can probably take the person who has been taking your money to court to try to get it back, but even if you have a written agreement with that person and the lease states no subletting, you may not be able to recoup your losses.

Contact your county court to see what your rights are. They will give you an idea of how to proceed. I am not an attorney and cannot legally advise you. This is the landlord tenant law as I understand it.
You also might try contact the state for subsidized housing. It sounds like you would qualify.

Finally, stay in the apartment as long as you can. An eviction typically takes a month or two, depending on the court's schedule. Save whatever money you can and wait for the notice to come. Once you are served, you can go to court to plea your case or wait for the sheriffs' office to give you notice with an eviction date.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Feel free to reach out to me with any additional questions.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 27, 2008
Youmight need to speak to an attorney regarding the eviction. But first I would suggest you contact the Atlantic County Board of Social Services and explain the situation.
You might also try speaking with the landlord and trying to work something out. Try the County first.
If you require a rental in the Absecon area you can contact me.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 26, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer